Changing terminals at Manchester

Old Apr 3, 17, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Changing terminals at Manchester

Hi my partner is travelling to Florida with Virgin holidays next week from ABZ to MCO via MAN. The ABZ MAN leg is with Flybe and arrives T3 the MAN - MCO leg is Virgin Atlantic.

Outbound is 1hr 20mins and on the return it is only 50mins. She is traveling with 2 small children and the time seems very tight.

Can anyone advise a) how to change terminals to Manchester and b) is that enough time?

Thank you
Old Apr 3, 17, 7:53 pm

Unfortunately it's a bit of a pain. I assume she is through ticketed and not on separate bookings given that it is a holidays booking?

If through ticketed and she can get the MCO boarding card in ABZ, then on the outbound follow the signs for flight transfers on arrival at T3. There is a bus over to T2 and she'looks probably be ok time wise (although that's less time than I would like personally). If she is unable to get the boarding card then she will have to visit the flight transfer centre which if I recall correctly is in T1, THEN get a bus to T2 🙄

The return looks much less safe. On arrival she will have to take the bus to the fabled flight transfer centre in T1, clear security again and then walk to T3 (5 mins walk). 50 mins is pretty darn tight for that tbh, I am not optimistic that she will make it with kids in tow.

50 mins by the way is the MCT at MAN. If she is going to go for it then make sure she sits as close to door L2 as possible on the VS flight (downstairs PE or front of economy) and get ready to leg it! (I'd also have a look when the next ABZ flight is, they are multiple daily).

Last edited by Armodeen; Apr 3, 17 at 8:05 pm
Old Apr 4, 17, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice, it is a through booking via virgin holidays so you'd like to assume its doable as a single booking!

I'll pass that on and keep fingers crossed
Old Apr 5, 17, 4:51 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by Armodeen View Post
Unfortunately it's a bit of a pain. I assume she is through ticketed and not on separate bookings given that it is a holidays booking?

If through ticketed and she can get the MCO boarding card in ABZ, then on the outbound follow the signs for flight transfers on arrival at T3. There is a bus over to T2 and she'looks probably be ok time wise (although that's less time than I would like personally). If she is unable to get the boarding card then she will have to visit the flight transfer centre which if I recall correctly is in T1, THEN get a bus to T2 🙄

The return looks much less safe. On arrival she will have to take the bus to the fabled flight transfer centre in T1, clear security again and then walk to T3 (5 mins walk). 50 mins is pretty darn tight for that tbh, I am not optimistic that she will make it with kids in tow.

50 mins by the way is the MCT at MAN. If she is going to go for it then make sure she sits as close to door L2 as possible on the VS flight (downstairs PE or front of economy) and get ready to leg it! (I'd also have a look when the next ABZ flight is, they are multiple daily).
It must be a single ticket. There's no way a TA should've sold separate tickets with requirement to re-check with 1h20. She'd never make last check in otherwise.
Old Apr 6, 17, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Nope - we have got to the bottom of it Flybe introduced their summer timetable after the booking was made, you'd have though that this was managed with virgin but apparently not.

Booking has now been changed to the later flight from MAN - ABZ.... giving a 5 hour lay over, one extreme to the other!
Old Apr 10, 17, 12:31 pm

Programs: StarWood Hotels-Gold, Loews Hotels-Gold, RCI-Diamond, HH Diamond
2 hour Connection?

I have a similar situation myself.

I am traveling ATH - MAN - MCO.

The ATH - MAN leg is Aegean and the MAN - MCO on VS Upper Class.

I am on two separate tickets and will need to collect one luggage item and recheck since Aegean will not likely thru check.

I arrive at scheduled 10:45am with departure scheduled at 12:45pm.

Is this likely to make? We are both seasoned travelers and move quick, but not sure on immigration and baggage claim with regard to time.

I should also add, I could make the earlier MAN - MCO flight, but would place me with only 90 minutes from arrival to departure and not sure that's likely.

Many thanks,

Andrew
Old Apr 10, 17, 12:54 pm

Programs: BA (GOLD), VS
If you are on separate tickets then you are not on a connection.

Nor do you have 2 hours.

If you have to recheck your bags then you have 2 hours less the VS check-in / bag drop time - which is most probbably one hour before scheduled departure. And given the need to be at the VS gate within ?20-?30 minutes before departure you'll have even less time for the airport procedures.

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Apr 10, 17 at 1:07 pm
Old Apr 10, 17, 1:05 pm

Programs: BA (GOLD), VS
this is from the MAN website . see towards the bottom of the page.