Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2018, 4:44 am

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I’m trying to put together a RT itinerary for LAX-TYO in F, but there’s only award space for the outbound flight. VS (snd ANA) doesn’t allow OW bookings so how can I use these miles? If the return flight is in Y, is the total cost in miles half F and half Y? Or do I pay for the whole trip in F and do a voluntary downgrade to Y and hope F opens up?
People have done mixed F/J with blended pricing so I don't see why Y would be any different. You need to make sure you inform the agent. They attempted to charge me more (my departure and return US airports were in different parts of the US) until I mentioned it.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 7:30 am

Many years ago my GF and I started collecting air miles to use on a trip to Japan, we were on the phone to Virgin booking (economy + upgrade) at the time they sent the email round cancelling the route. Frustrating.

Since then we've continued to collect points with no ultimate aim although a year or so ago I looked at using them with ANA but it seemed so difficult we gave up.

We are getting spring next year and according to the Virgin website we've nearly got enough for 2 round trip returns with ANA in business class (London-Tokyo).

We've got these spread over 2 accounts (one each) and we are likely to be a little short on one so would need to top up the miles.

Would VA be able to reserve the tickets before charging me for more miles? Would they be able to book both tickets at once (we wouldn't want one booked without the other for obvious reasons)? Is there an optimum time ahead to try and book? Any ideas of the general availability of rewards on this route? Am I just asking for disappointment?
Old Mar 30, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA GS, TK Gold
I'm flying tomorrow iah-nrt-iah in F thanks to 30% bonus amex transfer offer in 2017. seems like I will be able to catch the downswing of cherry blossom season. I will stay 2 nights at PHT and 1 night in sapporo - VERY EXCITED TO MAKE THIS TRIP!!! this may be trip report worthy

Last edited by tonykline1947; Apr 4, 2018 at 6:03 pm
Old Mar 30, 2018, 5:34 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Cherry blossoms (some variety) is in full bloom and starting to loose pedals. But there should be enough left
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:41 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Excited to book for Sakura 2019, we flew ANA F back in March 2016 with points accrued on EY and redeemed under EYs so called “intern chart” ( 60k miles RT in NH F!). This isnt quite as good, but still a stellar deal, helped along when my wife’s business got an AMEX 100k promo offer.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 1:30 pm

Will ANA check my baggage through if I connect with JAL to BKK at NRT overnight (less than 24 hours)?
Old May 7, 2018, 8:37 pm

Tried to book today for next spring, but the availability only goes out to April 3rd and we wanted to stay until at least the 9th or 10th. My concern was that the dates when we wanted to leave were mostly unavailable. If I were to book today with a return on April 3rd, would there be any issues changing the return next week when the next set of dates open up? I would want to keep our departure date, and have no problems paying the change fee if it means ensuring we get the dates we want. Just don't want to wait a week and then find out that there is no more availability when we want to leave.
Old May 8, 2018, 8:59 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by awestover89
Tried to book today for next spring, but the availability only goes out to April 3rd and we wanted to stay until at least the 9th or 10th. My concern was that the dates when we wanted to leave were mostly unavailable. If I were to book today with a return on April 3rd, would there be any issues changing the return next week when the next set of dates open up? I would want to keep our departure date, and have no problems paying the change fee if it means ensuring we get the dates we want. Just don't want to wait a week and then find out that there is no more availability when we want to leave.
Shouldn't be. I just did a similar booking. The return date I wanted was within the date range but not available so I booked the day earlier. A couple days later the date I wanted opened up. I called VX, they saw the seats, changed to the date I wanted and charged me $50 per ticket. It was simple.

FWIW also, I've found in this process that VX sees the same inventory as UA. So I searched for UA inventory on Award Nexus and it matched up perfectly with what a competent VX agent saw. I say that because I did encounter one agent who didn't see any seats that I did. When I told her that I was verifying availability on a partner site and that it always seemed to correlate she gave it another go and then saw the inventory, but I had to politely challenge her.
Old May 14, 2018, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Shouldn't be. I just did a similar booking. The return date I wanted was within the date range but not available so I booked the day earlier. A couple days later the date I wanted opened up. I called VX, they saw the seats, changed to the date I wanted and charged me $50 per ticket. It was simple.

FWIW also, I've found in this process that VX sees the same inventory as UA. So I searched for UA inventory on Award Nexus and it matched up perfectly with what a competent VX agent saw. I say that because I did encounter one agent who didn't see any seats that I did. When I told her that I was verifying availability on a partner site and that it always seemed to correlate she gave it another go and then saw the inventory, but I had to politely challenge her.
April 10th opened up today, so we called in and got our return flights pushed back a week. Couldn't have gone smoother. The agent did say that there was a chance they wouldn't be able to clear it since they just got access to my requested date this morning, but everything went off without a hitch. 220,000 Ultimate Rewards points, $513.42 in taxes, and $100 in change fees and we have two first class tickets for our dream vacation on the exact dates we wanted.
blitzen and Lewis42 like this.
Old May 14, 2018, 5:02 pm

Just FYI, you can be quite creative with the route so long as you make a "return" booking.

I was able to do SFO-NRT, NRT-BKK, then NRT-SFO to return. I was charged 110k for (SFO<->NRT in first) and 32.5k for NRT-BKK one way in biz. The reps are very knowledgeable and friendly too.
Old May 21, 2018, 12:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Any recent/updated DP's to this?
Old May 21, 2018, 2:35 am

If I price out SFO-NRT-CTS (Sapporo) on NH F, would the miles price be the same as for SFO-NRT?

Thanks!
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:38 am

Just booked IAH-NRT-IAH for Feb 2019. Transferred Citi points, which I think took about an hour or less to go through, and then called Virgin Flying Club late tonight. Pretty painless process. The CSR was very nice, and the whole thing went pretty quick. The flight posted to my account immediately, and I already chose seats thru my ANA account.

Thanks for all the info in this thread! This is my first complex mileage redemption and my first trip to Japan. I can’t believe I’ll be going there in such first class style.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Talking

Originally Posted by lil_champignon
Just booked IAH-NRT-IAH for Feb 2019. Transferred Citi points, which I think took about an hour or less to go through, and then called Virgin Flying Club late tonight. Pretty painless process. The CSR was very nice, and the whole thing went pretty quick. The flight posted to my account immediately, and I already chose seats thru my ANA account.

Thanks for all the info in this thread! This is my first complex mileage redemption and my first trip to Japan. I can’t believe I’ll be going there in such first class style.
Congratulations! Enjoy F! What was the final TYP price?
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by milesforhire
Congratulations! Enjoy F! What was the final TYP price?
120k miles plus about $200 in fees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.