Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Originally Posted by 747FC
Thanks. That is was I feared. I will have to consider other transfer options for this one-way trip!
The following VS options look good for you.

*SQ for 30k, but only Y class is available.
https://www.virginatlantic.com/gb/en...-airlines.html

*Hawaiian Airlines. for 65k in J, 40K Y.

Good luck
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen

Good luck
Thanks for the ideas.

If I understand correctly about VS, I would need to book separate fares for each leg. Since HA doesn't fly direct to HNL from HKG, I would need to find transport on another partner from HKG to either ICN, PEK, or TYO. That would be a 130K trip in J, my only desired class.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:25 pm

Looks like your best bet is ANA from HKG-NRT 60k (forfeiting the return), then HA for 65k.

Total of 125k. But up to you to decide whether the ANA flight is worth 60k when you could buy a one-way for cca $500 in J.
747FC likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by blitzen
Hi,

I think that it is possible but want to make sure .... can I fly
New York - Tokyo and for the return Osaka (or any other "inland" airport) - Tokyo - New York
(on one ticket / using 120k in First)?
Extra miles for the domestic legs.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 4:06 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Extra miles for the domestic legs.
thanks do you have any idea how many?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by blitzen

thanks do you have any idea how many?
15K in Y for domestic
Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:04 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by travelbugging
15K in Y for domestic
Thanks! That isn’t too bad and will save some time compared to the bullet train
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
If I want to fly ANA in F from NY or Chicago is it better to transfer points to ANA or VS Flying club? for 117 I can do J one way and F the other with ANA points but with VS looks like I could do F in both directions for 120k?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by aquanine
Looks like fuel surcharge will be reduced in a few weeks: https://www.ana.co.jp/en/us/book-pla...fuelsurcharge/. Specifically, after April 1.

For US-Japan bookings, it will go down from from the current $258 roundtrip fuel surcharge to $172 roundtrip fuel surcharge. Other taxes/fees will stay the same. Hope oil prices continue to stay low.
To get the lower fuel surcharge rate do you have to wait until 4/1 to do the booking or do you automatically get the lower surcharge if your flight is scheduled after 4/1?
Old Mar 28, 2019, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by Red259
If I want to fly ANA in F from NY or Chicago is it better to transfer points to ANA or VS Flying club? for 117 I can do J one way and F the other with ANA points but with VS looks like I could do F in both directions for 120k?
Depends on availability and how big your point stash is. 120K to Virgin Atlantic for RT F is an excellent deal and 3K points is not that big of a difference so I would do VS for 120K. Assuming since you have the ability to transfer to ANA that you have amex points so depending on when you are booking, amex sometimes has transfer bonuses to VS.

Originally Posted by Red259
To get the lower fuel surcharge rate do you have to wait until 4/1 to do the booking or do you automatically get the lower surcharge if your flight is scheduled after 4/1?
Needs to booked (ticketed) on or after 4/1. If you book before 4/1 for a flight on/after 4/1, you will still be charged the current taxes/fees.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 7:37 pm

I have a current booking on ANA from IAH-NRT in F. Paid about $700 for 2 ppl. Anyone knows how much it will drop if rebooked after 4/1? Wondering if it's worth it to rebook. I may need to make a change to ticket anyway.

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by dfwflyer1998
I have a current booking on ANA from IAH-NRT in F. Paid about $700 for 2 ppl. Anyone knows how much it will drop if rebooked after 4/1? Wondering if it's worth it to rebook. I may need to make a change to ticket anyway.

Thanks in advance.
Originally Posted by aquanine
Looks like fuel surcharge will be reduced in a few weeks: https://www.ana.co.jp/en/us/book-pla...fuelsurcharge/. Specifically, after April 1.

For US-Japan bookings, it will go down from from the current $258 roundtrip fuel surcharge to $172 roundtrip fuel surcharge. Other taxes/fees will stay the same. Hope oil prices continue to stay low.
Here's your answer
Old Mar 31, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen

Good luck
Thanks again for your advice. I registered with VS FC and called in a did a dummy booking (my dates are not yet in the system). I was able to get an all-J ANA itinerary HKG-HND-HNL for 110k roundtrip plus $245. I'm thinking of doing this, and eventually using the return trip to do what would amount to a separate return to Japan.
Maestro Ramen likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:34 am

I was originally booked on an open jaw in business. SEA-NRT and NRT-SJC. 90,000 miles were collected.

After my booking, IAH to NRT opened in F on the outbound and I called in to check if I could change just the outbound. The agent was able to set it up and it ticketed fine. I paid the $50 change fee.

However, I see that an additional 30k miles were collected. Is this correct? As I understand it, IAH to NRT roundtrip in F is 120,000. But I thought that on a mixed class trip -- J one direction and F the other -- they collected half of the relevant roundtrip for each. So, I was expecting that it would be 45,000 for the SEA-NRT let and then 60,000 for the IAH to NRT.

Was I mistaken? Does the one leg in F mean the entire award is priced as an F award even though the return is in J?
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:16 pm

Hi there, wife and I flying from DC to Japan this weekend and unfortunately due to some name change issues and rewards bookings through Virgin Atlantic, we are now split up to one in First Class and one in Economy.
There are 3 first class seats available for purchase as of now and upon calling ANA, they said that there are 0 people on the awards waitlist.

Any idea when/if these seats would be released to awards? Anyone have any last minute success stories?
If they don't release them, is there a chance of upgrading at the airport upon asking? (It's our honeymoon)

Thanks all!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.