Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2020, 1:54 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by djsinc
Does anyone know if there are any plans to be able to book PE awards on ANA using Flying Club?
Probably none, as there are no Premium Economy redemptions even within the Star Alliance itself.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 3:10 pm

If anybody hasn't heard yet, unfortunately Virgin Atlantic filed for bankruptcy. Anybody that has insight as to how this affects already booked award tickets, please don't hesitate to share.

https://www.businessinsider.com/virg...andemic-2020-8
Old Aug 4, 2020, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by standbyalldtime
If anybody hasn't heard yet, unfortunately Virgin Atlantic filed for bankruptcy. Anybody that has insight as to how this affects already booked award tickets, please don't hesitate to share.

https://www.businessinsider.com/virg...andemic-2020-8
As I understand it they've filed for protection while they wait for creditors to approve the rescue plan. That's not quite the same thing.
I'm not familiar with bankruptcy processes in the UK or the US so feel free to correct me if I have misunderstood the situation.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 3:42 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, Hyatt
I was able to find 2 J seats on ANA SEA-HND next June, booked through VA, But no F seats either way. And it seems, max 2 J seats released.

Should I set up a search on Awardnexus, or bite the bullet and fly JA separate from fam on AS miles? (Or both?)
Old Aug 4, 2020, 6:11 pm

Programs: JMB, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by tripmaster
I was able to find 2 J seats on ANA SEA-HND next June, booked through VA, But no F seats either way. And it seems, max 2 J seats released.

Should I set up a search on Awardnexus, or bite the bullet and fly JA separate from fam on AS miles? (Or both?)
ANA does not have first class on that route. If by JA you mean JAL/JL, they also don't have first class to SEA.
tripmaster likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 9:36 am

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by SugoiHikouki
ANA does not have first class on that route. If by JA you mean JAL/JL, they also don't have first class to SEA.
Ahh, OK. Makes sense. Do they ever release >2 J seats for award?
Old Aug 11, 2020, 4:27 pm

Short answer: Wait and see.

VS has a tentative rescue package from creditors. That's making its way through the British courts. Nothing that I read suggested an impact on awards, assuming the package is approved. See below.

At least I sure hope not: I had to cancel an NH F JFK-NRT award trip this past May due to COVID. The miles are back in my VS account, but I haven't received a refund for the taxes. Not that I'm complaining--considering all the awfulness of COVID, losing some miles and taxes is completely insignificant.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ember-collapse
Virgin Atlantic Seeks Rescue Approval as Cash Running Out
By Ellen Milligan and Christopher Jasper
August 4, 2020

Richard Branson’s Virgin Atlantic Airways Ltd. told a London court that it will run out of cash next month unless it secures approval for a 1.2 billion-pound ($1.6 billion) rescue package announced in July.

Without the funds, available cash will drop to about 49 million pounds by late September, below the 75 million pounds specified in bondholder contracts, Virgin told a judge Tuesday. That would require the sale of Heathrow airport slots against which the bonds are secured, forcing the carrier to fold.

Virgin Atlantic said it obtained an order from the court to convene four creditor meetings on Aug. 25 to vote on the restructuring as part of a process that will bind all debt classes to the rescue plan. The carrier said that creditors in three of the groups have agreed in advance to back it.

“With support already secured from the majority of stakeholders, it’s expected that the restructuring plan and recapitalization will come into effect in September,” a spokeswoman said. “We remain confident in the plan.”

The restructuring must be approved at a hearing scheduled for Sept. 2, after the creditor meetings, or will be placed into administration mid-month with any assets sold, David Allison, a lawyer for the company, told the court.

Virgin Atlantic unveiled the rescue plan on July 14 after the coronavirus crisis shut down flights and the carrier was told that its credit ratings disqualified it from support through a state-backed loans program.

Under the proposals, U.S. hedge fund Davidson Kempner Capital Management will provide about 170 million pounds in secured financing, while Branson himself will contribute 200 million pounds after raising money from space venture Virgin Galactic Holdings Inc.

The plan also includes 450 million pounds of creditor deferrals and 400 million pounds of payment delays or waivers from Branson’s Virgin Group and co-owner Delta Air Lines Inc.

Virgin proposals for the creditor groups:
- A fully drawn $280 million revolving credit facility secured against aircraft and engines will become a term loan with a longer maturity and a margin that’s 1% higher. One engine will be freed up to be used as security for a new $30 million facility.
- Plane-leasing firms that own 24 Virgin jets will be offered three options: a 15% cut in fees until September next year at least, an 80% reduction for the full term, or the termination of leases and the return of aircraft in their current condition.
- So-called connected creditors including 49% shareholder Delta will get preference shares in return for capitalization of money owed.
- Trade creditors will take a 20% haircut, with 10% of the remaining balance paid in cash and the rest in quarterly sums through September 2022. Suppliers of goods and services critical to Virgin, such as airports, will be exempt from the proposals.
tripmaster likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 4:34 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
A spokesperson added: “The US court has supported the company’s restructuring plan by extending its order of August 4th.

“The US proceeding is a standard procedural step to protect the airline’s assets while Virgin Atlantic’s recapitalisation is completed in the UK.

“The US court has scheduled a hearing for September 3rd to immediately follow the final hearing before the English court.

“With support already secured from the majority of our creditors and stakeholders, it’s expected that the Restructuring Plan and solvent recapitalisation will come into effect in September.

“We remain confident in the plan.”

https://www.breakingtravelnews.com/n...ing-milestone/
tripmaster likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 8:37 pm

Should I cancel October ANA VS awards SFO-HND now or wait for ANA to cancel?

Originally Posted by geclub1
Just need to cancel T-24hr.
In February I bravely transferred chase UR points to Virgin Atlantic to book ANA first and biz class awards SFO-HND in October/November 2020. My trip was just cancelled by tour operator. Should I cancel now and pay $50/pp to redeposit points to Virgin Atlantic or wait to see if ANA cancels flights? Right now, my flights are cancelled thru 9/30 on ANA since Americans are banned from entering Japan. Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Old Aug 14, 2020, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by kajaz
In February I bravely transferred chase UR points to Virgin Atlantic to book ANA first and biz class awards SFO-HND in October/November 2020. My trip was just cancelled by tour operator. Should I cancel now and pay $50/pp to redeposit points to Virgin Atlantic or wait to see if ANA cancels flights? Right now, my flights are cancelled thru 9/30 on ANA since Americans are banned from entering Japan. Any recommendations?

Thanks!
There is no reason to cancel and pay the fee now if you are looking to cancel and get a refund outright. As you acknowledged there is a good chance ANA will cancel the flights outright, entitling you to a free refund. As others have mentioned, just make sure you do so at least a day in advance.

The big caveat is if you'd like to rebook to dates next year where the award space is already available and you want to snag it before it's gone. For my tickets, it was worth rebooking and paying the fee to snag two tickets in THE SUITEs to JFK for next year since that availability is unlikely to persist for long.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 5:26 am

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Diamond; CCarlson Elite
Hey all: I'm trying to book ANA 1st class flights IAD-NRT using Virgin miles via text message (iMessage, actually). Sent first request 3 days ago (25Aug) and got acknowledgement from Virgin, but silence since then.

Anyone else having success setting things up with Virgin?
Old Aug 28, 2020, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by kcblakely
Hey all: I'm trying to book ANA 1st class flights IAD-NRT using Virgin miles via text message (iMessage, actually). Sent first request 3 days ago (25Aug) and got acknowledgement from Virgin, but silence since then.

Anyone else having success setting things up with Virgin?
Within the last few weeks, I did get a similar flight booked via text message for June 2021, and I also got it changed to a later date via text message. Interestingly, they didn't charge me the fee to make the change.

It took multiple days for someone to finally text me back and complete it. I just kept texting every once in awhile to check in and finally got someone that actively would chat with me.

Last edited by w00ter11; Aug 28, 2020 at 10:54 am Reason: adding quote
Old Aug 30, 2020, 8:43 am

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Diamond; CCarlson Elite
Hey all: I'm trying to book ANA 1st class flights IAD-NRT using Virgin miles via text message (iMessage, actually). Sent first request 3 days ago (25Aug) and got acknowledgement from Virgin, but silence since then....
30 AUG now and still not so much as a peep from Virgin.....
Old Aug 30, 2020, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Same thing happened to me and I just called them up. The longer you wait, the more time it gives others to take away that space. I would suggest you call them up!
Old Aug 30, 2020, 9:57 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
the worst part, they take like a week to text back but when they text you you have like an hour to respond or they end the chat and you have to start all over 😂

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.