Search

Flying from Manchester

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2017, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Atlantic red
Flying from Manchester

hey guys,
i live very close to Heathrow but with these new routes coming up from Manchester Airport I thought I would have a look at prices and compare the difference. Oh boy is there a difference!

The route I looked at was XXX- BOS (Upper Class)
MAN- BOS: 15th July - 19th July £1454 Rt (can change at JFK no price difference but better arrival time) (twice weekly)
LHR- BOS: 15th July- 19th July £ 3846 Rt

BA: same dates and destination (of course going through Heathrow) £2228

I couldn't believe the difference! I was unsure about going to America with the crappy exchange rate but now with these sorts of prices from MAN it might have to be my new airport!
Old May 9, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: VS Gold
Indeed, they are really pushing the new destinations from MAN. For a short while they were running MAN-BOS for a mere £999 in Upper Class! Even so, 1400 is still very good.

The routes appear to only be summer-seasonal at the moment, MAN-SFO/BOS will end (hopefully just temporarily) in September. JFK looks to just be reducing in frequency.
Old May 9, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: VS Gold
They seem to be running the promotion still actually, various dates in May & June are coming up with ~£1,000 for Upper Class MAN-BOS
Old May 9, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: Skyteam Elite+, VS Red, HHonours Diamond, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Biggles52
hey guys,
i live very close to Heathrow but with these new routes coming up from Manchester Airport I thought I would have a look at prices and compare the difference. Oh boy is there a difference!

The route I looked at was XXX- BOS (Upper Class)
MAN- BOS: 15th July - 19th July £1454 Rt (can change at JFK no price difference but better arrival time) (twice weekly)
LHR- BOS: 15th July- 19th July £ 3846 Rt
The difference you are seeing is not do to with the point of origin but is because on the specific date you picked the LHR flight has sold out of the cheaper Z bucket and is offering an I fare instead. You are comparing apples to oranges.

If you look at LHR- BOS: 13th July- 19th July £ 1,891 Rt (Z on both legs) that's more like the normal cost difference.
Old May 10, 2017, 12:21 pm

I did Manchester to Boston for less that £1000 over Easter in UC. My husband for about £300 more had a flight with car transfers and additional points etc.

I probably wouldnt do Manchester again. The way back with the Boston lounge and home in 90 minutes after stepping off the plane was great but the outbound was grim as Manchester is the airport that time forgot-I really had forgotten how grim a UK airport can be- I usually fly from Leeds or LHR.

Took over 30 minutes to bag drop as only 1 UC desk for example.

Last edited by Barnaby100; May 11, 2017 at 12:08 pm
Old May 11, 2017, 5:20 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Just flew back last night MAN-BOS and there were 94 pax on board.

Our outbound flight was cancelled (see other thread) due to what we think were commercial reasons.

The season was due to end in Oct but will stop in Sep.

This doesn't bode well for the BOS service, however VS will be taking over the DL JFK flight from Manchester, I believe.

And yes, Manchester Airport is grim. I won't rush back!
Old May 12, 2017, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Barnaby100
I did Manchester to Boston for less that £1000 over Easter in UC. My husband for about £300 more had a flight with car transfers and additional points etc.

I probably wouldnt do Manchester again. The way back with the Boston lounge and home in 90 minutes after stepping off the plane was great but the outbound was grim as Manchester is the airport that time forgot-I really had forgotten how grim a UK airport can be- I usually fly from Leeds or LHR.

Took over 30 minutes to bag drop as only 1 UC desk for example.
I really don't mind Manchester Airport, and it's only a short ride over the Snake Pass and through the dreaded Glossop for me, but I really don't like Leeds, I think it's one of the worst airports I've been to (aside from Heraklion!!) It has been a few years though, maybe it has improved
Old May 12, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lorelai
I really don't mind Manchester Airport, and it's only a short ride over the Snake Pass and through the dreaded Glossop for me, but I really don't like Leeds, I think it's one of the worst airports I've been to (aside from Heraklion!!) It has been a few years though, maybe it has improved
No. LBA has def not improved
Old May 12, 2017, 5:22 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
My brother has described East Midlands Airport as the dreariest one he has ever been to...
Old May 24, 2017, 7:31 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG (Platinum Elite), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors
I actually just booked an itinerary that includes a flight to Manchester (flying from PHL, connecting in JFK). Round trip in economy with the return from CDG ended up being $921 - the price went DOWN ~$110 between me looking it up last night and me booking today. I couldn't figure out why it was so cheap, I had assumed flying to LHR would be the prime option. Don't know why it's so cheap, but hey, I ain't complaining.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.