Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Old Apr 29, 2019, 4:19 pm

Any recent experiences trying to book award tickets out of JFK to HND/NRT in F or J? Seemingly impossible to find ANA saver availability on UA, even as far out as possible. Any tips or suggestions? I'm aware of T-330 and booking a round trip to return the next day, just to secure the outbound and eat the $50 change fee. Am I better off looking for availability out of IAH or ORD? Any advice is appreciated - thanks.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kchao1213
Any recent experiences trying to book award tickets out of JFK to HND/NRT in F or J? Seemingly impossible to find ANA saver availability on UA, even as far out as possible. Any tips or suggestions? I'm aware of T-330 and booking a round trip to return the next day, just to secure the outbound and eat the $50 change fee. Am I better off looking for availability out of IAH or ORD? Any advice is appreciated - thanks.
Two comments...

1. ANA members get to book flights roughly a month before partners.
2. If you're aiming for cherry blossoms 2020 that's obviously a popular time to visit Japan so it's entirely possible that seats won't be released until much later (if at all)
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Two comments...

2. If you're aiming for cherry blossoms 2020 that's obviously a popular time to visit Japan so it's entirely possible that seats won't be released until much later (if at all)
Thanks, I will need to use UR points unfortunately so that only leaves the VS redemption option. I was under the impression that cherry blossoms were during April so late May should avoid it, though understandably it coincides with Memorial Day holiday in the US.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:15 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by Kchao1213
Thanks, I will need to use UR points unfortunately so that only leaves the VS redemption option. I was under the impression that cherry blossoms were during April so late May should avoid it, though understandably it coincides with Memorial Day holiday in the US.
late May .... this year? For next year you would have to wai a while to book (unites/va are 330(?) days out)
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by blitzen

late May .... this year? For next year you would have to wai a while to book (unites/va are 330(?) days out)
2020! Yes, I have T-330 already set on my calendar for the departure date I'm interested in. Just trying to learn any additional tips or tricks to improve my likelihood. Out of curiosity, I was looking at ANA F/J availability on UA T-330 from now and the calendar looks pretty scant for all of February/March 2020.

What I've learned so far is:
  • At T-330/329 - book the desired departure date and book the return for the next day to secure the departure and eat the $50 change fee when you rebook the actual desired return date later on
  • Look for departure/returns on Tuesday-Thursday for best availability
  • Since JFK can be tough to find availability, consider IAH/ORD/IAD
  • F may have better availability than J
Any additional suggestions here? Thanks.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
March-early April as well as first week of May is ultra high season for JPN. Not surprised if those aren't available.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
March-early April as well as first week of May is ultra high season for JPN. Not surprised if those aren't available.
Sakura Season and Golden Week
Old May 1, 2019, 3:01 pm

Good afternoon. I am looking to book ANA for the Olympics in 2020, departing on 7/22 and returning on 8/6. Do you guys see it being realistic to find 2 J's if I wait the 330 days for availability through Virgin, or should I just transfer directly to ANA and book as soon as available 365 from the trip?
Old May 1, 2019, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
...Golden Week
As long as you are flying in the opposite direction of Golden Week you should be ok.

Of course it is a horrible time to visit Japan since hotels will be crazy expensive and tourist attractions full of Japanese visitors...

Originally Posted by 305fonzi
Good afternoon. I am looking to book ANA for the Olympics in 2020, departing on 7/22 and returning on 8/6. Do you guys see it being realistic to find 2 J's if I wait the 330 days for availability through Virgin, or should I just transfer directly to ANA and book as soon as available 365 from the trip?
Don't expect award seats of any kind for Olympic dates, even 365 days in advance.
Old May 1, 2019, 3:19 pm

Sakura Season and Golden Week
I'm shooting for last two weeks of May 2020 so presumably there should be decent availability...hard to say out of JFK though I suppose.
Old May 1, 2019, 4:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Two comments...

Yea even looking for several months from now I had a hard time using ANA miles. Can't imagine how difficult it is to redeem with VS miles.
Old May 1, 2019, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Red259
Yea even looking for several months from now I had a hard time using ANA miles. Can't imagine how difficult it is to redeem with VS miles.
I had no problems when looking F for 2020 sacura season .... but I booked the morning ANA released award space .... VS is cheaper (especially with the 30% Amex transfer bonus but more of a gamble)

Last edited by blitzen; May 2, 2019 at 5:07 am
Old May 1, 2019, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by CatchFlightsNotFeelings
1) Is it permissible to fly a "round trip" originating and returning to different cities? Like JFK-NRT-ORD, for instance?

What if they are in different zones? Like JFK-NRT-SFO, or JFK-NRT-HNL? How does this get priced?
Does anyone know if this is allowed? Specifically the different zone.
Old May 1, 2019, 9:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by westsai
Does anyone know if this is allowed? Specifically the different zone.
I know I booked from different cities within the same zone so for example I fly out of chicago to japan and then fly back from japan to new york. The starting and ending points are the same zones though just different cities. I would think flying back to a different zone would make it two one way tickets and not a round trip but not 100% sure.
Old May 2, 2019, 1:44 am

I'm also preparing to book for 2020. Does anyone know what time the seats are released at T-330?

And this is probably a stupid question but can they put one person in F and one person in J on the same PNR? Probably not but I'd like to make sure because it appears they only release one seat in F per flight from Europe.

Last edited by CosmicGirl; May 2, 2019 at 2:01 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.