Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2021, 6:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Has anyone noticed a very recent increase in taxes for NH redemptions? Two weeks ago, I booked NH110 (HND-JFK) for January 2022 and taxes were around $72. I called VS today to rebook to the exact same flight a week later in January, and was told the taxes had now doubled and an additional $74 was collected.

As an aside, January 14th NH110 HND-JFK F award inventory (O1) was released back if anyone wants it.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jun 10, 2021, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Has anyone noticed a very recent increase in taxes for NH redemptions? Two weeks ago, I booked NH110 (HND-JFK) for January 2022 and taxes were around $72. I called VS today to rebook to the exact same flight a week later in January, and was told the taxes had now doubled and an additional $74 was collected.

As an aside, January 14th NH110 HND-JFK F award inventory (O1) was released back if anyone wants it.

-FlyerBeek
yes, there has been an increase. I know some of it will be due to increased fuel costs, which they pass on.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by Tofino87
yes, there has been an increase. I know some of it will be due to increased fuel costs, which they pass on.
Good to know. I don't think it's been reported here yet. In any case, I still view ~$140 to be a bargain as far as fuel surcharges are concerned for NH F.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jun 10, 2021, 5:59 pm

I think fuel surcharges have increased into the $75-80 range, up from the few bucks that were charged before. I was in a similar boat, changed a RT to a one way JFK-HND, originally due a refund of ~$48, but once I shifted dates again and reversed route to HND-JFK, ended up paying ~$100 more due to increased YQ and Taxes.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 7:38 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
So trying to keep track of what fees I will pay. I had US->TYO roundtrip first class tickets booked for April 2020, then moved to October 2020, and likely will have to move it again. Other than taxes and fees going up (that stinks, but still cheaper than it was pre COVID) will I have to pay a rebooking fee to move them again, assuming I can find availability? Can I change my origin city (ie still stay in same zone, Eastern US) or does that trigger different fees?
Old Jun 10, 2021, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by pitflyer
So trying to keep track of what fees I will pay. I had US->TYO roundtrip first class tickets booked for April 2020, then moved to October 2020, and likely will have to move it again. Other than taxes and fees going up (that stinks, but still cheaper than it was pre COVID) will I have to pay a rebooking fee to move them again, assuming I can find availability? Can I change my origin city (ie still stay in same zone, Eastern US) or does that trigger different fees?
I think it's somewhat up to agent discretion, but I've had to rebook or redeposit 4 NH awards, and I've not yet been charged a rebooking fee. A few times the VS agent mentioned they were waiving the fee, and a few times it never even came up.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jun 14, 2021, 8:47 am

A note of caution: ensure VS actually reissues any NH awards you change!

About a month ago I changed an F award from LAX-HND to NRT-ORD. The additional 5k miles were deducted and I received a confirmation email from VS showing the new NH flight. I verified the reservation appeared correct on both the NH and VS websites - and there was a ticket number displayed. Fast forward to arriving at NRT check-in last week and finding out the ticket hadn't actually been reissued by VS and was still showing LAX-HND. Unfortunately, at 2pm Japan time there was no way to get a VS agent on the phone due to reduced call center hours. My heart sunk. I tried the suggested chat option via WhatsApp, and got a VS agent who said absolutely nothing could be done (there was no longer NH F award space available 2hrs prior to departure) and I would have to rebook for a later date. NH check-in staff was sympathetic but there was nothing they could do - they quoted over $15K USD if I wanted to purchase the ticket. Finally I reached the call center right when it opened at 3pm Japan time (6am UK time). The agent acknowledged the ticket had never been reissued property. Ultimately it took another 55 minutes on the phone (just 5 minutes short of check-in closure) to finally get the ticket reissued. He waived the recent ~$70 increase in tax. In total, it took over 2hrs to successfully get checked-in. Certainly not a stress free experience.

I'm an experienced traveler and was caught off-guard by this- especially since both the VS and NH websites seemed to indicate there was nothing wrong with the ticket. When dealing with partner awards, regardless of carrier, I always check both airlines' websites after making any changes, but that wasn't sufficient in this case. In the future, I would recommend calling NH to ensure the ticket is properly reissued on their side after making any changes with VS.

Just wanted to share so others don't have the same issue. If the flight was scheduled to depart 5 minutes earlier I would not have had a successful outcome.

-FlyerBeek
aquanine and alexsmichaels like this.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 8:55 am

Yikes! That sounds awful. I've been babysitting my tickets on the Saudia website. Did your updated itinerary show on Saudia as well?

My experience has been that modified reservations will automatically show as updated on the Virgin and NH websites, but Saudia will show the old itinerary until it has been reticketed. Virgins ticketing process does seem to be slower and more convoluted than other airlines. Especially when there is a refund of taxes due.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 9:37 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Just booked JFK NRT / HND LHR in January for 120k + $159 ! Hopefully the rona shenanigans are over by then !
Old Jun 14, 2021, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by standbyalldtime
Yikes! That sounds awful. I've been babysitting my tickets on the Saudia website. Did your updated itinerary show on Saudia as well?

My experience has been that modified reservations will automatically show as updated on the Virgin and NH websites, but Saudia will show the old itinerary until it has been reticketed. Virgins ticketing process does seem to be slower and more convoluted than other airlines. Especially when there is a refund of taxes due.
Saudia? How does that work? Saudia being Skyteam and ANA star alliance?
Old Jun 14, 2021, 1:24 pm

A note of caution: ensure VS actually reissues any NH awards you change!

About a month ago I changed an F award from LAX-HND to NRT-ORD. The additional 5k miles were deducted and I received a confirmation email from VS showing the new NH flight. I verified the reservation appeared correct on both the NH and VS websites - and there was a ticket number displayed. Fast forward to arriving at NRT check-in last week and finding out the ticket hadn't actually been reissued by VS and was still showing LAX-HND. Unfortunately, at 2pm Japan time there was no way to get a VS agent on the phone due to reduced call center hours. My heart sunk. I tried the suggested chat option via WhatsApp, and got a VS agent who said absolutely nothing could be done (there was no longer NH F award space available 2hrs prior to departure) and I would have to rebook for a later date. NH check-in staff was sympathetic but there was nothing they could do - they quoted over $15K USD if I wanted to purchase the ticket. Finally I reached the call center right when it opened at 3pm Japan time (6am UK time). The agent acknowledged the ticket had never been reissued property. Ultimately it took another 55 minutes on the phone (just 5 minutes short of check-in closure) to finally get the ticket reissued. He waived the recent ~$70 increase in tax. In total, it took over 2hrs to successfully get checked-in. Certainly not a stress free experience.

I'm an experienced traveler and was caught off-guard by this- especially since both the VS and NH websites seemed to indicate there was nothing wrong with the ticket. When dealing with partner awards, regardless of carrier, I always check both airlines' websites after making any changes, but that wasn't sufficient in this case. In the future, I would recommend calling NH to ensure the ticket is properly reissued on their side after making any changes with VS.

Just wanted to share so others don't have the same issue. If the flight was scheduled to depart 5 minutes earlier I would not have had a successful outcome.

-FlyerBeek
Did you not select your seat? I always get the reference number and pick my seat when booking on a partner. I guess there are no bad seats in F though.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by standbyalldtime
I did not check my reservation on Saudia's website. Just on the VS and NH websites. In the future I will also try to check on Saudia.

Originally Posted by Andrew Davidson
Did you not select your seat? I always get the reference number and pick my seat when booking on a partner. I guess there are no bad seats in F though.
Absolutely I had a seat assignment that I picked on the NH website immediately after I confirmed the itinerary change. I also verified the seat assignment using EF. There's nothing that precludes having a NH seat assignment even if you don't have a valid reissued ticket for the new segment on NH.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jun 16, 2021, 11:52 am

I did not check my reservation on Saudia's website. Just on the VS and NH websites. In the future I will also try to check on Saudia.

Absolutely I had a seat assignment that I picked on the NH website immediately after I confirmed the itinerary change. I also verified the seat assignment using EF. There's nothing that precludes having a NH seat assignment even if you don't have a valid reissued ticket for the new segment on NH.

-FlyerBeek
How would we know if VS rebooked our flights correctly then? I was under the assumption that if the reservation showed up on ANA's site and I was able to assign seats then I was good. How was it possible you were able to assign yourself a seat on the new route if the new ticket was never actually ticketed?
Old Jun 17, 2021, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by formiles
How would we know if VS rebooked our flights correctly then? I was under the assumption that if the reservation showed up on ANA's site and I was able to assign seats then I was good. How was it possible you were able to assign yourself a seat on the new route if the new ticket was never actually ticketed?
Having a confirmed reservation (and seat assignment) and a valid/reissued ticket are two completely separate things. I held a seat reservation for a month on my new NH flight without ever having a valid ticket. I'm not aware of anyplace on the NH website to see the actual ticketing information. In fact, the NH website will show a status of "OK" but this only means you are holding a confirmed reservation and doesn't indicate any validation of the ticketing status. The VS website will show you a ticket number - but, as I discovered, if they don't reissue the ticket it will just continue to show the old ticket number giving you a false sense of security. In the future, I am going to just call ANA to confirm they're showing the correct ticketing details after I make any changes to the reservation.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jun 17, 2021, 12:29 pm

May I just clarify a couple of points please?:

1) How do you check your ticket on Saudia?

2) (a) Are we solely talking about (potential) issues with re-issued tickets only - due to a date or route change, and not just all issued tickets?

2) (b) for these re-issued tickets, if calling ANA to check that it has been re-issued correctly at their end, the recommendation is to phone and quote their reference number (provided by VS when making the booking), and just check that the corresponding routings and dates/times are correct/match up at their end? Or is there some further question to be asking?

Gracias

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.