Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, CC Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, DL PM
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Is there a decent website to search for award space?

I find ANA's website difficult to use (the calendar always says "seats available", even when really there is only waitlisted stuff, so you have to click through to see each day individually to see if there is really space, making the calendar useless).
United is slightly better but it doesn't let you filter by airline, so I get a bunch of results from other airlines that I'm not interested in flying. Also changing dates resets your filters, so I get 70+ results per day to scroll through to see if there is actually ANA availability in the class that I want.

I've heard good things about the VS phone agents, but I think it's easier to do my own searches, if there's a decent tool.

My travel dates are completely flexible, and I have lots of UR points that I can transfer to VS... so I just need a way to find out which dates have availability.
On United, the fastest way is to search for one way, nonstop flights for each of the 9 (excluding MEX) city pairs from North America. That way, you can run through the calendar dates fairly quickly. Even though the calendar might say that there are no premium seats, I still click through as sometime the ANA flights do not show up.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:39 am

I have somewhat of a 2 part question.

1. I have enough VA points to book a RT first ticket in ANA for my partner and myself. I assume I will be able to use my points to book myself AND my partner even though we are not married?

2. I am confused with the award availabilities and waitlists. If I understand correctly, VA can not see until 330 days from today. I've checked availability on both experflyer and ANA awards search. And it seems quite difficult to find availability even though first cabin is wide open. I assume it is accurate when they say there are no seats available before I call VA to book.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: Eurostar CB, HH D, IHG Spire, Easyjet Fight Club, Ryanair...oh, wait.
https://united.com is the easiest way to search for availability on ANA, then you can call Virgin and ask to book.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:51 pm

Programs: American Express Membership Rewards, Marriott Rewards Platinum
rjruiz --

1. You can redeem Flying Club miles for both you and your partner.

2. VS will only book tickets 330 days out, although award inventory is bookable by other ANA partners (including UA and AC) before that time. ANA does not reliably release award inventory, even if a given cabin is empty.
rjruiz likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:47 am

Love VA customer service!!!! Hands down the best customer service I've experience in my entire life, seriously. Very curteous, to the point, knew exactly what I was talking about. Bravo. As a quick datapoint, just booked our ANA flight using 240k miles + $683 fuel surcharges and fees. Seems like the taxes and fees went up a little. She did confirm with me that it is $50 per person cancellation or change fee with full refund of both miles and taxes and fees as long as it is not within 24 hours of departure, otherwise you forfeit miles and fees. Also they can hold flights for 72 hours now instead of 48.

Thank you Virgin Atlantic!!!!
IndyHoosier and milesforhire like this.

Last edited by rjruiz; Nov 29, 2018 at 9:18 am
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by rjruiz
Love VA customer service!!!! Hands down the best customer service I've experience in my entire life, seriously. Very curteous, to the point, knew exactly what I was talking about. Bravo. As a quick datapoint, just booked our ANA flight using 240k miles + $683 fuel surcharges and fees. Seems like the taxes and fees went up a little. She did confirm with me that it is $50 per person cancellation or change fee with full refund of both miles and taxes and fees as long as it is not within 24 hours of departure, otherwise you forfeit miles and fees. Also they can hold flights for 72 hours now instead of 48.

Thank you Virgin Atlantic!!!!
how many people was that for?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by bernyx
how many people was that for?
2 people.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 3:55 pm

can you only book USA to Japan reward flights on ANA or can you also book USA to SE Asia?
Old Dec 4, 2018, 9:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bernyx
can you only book USA to Japan reward flights on ANA or can you also book USA to SE Asia?
You can book anywhere ANA flies. . .

https://www.ana.co.jp/en/us/amc/refe...int/usage.html
Old Dec 6, 2018, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
You can book anywhere ANA flies. . .

https://www.ana.co.jp/en/us/amc/refe...int/usage.html

is there better value on the miles using Virgin, for example if you were flying RT ORD to BKK
(vs using ANA miles)
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:33 am

Just booked USA to NRT and back.

Found the award availability on the United site and called in.
Really easy to book although the accent was a bit hard for me to understand.
Award availability changes a lot.
Fortunately the ones that I wanted were still available when I booked it.

Tickets were issued immediately and could get seat reservations on ANA.

Thanks !!
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz PC, HH Dia
Found availability ORD-HND in F and NRT-MEX in J.

Called VS to book and they are saying ANA is releasing no seats to them, zero award availability - even though both Expertflyer AND United show saver award space available.

What are my options here? Hang up and try again?

Are the starting and ending points the issue (i.e. starting in US and ending in Mexico)?

Last edited by WillSkiGT; Dec 11, 2018 at 12:01 pm
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by WillSkiGT
Found availability ORD-HND in F and NRT-MEX in J.

Called VS to book and they are saying ANA is releasing no seats to them, zero award availability - even though both Expertflyer AND United show saver award space available.

What are my options here? Hang up and try again?

Are the starting and ending points the issue (i.e. starting in US and ending in Mexico)?
how far out are the flights ?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz PC, HH Dia
Originally Posted by blitzen

how far out are the flights ?
Late Feb 2019 for the outbound and mid March 2019 for the return.

From doing a bit of digging on the ANA award booking website, open jaw awards must begin and end in the same country.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:26 pm

Booked JFK-HND and NRT-ORD (no availability coming back to JFK, but ORD is wide open) for Labor Day. Initially the agent booked the return leg leaving from HND which is too early for me. So called right back after receiving the confirmation email. No $50 change fee since the call is within 24 hours. The three flights match the availability found on United.com. Tax and fee is the same for the two bookings at $341.53, a bit lower than the $346.43 quoted on ITA. The ticket retails for $22,729, amazing value and amazing agents!
IndyHoosier likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.