Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2020, 5:26 pm

I'm trying to go to Fukuoka for 2021 for World Champs and flying out of SFO. I'm also hoping to spend some time in Tokyo and Yokohama (Pikachu outbreak is around then) a few days after Worlds.
Currently I have around 175k miles in my Chase account. Would my total miles be around 125k for SFO-NRT-FUK (round trip, F) on VS?
Tentative Itinerary:
August 2: SFO-FUK via NRT.
August 13 FUK-NRT
August 18 NRT-SFO
-
BTW: Should I be checking United MileagePlus instead of ANA for award space? I know I'm early, but I'm slowly stalking space.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 6:54 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jennmo
I'm trying to go to Fukuoka for 2021 for World Champs and flying out of SFO. I'm also hoping to spend some time in Tokyo and Yokohama (Pikachu outbreak is around then) a few days after Worlds.
Currently I have around 175k miles in my Chase account. Would my total miles be around 125k for SFO-NRT-FUK (round trip, F) on VS?
Tentative Itinerary:
August 2: SFO-FUK via NRT.
August 13 FUK-NRT
August 18 NRT-SFO
-
BTW: Should I be checking United MileagePlus instead of ANA for award space? I know I'm early, but I'm slowly stalking space.
You're going to be charged for each segment so if you can find the economy space on the domestic segments your price will be 55k + 15k + 15k + 55k = 140k points.

Given that you also pay taxes and surcharges, I would just book SFO-TYO with VS and book experience Japan fares for TYO-FUK, or the JAL equivalent.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:49 pm

Booked NH ORD-NRT roundtrip using VS miles. On VS app, I'm seeing ORD-NRT with seats I selected on ANA site and I see another flight from ORD-HND(without a seat assignment) for the same dates but different times. Should I do something?
Old Jan 18, 2020, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I just booked LAX-HND-IAH with the outbound in F and return in J. 102.5k miles and $267.05 in taxes/fees.

I booked via SMS, which was more convenient than calling because I could make dinner while I booked my flights but it took about 2.5 hours. There wasn't much back-and-forth—maybe 15 messages total—just took the agent 10-20 minutes to respond each time.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 10:13 am

Programs: ANA Pt
Originally Posted by txflyer77
I booked via SMS, which was more convenient than calling because I could make dinner while I booked my flights but it took about 2.5 hours. There wasn't much back-and-forth—maybe 15 messages total—just took the agent 10-20 minutes to respond each time.
I do SMS award booking and changes all the time now; took about 25 min total yesterday. Easier to ensure the information supplied is accurately conveyed, and more convenient than voice calls
Old Jan 19, 2020, 10:17 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by synergypi
I do SMS award booking and changes all the time now; took about 25 min total yesterday. Easier to ensure the information supplied is accurately conveyed, and more convenient than voice calls
My first message fed them exact dates and flight numbers. Responses on their end just took forever.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 4:23 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
SMS responses have always been very fast for me.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 5:56 pm

Originally booked ORD-NRT. Kept checking JFK availability because it's closer. Couldn't believe my eyes when there was award space both ways albeit a few days different from my original trip. Called VS line and the CSR found space for the new origination. Asked him to cancel the original itinerary and book the new one. Cost was $50. After hanging up, I neither got an e-mail nor saw the booking on the website. Called back to confirm and they say they'll send e-mail again. Nothing. Called yet again, and this time the CSR noticed the payment info wasn't right. Gave payment info and voila! E-mail and itinerary both showed up. Took a bit but I ultimately got the flight I wanted in short notice.
nexusCFX and arguetaflyer like this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 4:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Thinking about trying to book something like JFK-Tokyo and then back to London in F & J. Is it better to do this type of booking with Flying club points or ANA or does it not make a difference assuming you aren't getting the bonus transfer to Flying Club?
Old Jan 22, 2020, 1:19 am

Programs: JMB, Bonvoy, Hyatt
It's unlikely VS will ticket such a ticket from here on out. It's treated as a one-way w/ 2 segments and hence does not follow VS rules for ANA partner awards.

As for ANA, having an "open jaw" starting and ending in different zones or countries is explicitly not allowed in ANA rules.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 7:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by lokisnake
It's unlikely VS will ticket such a ticket from here on out. It's treated as a one-way w/ 2 segments and hence does not follow VS rules for ANA partner awards.

As for ANA, having an "open jaw" starting and ending in different zones or countries is explicitly not allowed in ANA rules.
yea I noticed after I posted that the zones for VS are different from the zones for ANA. So VS changed their rules about this so even though London and New York are the same zone with VS they don't count it was a roundtrip anymore?
Old Jan 23, 2020, 5:41 am

VS never changed the rule, just that they're much more diligently enforcing it now. They layout the award chart assuming people will interpret it reasonably such that EU/Mexico are not in the same zone (nor US West and Austraila). They allowed open jaws across zones (and sounds like they still do) as long as it's reasonable (US East and West).

The wall you'll run into isn't really VS per se, it's VS no longer willing to book 2 segment awards on ANA that their partner would not consider roundtrips and get into trouble with ANA.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by hawkfan7314
Not sure if this needs to go over to the VA forum or not but we will see.

If I do a R/T JFK-TYO, find JFK-TYO in economy and TYO-JFK in first, I can switch the JFK-TYO portion of the flight to business or first when it becomes available a week or two out?
Can I do this when I do the flight with VA points?
Would I contact ANA or VA to make the change? Thanks.
The award is booked and managed by VS. You'd contact VS for such changes and changes fall under VS's rules not ANA's.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 2:43 pm

Any Advice? Looking to Book Business or First on August 20-24th (2020) from JFK - TYO, and Returning Sept 5-9th. (2020) I have a bunch of Chase and AMEX miles. When I look at the seat map looks like the flight is pretty empty but on United Im not seeing any redemption open yet.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 3:34 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by Jcheng9394
Any Advice? Looking to Book Business or First on August 20-24th (2020) from JFK - TYO, and Returning Sept 5-9th. (2020) I have a bunch of Chase and AMEX miles. When I look at the seat map looks like the flight is pretty empty but on United Im not seeing any redemption open yet.
awards would show (330 days I think) so there are probably none available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.