Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
[Disregard. Deleted.]

Last edited by milesforhire; Feb 13, 2019 at 2:57 pm Reason: Found the answer
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:14 am

Wow, so they increased the tax/fee (doubled it basically). Surprised no blogs reported on this. A major devaluation, not as bad as BA yet though, but way more than anybody else (in Star Alliance world the most).
Though they still have low change fees.

This time the agent I could barely understand. Not sure where her accent is. And the way of saying certain things, like "double 5" for "55" (when I was reading my credit card).
Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Wow, so they increased the tax/fee (doubled it basically). Surprised no blogs reported on this. A major devaluation, not as bad as BA yet though, but way more than anybody else (in Star Alliance world the most).
Though they still have low change fees.

This time the agent I could barely understand. Not sure where her accent is. And the way of saying certain things, like "double 5" for "55" (when I was reading my credit card).
what fee did you pay?
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by osxunf

what fee did you pay?
Tax/fee in 2017 was $169. Now it is $352. For a round-trip first class award ticket from US to Tokyo.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Tax/fee in 2017 was $169. Now it is $352. For a round-trip first class award ticket from US to Tokyo.
What is wrong with that amount?
Old Feb 18, 2019, 5:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Fortune Wings Club Gold
This isn't a new change. If you look through the rest of the thread, you'll see this increase happened several months ago due to oil price increases. ANA fuel surcharges aren't arbitrary and are actually tied to fuel prices through Japanese government regulation.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by aquanine
This isn't a new change. If you look through the rest of the thread, you'll see this increase happened several months ago due to oil price increases. ANA fuel surcharges aren't arbitrary and are actually tied to fuel prices through Japanese government regulation.
Thanks, I did not know when it happened though obviously between 2017 and now.
But for the mileage game this makes VS redemptions a worse deal than prior (eg UA does not charge the surcharge)
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Fortune Wings Club Gold
Looks like fuel surcharge will be reduced in a few weeks: https://www.ana.co.jp/en/us/book-pla...fuelsurcharge/. Specifically, after April 1.

For US-Japan bookings, it will go down from from the current $258 roundtrip fuel surcharge to $172 roundtrip fuel surcharge. Other taxes/fees will stay the same. Hope oil prices continue to stay low.

Last edited by aquanine; Feb 19, 2019 at 10:28 pm Reason: clarify date meaningfully
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:29 pm

Looks like fuel surcharge will be reduced in a few weeks: https://www.ana.co.jp/en/us/book-pla...fuelsurcharge/. Specifically, after April 1.

For US-Japan bookings, it will go down from from the current $258 roundtrip fuel surcharge to $172 roundtrip fuel surcharge. Other taxes/fees will stay the same. Hope oil prices continue to stay low.
So if I change my flight later, would they recalculate?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:32 pm

So if I change my flight later, would they recalculate?
No. To my knowledge, changing your flight does not change the original booking date and does not recalculate taxes/fees. You would need to cancel entirely and book a new itinerary. The problem is that cancelling may not release your seats back to saver availability, meaning if there were no other available seats, you would now be screwed.
milesforhire likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:06 pm

No. To my knowledge, changing your flight does not change the original booking date and does not recalculate taxes/fees. You would need to cancel entirely and book a new itinerary. The problem is that cancelling may not release your seats back to saver availability, meaning if there were no other available seats, you would now be screwed.
I changed my ANA F flight (booked using VS Flying Club points) back in December, and they did recalculate the taxes/fees. I had to pay an additional $0.20 (plus the $50.00 change fee). The fuel surcharge had not been changed at that point so I don't know if that would be recalculated if you change your flight.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 1:33 am

I managed to bag 2 reward seats for May, LHR - HND - my partner is in First both legs, I am in Business on way out, Economy on way home.
Been checking United daily to see reward availability and if can get either of my seats bumped up but alas nothing as yet.

Am really quite pleased with what I have, but is it possible ANA might release more reward seats nearer the time of travel?
For example, for flights next Thursday (we fly home on a Thursday) and the Thursday after, United shows Business availability.

Possible might be similar nearer the time we travel in May??
Old Feb 22, 2019, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Antony Jackson
I managed to bag 2 reward seats for May, LHR - HND - my partner is in First both legs, I am in Business on way out, Economy on way home.
Been checking United daily to see reward availability and if can get either of my seats bumped up but alas nothing as yet.

Am really quite pleased with what I have, but is it possible ANA might release more reward seats nearer the time of travel?
For example, for flights next Thursday (we fly home on a Thursday) and the Thursday after, United shows Business availability.

Possible might be similar nearer the time we travel in May??
Pretty unlikely, less than 15% chance for business and less than 25% chance for first. ANA allows their own members and elites to waitlist for flights using ANA miles, so they get priority before any saver availability gets released to partners. If you go over to the ANA forum, you'll find it hard to find many non-elite ANA members who even got off the waitlist for any biz long-haul flight. Higher chance for first since first via ANA miles costs double what business does, so it's less likely to be waitlisted.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 2:36 am

Ok - thanks for replying. Can be keep looking
Old Feb 22, 2019, 5:16 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Didn’t I just read somewhere that United started to block ANA award availability? “Technical problem”

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.