Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2019, 5:32 am

Lap infant question here.
I want to confirm that I can book ANA via VS and pay a percentage of the points total and avoid paying a percentage of the actual fare? I pay VS these miles? Also if flying ORD-NRT then NRT-TPE and back the same way how many extra miles would that add to the 95k in business class?

Last edited by aln10788; Apr 7, 2019 at 5:57 am
Old Apr 7, 2019, 4:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Fortune Wings Club Gold
Originally Posted by sgtbucky
Hi there, wife and I flying from DC to Japan this weekend and unfortunately due to some name change issues and rewards bookings through Virgin Atlantic, we are now split up to one in First Class and one in Economy.
There are 3 first class seats available for purchase as of now and upon calling ANA, they said that there are 0 people on the awards waitlist.

Any idea when/if these seats would be released to awards? Anyone have any last minute success stories?
If they don't release them, is there a chance of upgrading at the airport upon asking? (It's our honeymoon)

Thanks all!
I'd give you less than 1% odds of getting those seats. ANA doesn't release last-minute inventory in almost all cases and will happily fly even with only two people in the first class cabin. I say this having flown ANA F on LAX-HND RT where there was only me and one other person in the F cabin, and 6 empty seats. 3 seats available for purchase means 5 seats are taken.

There's a less than 0% chance that ANA would ever upgrade for free a non-elite booked in economy paid with partner award points to first class for free. I would bet my entire life savings on that.

On the plus side, one of you is flying ANA F to Japan, one of the best first class products in the world on a quite long flight, so cheers that that!
Old Apr 10, 2019, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by sgtbucky
Hi there, wife and I flying from DC to Japan this weekend and unfortunately due to some name change issues and rewards bookings through Virgin Atlantic, we are now split up to one in First Class and one in Economy.
There are 3 first class seats available for purchase as of now and upon calling ANA, they said that there are 0 people on the awards waitlist.

Any idea when/if these seats would be released to awards? Anyone have any last minute success stories?
If they don't release them, is there a chance of upgrading at the airport upon asking? (It's our honeymoon)

Thanks all!
I'm interested in knowing the answer to this! Let us know how this turns out
Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:13 pm

Redemption for relative

Is it possible to use Virgin miles to book an ANA award for a relative, when you are not on the itinerary? I was hoping to fly my mother from Japan to the US via transfer of UR points. Thank you in advance.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Kaishin
Is it possible to use Virgin miles to book an ANA award for a relative, when you are not on the itinerary? I was hoping to fly my mother from Japan to the US via transfer of UR points. Thank you in advance.
Yes not a problem with VS
Old Apr 15, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: Perennial Free Agent
Originally Posted by travelbugging
Yes not a problem with VS
I know ANA restricts to family members. Does VS have any such limitation? Was planning on booking my gf a ticket on ANA using virgin.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by lkar
I was originally booked on an open jaw in business. SEA-NRT and NRT-SJC. 90,000 miles were collected.

After my booking, IAH to NRT opened in F on the outbound and I called in to check if I could change just the outbound. The agent was able to set it up and it ticketed fine. I paid the $50 change fee.

However, I see that an additional 30k miles were collected. Is this correct? As I understand it, IAH to NRT roundtrip in F is 120,000. But I thought that on a mixed class trip -- J one direction and F the other -- they collected half of the relevant roundtrip for each. So, I was expecting that it would be 45,000 for the SEA-NRT let and then 60,000 for the IAH to NRT.

Was I mistaken? Does the one leg in F mean the entire award is priced as an F award even though the return is in J?
It should be a split cost. I did Iah-nrt J on the way there and F back, it cost 107.5k

It's possible the difference in location messed things up maybe, but I agree it should have cost you 105k
Old Apr 15, 2019, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Jerkstore
I know ANA restricts to family members. Does VS have any such limitation? Was planning on booking my gf a ticket on ANA using virgin.
no restrictions through VS when booking flights on ANA metal. You can book for your gf
Jerkstore likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by travelbugging
no restrictions through VS when booking flights on ANA metal. You can book for your gf
This is correct. I did exactly this in December 2018 for flights in October 2019.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:54 pm

Hi Guys,

Sorry if this is a stupid question. If I am trying to book ANA through VS to Tokyo from LAX 330 days out, I will have to wait 330 days until my return flight correct? There is no way to reserve the first outbound flight ahead of time before the return flight is within 330 days correct?
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by dman22
Hi Guys,

Sorry if this is a stupid question. If I am trying to book ANA through VS to Tokyo from LAX 330 days out, I will have to wait 330 days until my return flight correct? There is no way to reserve the first outbound flight ahead of time before the return flight is within 330 days correct?
Yup. However if you absolutely need to have that departure date you can book that departure date and a return flight (within the 330 day window) and then pay a small change fee of $50 once your desired return date is available.
Maestro Ramen likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by dman22
Hi Guys,

I booked my outbound 329 days out and a return flight for the very next day. The VS agent was not at all surprised by this so it must be something they see all the time.

Two weeks later, I changed the return flight to my desired date for a $50 fee.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Anyone know if you can change the return leg after flying the outbound?
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond; VS Gold; Uber Diamond
1) Is it permissible to fly a "round trip" originating and returning to different cities? Like JFK-NRT-ORD, for instance?

What if they are in different zones? Like JFK-NRT-SFO, or JFK-NRT-HNL? How does this get priced?

2) Is it correct that only space that shows on UA as "saver" is bookable by VS? Like Business Saver and First Saver?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:06 am

Bagged myself a reward in Business for return leg of my upcoming Japan trip - 15,000 VA miles and Ł8.61 in taxes.

Still keeping eyes peeled for First before I travel in 19 days

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.