Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by synergypi
Only round trip or open jaw awards on ANA are possible. For VA you have to book ORD/TYO and TYO/SYD as two separate awards which would be 185K VA miles for 1 J passenger. But only 105K miles on ANA if seats available.
So is there a way to travel for 105k on ANA using VA miles?

185k would be ok for 1 passenger if this was round trip, I suppose we could split up and my wife’s route might be ORD-LAX-SYD or AKL on AA for 160k. This obviously wouldn’t be ideal but we’ve done it before.

One last question my wife also really wants to visit New Zealand; ANA shows AKL but when I put in ORD-AKL it said not valid. I assume ORD-TYO then TYO-AKL is ok?
Old Dec 23, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: ANA Pt
Originally Posted by kmandrew

So is there a way to travel for 105k on ANA using VA miles?

185k would be ok for 1 passenger if this was round trip, I suppose we could split up and my wife’s route might be ORD-LAX-SYD or AKL on AA for 160k. This obviously wouldn’t be ideal but we’ve done it before.

One last question my wife also really wants to visit New Zealand; ANA shows AKL but when I put in ORD-AKL it said not valid. I assume ORD-TYO then TYO-AKL is ok?
For 105k on ANA , I mean ANA miles on ANA Mileage Club. I don't think VA miles transfer over to ANA MC account, but AMEX points do. ANA doesn't fly to AKL so this leg would be a Star Alliance partner like Air New Zealand. Might be worth looking at 2 tickets for the US/Asia legs only (ORD-TYO) and other ways (cash or other FF) to add on other legs.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 7:45 pm

I try to cancel 2 J ticket from US to NRT next May 2018, is the cancel fee still $50 per person? or this fee only applied to change the date not cancel? anyone experience with cancel ticket? please let me know how much it cost? thank you!
Old Jan 3, 2018, 7:36 pm

Has anyone had any experiences changing an award on NH through VS? I've got my parents booked in Y on a round-trip and I am hoping to upgrade them to J as the departure nears. I had heard that changing an award wasn't easy in the past.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 11:45 am

Just booked roundtrip F ORD-HND and then NRT-ORD on the return for November 2018. Called, got confirmation and a ref. code. Transferred points (240 both for roundtrip), called, back gave ref. code and booked! Agent gave me the confirmation code to reserve our seats on ANA, got an email confirmation almost immediately and the flight shows up in our Virgin Atlantic account. Agent even let me book for my husband through his account (I gave my husband the phone and he was able to add me to gain permission). All in all, took about 10-15 minutes minus wait time. We still can't believe how easy and what a steal this was!
Old Jan 7, 2018, 11:41 am

I'm looking to book ANA F from the US to TYO and found a few flights that work. I'm going to need a positioning flight (domestic, within the US) on my outbound leg. Should I try to make this as part of the award booking with VS, or book it separately? I'm mostly concerned should there be any issue on my positioning flight that it would be better handled to have that on the same ticket, but not sure if this is possible.

Also, if I were to do mixed cabins (J one direction, F the other), do you pay the full 110k/120k miles as if it were a round trip F, or do they split it and charge a lower amount?
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:39 am

^
Originally Posted by SKooT1027
I'm looking to book ANA F from the US to TYO and found a few flights that work. I'm going to need a positioning flight (domestic, within the US) on my outbound leg. Should I try to make this as part of the award booking with VS, or book it separately? I'm mostly concerned should there be any issue on my positioning flight that it would be better handled to have that on the same ticket, but not sure if this is possible.

Also, if I were to do mixed cabins (J one direction, F the other), do you pay the full 110k/120k miles as if it were a round trip F, or do they split it and charge a lower amount?
Pretty sure you should be able to book it all as one ticket with VS, you’d obviously just have to pay the extra cash/extra mileage for your positioning flight. Obviously your best option is to try and get your whole journey on one ticket.

Regarding the mixed cabins, I mentioned a couple of months ago that I was advised that if you’re flying mixed cabins you pay the higher mileage regardless. However, when I made my booking I was charged the business class rate for my outbound flight and the first class rate for the return. I had the agent triple check everything and everything was correct, so seemingly that original advice was incorrect!
Old Jan 16, 2018, 2:24 pm

I try to redeem 1 ticket in J for the brother SFO-NRT-SGN, and I understand it will cost 90k for SFO-NRT but not sure how much it cost for the remain segment? anyone know? also the bag will be check all the way to SGN right? thanks!
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:17 am

Are open jaws possible? Reading the past posts, some says yes and others say no..

Can I route it from SFO-NRT, then KIX-SFO (layover in NRT)?
Old Jan 28, 2018, 5:27 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, CC Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, DL PM
Originally Posted by bobloblaw
Are open jaws possible? Reading the past posts, some says yes and others say no..

Can I route it from SFO-NRT, then KIX-SFO (layover in NRT)?
I definitely have an open jaw - SFO-NRT-LAX, so open jaws are allowed. However, from reading this thread, it does not seem that an open jaw in the reverse works very well. It is my understanding that the KIX to NRT portion adds fuel surcharges and the mileage amount is added as if it is a separate redemption. Usually, the suggestion is to pay cash or miles on a separate ticket from KIX to NRT. Of course, you would need to add the layover that you feel comfortable with. My suggestion is always to go in the night before. It gives room if a flight is cancelled. However, the NRT-SFO leaves late in the day, so you might be able to do a morning flight.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 3:09 pm

Any advice for a family of 4 of how to get availability?
We ideally want to go from NYC to Tokyo and use our Virgin Atlantic FC points.
It looks like only 2 seats open up in F but what about Business Class?

Any help really welcome! We are looking at April 2019.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 4:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
I checked LHR-HND ANA availability on the ANA site daily for many months as I wanted to use my VS points for either 3pax or 4pax and never once saw availability for more than 2. I even checked some of the other European routes as would have been happy to position to MUC/CDG/BRU. We ended up using the VS points for UC to HKG and then CX flights HKG-HND. Obviously a different route, so YMMV. Good luck! You may have to split your group with 2 in Y, 2 in J.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 6:40 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
NH F booking

Originally Posted by james10999
Any advice for a family of 4 of how to get availability?
We ideally want to go from NYC to Tokyo and use our Virgin Atlantic FC points.
It looks like only 2 seats open up in F but what about Business Class?

Any help really welcome! We are looking at April 2019.
If you do not have EF to check, you can use Lifemiles to check, but you have to search day by day. It will show how many seats are available. From personal experience, NH never release more than 2 seats in F, for J I have seen 4 seats available. Good luck!

KathinJax likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 2:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
I didn't know that! It's really useful to see the number of seats available
Old Feb 3, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by ankomonkey
I didn't know that! It's really useful to see the number of seats available
Works for all *A partner as well. You can check for space for SQ, NZ, SA and CA too

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.