Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: NH, JL, SQ
someone reported his experience with booking NH F through VS in the NH forum:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28176239-post26.html
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:18 am

Does anyone know if it possible to book ANA either with an open jaw or as a one way ticket? I've seen conflicting information online.

Thanks!
Old Apr 19, 2017, 8:02 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Round-trip only.

Neil
Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Adh88
Does anyone know if it possible to book ANA either with an open jaw or as a one way ticket? I've seen conflicting information online.

Thanks!
They used to allow one-way for half the price of round trip, but recently switched it to round trip only. As for open jaw, they allow it, but you pay the higher mileage cost if you start/end in two different zones. Same goes if you want to fly on different classes.

I told them I want to do San Fran to Tokyo, and then Tokyo to NY. They said thats fine, but the mileage cost would be the cost of an "eastern US to Japan" round trip (even though the first leg is from western US, which usually has lower mileage cost). And they said, if I do biz class there, and first class back, I get charged the first class round trip amount of miles. So it would never make sense to make one leg a lower class since it saves you nothing.

Spoke to two separate Flying Club reps, just to confirm, and both gave me precisely the same info above.

Last edited by brody24; Apr 19, 2017 at 9:34 am
Old Apr 21, 2017, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Gold, *Gold, Skyteam E+
Originally Posted by brody24
They used to allow one-way for half the price of round trip, but recently switched it to round trip only. As for open jaw, they allow it, but you pay the higher mileage cost if you start/end in two different zones. Same goes if you want to fly on different classes.

I told them I want to do San Fran to Tokyo, and then Tokyo to NY. They said thats fine, but the mileage cost would be the cost of an "eastern US to Japan" round trip (even though the first leg is from western US, which usually has lower mileage cost). And they said, if I do biz class there, and first class back, I get charged the first class round trip amount of miles. So it would never make sense to make one leg a lower class since it saves you nothing.

Spoke to two separate Flying Club reps, just to confirm, and both gave me precisely the same info above.
Assuming the OP's question was related to ANA awards, a) one-way's were never permitted. Or at least it has been that way for a couple years now. b) open jaws are permitted and there is no higher mileage cost concept. ANA redemptions are based on distance. For example: VS charges 120k miles for ANA F redemptions between 11,001-14,000 miles. It doesn't matter if you travel, NRT-JFK-NRT or NRT-JFK; LAX-NRT, you will charged based on total distance. In this case, you were quotes 120k miles because, NRT-LAX-NRT is just under 11,001 miles (10,902 to be precise). Whereas, NRT-JFK-NRT and NRT-JFK; LAX-NRT are over 11,001 but under 14,000 miles
Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Alaska MVP Gold 75k, Marriott Platinum
Just booked IAD->NRT R/T in F for 120k miles and $170. Agent initially places the flight on hold for 72 hours while I transferred in MR points. Overall, a seamless experience with very competent agents.

With the MR transfer bonus, this is a no-brainer. R/T in F to Asia on a phenomenal airline for only 92k miles.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 1:05 pm

Just booked SFO --> NRT, and NRT --> ORD on ANA in business class using Virgin Atlantic Flying Club miles. Booked 2 seats. Came out to 185,000 miles + $339.50 in taxes/fees. Hard to argue with that.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Trying to do NYC-NRT/HND round trip on ANA using Virgin atlantic points. Not seeing much in the way of openings for mid to late june. If I see a seat going one way in F would it make sense to book another seat back much much later if I could find one and then hope something would open up close in on the return in F or J and just change the return flight in early July? Is that too big of a risk? Seems like close in a lot of J opens up. This mandatory round trip in order to do a booking is screwing me up and not sure the best move.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by Red259
Trying to do NYC-NRT/HND round trip on ANA using Virgin atlantic points. Not seeing much in the way of openings for mid to late june. If I see a seat going one way in F would it make sense to book another seat back much much later if I could find one and then hope something would open up close in on the return in F or J and just change the return flight in early July? Is that too big of a risk? Seems like close in a lot of J opens up. This mandatory round trip in order to do a booking is screwing me up and not sure the best move.
Too risky in my book. ANA is not known to release unsold inventory to award near departure.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:36 pm

Thats a huge risk and certainly not one I would take. Better idea is to (i) see if business class is available, as opposed to first, or (ii) see if different airports make the trip possible. I just booked a trip for March 2018, and even then, there was no Tokyo --> NYC award availability for the date I wanted. But they did have Tokyo to Chicago, so I just booked that, and can get myself home from there with an extra short flight. Shame it can't be direct to NY for me, but its a small price to pay.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:38 pm

VS partner award on ANA - Lap Child Pricing?

Hi, forgive me I've been searching all over and haven't found an answer -- When booking a VS partner award (lets say on ANA) is the cost for a lap infant according to VS policy (miles + taxes), or does the price defer to policy of the partner airline?

Thanks very much if someone here knows the answer!
Old Apr 29, 2017, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
http://mommypoints.boardingarea.com/...h-lap-infants/

This might be helpful, although it doesn't 100% answer your question.

I believe that lap infant tickets need to be issued at the same time as the adult tickets, which means you'd be dependent on VS being willing/able to do one for a partner. Given how difficult booking partner rewards through VS can be, I suspect that you will run into problems.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 12:26 pm

Thanks Craig! That's a helpful resource. I think that makes sense to see if VS will be able to get it done at booking. Otherwise it would be clear that we'd be responsible for the partner airlines policy afterwards.
Old May 3, 2017, 5:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
I'm thinking of booking first from NYC-NRT on ANA via virgin atlantic points. My ultimate destination is Se asia something like BKK, SIN etc. Do I need to book this has two separate awards? Anyone know what the point difference would be for going from NRT to something like BKK?
Old May 3, 2017, 5:36 pm

Programs: United 1k, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
I'm thinking of booking first from NYC-NRT on ANA via virgin atlantic points. My ultimate destination is Se asia something like BKK, SIN etc. Do I need to book this has two separate awards? Anyone know what the point difference would be for going from NRT to something like BKK?
Read the thread back a couple of pages, this has already been discussed for that specific destination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.