Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2019, 9:47 pm

Programs: Delta DM, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Stupid mistake

I transferred points to Virgin Flying Club last year and issued and flew an outbound JFK-HND in ANA First. I set the return for this April at a random date, with the intention of changing the award and paying a $50 fee when I knew I wanted to travel the other leg. Despite keeping a big spreadsheet with all my redemptions, I totally forgot to call in and make this change. Essentially I no showed. Is there any way to change this to a future date by paying the fee? Or any other advice?

Thanks
Old May 5, 2019, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Very successful first NH booking.

Have been stalking award availability for next March. Transferred in 25k from Marriott about 3 days before my return was slated to become available (took 2.5 days).

Called up just after midnight ET and was able to put 2x RT F on hold for ORD - NRT // HND - ORD.

Transferred in from both AMEX (with 30% transfer bonus) and the rest from Chase.

Called back and easily processed -- total taxes and fees were $270/person.

Process was easy and the AMEX bonus was icing on the cake to give me a bonus 12k miles and hold onto more Chase and AMEX for future use
CosmicGirl, 747FC and IndyHoosier like this.
Old May 8, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: MR Titanium Elite/LTP | UA Silver | HH Gold
If I book for myself and my gf with flying club miles, I can get around the ANA family-only rule, right?

I'm sitting on 90k NH miles but have enough Amex and Chase to go the VS route for both of us, and I'd prefer to book us both on one itinerary to be safe.
Old May 8, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by sirentninja
If I book for myself and my gf with flying club miles, I can get around the ANA family-only rule, right?

I'm sitting on 90k NH miles but have enough Amex and Chase to go the VS route for both of us, and I'd prefer to book us both on one itinerary to be safe.
YES
Old May 8, 2019, 1:26 pm

Booked for a winter visit to Japan. Unfortunately not availability for LHR-HND in J, so had to book FRA-HND instead.

Will position using BA
Old May 8, 2019, 5:29 pm

Yes, I booked my GF and myself on ANA F using Flying Club miles earlier this year.
Old May 9, 2019, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MrPie
Booked for a winter visit to Japan. Unfortunately not availability for LHR-HND in J, so had to book FRA-HND instead.

Will position using BA
Saves APD, so not the end of the world... Leave lots of margin for winter travel delays. The night before if you're on the early flight.
Old May 9, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by majortom421
Yes, I booked my GF and myself on ANA F using Flying Club miles earlier this year.
got a question, how easy was availability?
Old May 9, 2019, 7:01 pm

We got the exact dates and flights we wanted each way for two people so I would say it was pretty good. We booked exactly 330 days out; initially booked a dummy return flight then changed it later to the actual date we wanted as soon as it opened.
Old May 9, 2019, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
This is a vey good thread, those of you in the know are much nicer than in other forums.
I have 181k VS and plan to travel November of 2020, 2 seats in J hopefully into Osaka but Tokyo would be ok - we plan to visit southern Japan From what I have learned if I start from ORD I would need 6k more spend on my VS card (1.5 per $) but if we fly to SFO/LAX using AA miles I’m good to go?

We book the outbound with a return the day after we land - wait 2 weeks, find the return date we really want, pay $50 - change the return?

A lot of people have told me VS miles are worthless, maybe they are wrong.
Old May 10, 2019, 12:27 am

Does anybody have experience sitting on ExpertFlyer alert and waiting for a seat in F to open up? Specifically for the JFK-NRT route, but other anecdotes are welcome too.

I called at T-330, but was only able to snag one seat. I stalked EF beforehand, and did not see two seats available anyway, so I'm assuming only one was released. I'm looking to book for my partner and myself, so my plan is to keep the JFK-NRT seat for her and put myself on ORD-NRT, so (worst case) at least we'll arrive in Tokyo around the same time. But I'd prefer to change over so we're on the same flight, obviously.
Old May 10, 2019, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kmandrew
This is a vey good thread, those of you in the know are much nicer than in other forums.
I have 181k VS and plan to travel November of 2020, 2 seats in J hopefully into Osaka but Tokyo would be ok - we plan to visit southern Japan From what I have learned if I start from ORD I would need 6k more spend on my VS card (1.5 per $) but if we fly to SFO/LAX using AA miles I’m good to go?

We book the outbound with a return the day after we land - wait 2 weeks, find the return date we really want, pay $50 - change the return?

A lot of people have told me VS miles are worthless, maybe they are wrong.
You would have to pay more miles to tag on the flights to/from Osaka. Personally I would keep it simple and fly from ORD if that's home base. Only as a backup plan - due to a lack of award space from ORD - would I consider positioning within the US (leave lots of extra time so you don't no-show the ANA flight)

Once in Japan you will probably want to move around on the Shinkansen with a Japan rail pass anyhow.

But yes... the most cautious people book the outbound and return as you suggest, then pay to change later.

VS worthless? Not at all... but you do have a fairly limited subset of decent reward options.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond

I
Originally Posted by craigthemif
You would have to pay more miles to tag on the flights to/from Osaka. Personally I would keep it simple and fly from ORD if that's home base. Only as a backup plan - due to a lack of award space from ORD - would I consider positioning within the US (leave lots of extra time so you don't no-show the ANA flight)

Once in Japan you will probably want to move around on the Shinkansen with a Japan rail pass anyhow.

But yes... the most cautious people book the outbound and return as you suggest, then pay to change later.

VS worthless? Not at all... but you do have a fairly limited subset of decent reward options.
We would probably fly into ORD/SFO/LAX the night before to be safe, as you suggest I’ll bump up my mile to 190k.
I forgot I have Thank You Points + Chase Sapphire - I think both transfer to VS or simply spend 6k on cc over the summer. As others have mentioned the VS site is very bulky, it wants us to pay 82.5k one way pp on Delta, I did find a few 60k from MSP and LAX on Delta One with only $5 in fees.
Old May 10, 2019, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
Does anybody have experience sitting on ExpertFlyer alert and waiting for a seat in F to open up? Specifically for the JFK-NRT route, but other anecdotes are welcome too.

I called at T-330, but was only able to snag one seat. I stalked EF beforehand, and did not see two seats available anyway, so I'm assuming only one was released. I'm looking to book for my partner and myself, so my plan is to keep the JFK-NRT seat for her and put myself on ORD-NRT, so (worst case) at least we'll arrive in Tokyo around the same time. But I'd prefer to change over so we're on the same flight, obviously.
In my few weeks of stalking before my booking above, I didn't see 2x on the ANA JFK flights at all in either directions (I'm based at RDU so was agnostic to JFK, ORD, IAD, and IAH -- ended up that both IAD and ORD were available for my dates and I picked ORD due to Polaris lounge on outbound and ability to use Avios to book the AA direct flight on ORD - RDU on the way home).

I saw plenty on ORD and IAD flights (and more limited IAH flights) -- I assume JFK they keep to just 1 since they have a much better shot of selling out that cabin vs. their other F cities
Old May 10, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
Does anybody have experience sitting on ExpertFlyer alert and waiting for a seat in F to open up?
Yes. Got EF notification for 2 F awards, NRT-HNL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.