Best use of 94k miles?

Old May 9, 17, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Best use of 94k miles?

Hello!

I have about 94k miles, that I am worried are reaching their expiration date.

1) What is the best use of miles, at around this balance? I could transfer in miles from UR/MR (more than 300k available)

2) Is the best use really to transfer to Hilton?

3) Anything else I should know, about the value of 94k VA miles, in 2017?
Old May 9, 17, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
They expire 3 years after the last activty on a rolling basis. How long do you actually have left before they expire?

If you just want to extend then do the minimum transfer from MR then that will give you 3 years to consider what you want to do with them.
Old May 9, 17, 5:30 pm
Community Director

If you have no other use for them, you can move them to Hilton in 10K increments. You get 1.5 Hilton point for 1 Virgin Atlantic point.
Old May 9, 17, 6:54 pm

Programs: Skyteam Elite+, VS Red, HHonours Diamond, Accor Plat
Another option is a tiny transaction on shops away, e.g. 1 spend via ebay, will reset the expiration date of all the miles.

https://shop.virgin-atlantic.com/

The only caveat is don't leave it too late, shops away can take a while to post (if they post at all). MR/UR transfer is far more reliable.

How much 94k miles are worth is highly dependant on what you might want to do with them. It's almost 5 round trip economy flights from East Coast to UK or one Upper Class return.

Last edited by stuart_f; May 9, 17 at 6:59 pm
Old May 9, 17, 7:06 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K/*G; IHG Spire Ambassador; Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Globalist
Or a First Class round trip from London to Beijing on Air China.
Old May 10, 17, 2:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Best use Hilton? Err... not at all...

Keep the miles alive with activity. Then look at the partner rewards thread for information on ANA First or Business Class to Japan. Delta to London isn't a horrible redemption either...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: