Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Old Apr 26, 2020, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787
I canceled on March 5th (may have technically been March 6th in the UK, don't remember what time of day I called). The miles went back instantly. The cash has not showed up (that makes 52 days and counting).
If it were me I'd be filing a chargeback at this point. Not because I don't mind waiting a bit longer but because I need to protect my rights. You don't want to run down the clock and then be left with no recourse.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 7:08 pm

What is the exact time ANA awards open up on VS? Midnight BST 331 days out?
Old Apr 27, 2020, 11:11 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
On Weds Apr 22nd, I was able book NH F JFK/HND round-trip for March 2021 in the hopes of being able to run the Tokyo Marathon.
Same deal -
120k VS miles + $230usd in taxes
Lots of IF's here:
- will NH still be running JFK/TYO routes then
- will VS go belly up and thereby rendering my 120k Flying Club round-trip redemption null and void
- will Japan be accepting tourists without quarantining them
- will the Tokyo marathon happen
Old Apr 27, 2020, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by vivrant
On Weds Apr 22nd, I was able book NH F JFK/HND round-trip for March 2021 in the hopes of being able to run the Tokyo Marathon.
Same deal -
120k VS miles + $230usd in taxes
Lots of IF's here:
- will NH still be running JFK/TYO routes then
- will VS go belly up and thereby rendering my 120k Flying Club round-trip redemption null and void
- will Japan be accepting tourists without quarantining them
- will the Tokyo marathon happen
At this point I consider all bookings I make in 2020 and 2021 to be "speculative".
Old Apr 27, 2020, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 36902BRF
If it were me I'd be filing a chargeback at this point. Not because I don't mind waiting a bit longer but because I need to protect my rights. You don't want to run down the clock and then be left with no recourse.
I did a couple of weeks ago. AMEX US (bought on my AMEX Plat) filed the paperwork but since it is a 10 month old charge they've told me that they aren't able to actually refund me if Virgin doesn't respond because they no longer hold those specific funds in escrow so can't simply refuse payment and reverse the charge.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 8:23 am

I did a couple of weeks ago. AMEX US (bought on my AMEX Plat) filed the paperwork but since it is a 10 month old charge they've told me that they aren't able to actually refund me if Virgin doesn't respond because they no longer hold those specific funds in escrow so can't simply refuse payment and reverse the charge.
Very odd, I was able to open two chargebacks for charges made about nine months before on my Amex Plat for airline tickets back in late March. Opened them via chat since they were beyond the time frame I could open them up via the website. There was zero pushback. Assuming you haven't tried again I would try again and if that fails, I'd follow up with a complaint with the CFPB and/or the Amex Executive Office.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 36902BRF
Very odd, I was able to open two chargebacks for charges made about nine months before on my Amex Plat for airline tickets back in late March. Opened them via chat since they were beyond the time frame I could open them up via the website. There was zero pushback. Assuming you haven't tried again I would try again and if that fails, I'd follow up with a complaint with the CFPB and/or the Amex Executive Office.
Interesting. I’ll give them another call in a few days. I also filed a DOT complaint which was “accepted” by the DOT and sent on to VS. Hopefully that will help move things along.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 4:07 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Just booked SFO-NRT F, HND-SFO Y for March. Will change the return when the calendar opens. I figure the possibilities are:
1. No change to Flying Club
2. Devaluation of ANA chart
3. VS liquidates, miles gone

Already have the miles in my account so all I’m risking is losing $230 in taxes if case 3 happens, and better to book now if case 2 happens.
Old May 1, 2020, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Finally got my refund today. They did not appear to charge the change fee (it wasn't deducted from the refund and no charge was put on my card). I appreciate that though would have been fine to pay it.

Interestingly they sent me a refund sheet which appears to show the full cost of an NH F award ticket to Virgin of ~$1250. And no, even though the bottom says they are issuing me a refund for $1522 they did not, it was only the taxes and fees (x2) that were refunded as expected:

Old May 1, 2020, 4:51 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Finally got my refund today. They did not appear to charge the change fee (it wasn't deducted from the refund and no charge was put on my card). I appreciate that though would have been fine to pay it.

Interestingly they sent me a refund sheet which appears to show the full cost of an NH F award ticket to Virgin of ~$1250. And no, even though the bottom says they are issuing me a refund for $1522 they did not, it was only the taxes and fees (x2) that were refunded as expected:
That's an interesting bit of data. I've heard of this sort of thing happening with hotels accidentally providing the folio showing their payment from corporate for award stays, but never airlines. Thanks for sharing.
Old May 1, 2020, 5:41 pm

Interesting data, what routing was this for?
Old May 1, 2020, 7:47 pm

+ Interesting data and fits what certain experts have stated that partner awards are generally pretty cheap relative to the retail rate for airlines.
Old May 1, 2020, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This was for ORD - NRT // HND - ORD (F both directions) and this was the per-ticket "refund" so there was a duplicate one of these against my wife's ticket number.

I've never seen one of these for other redemptions so don't know how this compares to an F award via UA or AA or AS and I wonder if UA or other *A members pay that same rate for an NH redemption.
oxfordjames likes this.
Old May 2, 2020, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
It's just as likely to be the internal accounting cost of a VS mile as it is the amount paid to ANA. That number looks rather high to be honest - VS would charge more miles with that much cash changing hands.
Old May 2, 2020, 10:04 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Just booked SFO-NRT F, HND-SFO Y for March. Will change the return when the calendar opens. I figure the possibilities are:
1. No change to Flying Club
2. Devaluation of ANA chart
3. VS liquidates, miles gone

Already have the miles in my account so all I’m risking is losing $230 in taxes if case 3 happens, and better to book now if case 2 happens.
As far as #2 is concerned, a VS rep just told me that if the award costs change, any mileage difference wouldn’t apply to changing an existing booking for the same award type. Anyone know if he just made that up or if there’s precedent here?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.