Search

Award tickets changes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, OA Gold (in memoriam), Hertz #1 Gold
Award tickets changes

Hi there,

I have exactly 80.000 VS miles and I want to book an upper class ticket to NY before January the 15th when the program changes.

I don't know when I will be able to travel but I was thinking of booking the ticket and then changing it.

Is there a fee for changing award tickets? Will they ask for extra mils if I change a ticket already purchased before the change date?

Thanks
Old Jan 13, 2017, 9:19 am

There is a £30 change fee plus I'm fairly certain you'll be repriced at the new rates (miles and fuel surcharge)
Old Jan 13, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: Skyteam Elite+, VS Red, HHonours Diamond, Accor Plat
Is there a fee for changing award tickets?
Yes. £30 each (I think this used to be waived for VS Gold but I can see no mention of this in the new T&Cs)

See: https://www.virginatlantic.com/conte...ing-miles.html

4.2.1. Once reward tickets are issued, you may amend your travel date, route or class of service prior to travel for an amendment fee of £30 for changes to international flights originating in the UK
Will they ask for extra mils if I change a ticket already purchased before the change date?
They should do but past history says you sometimes get lucky when booking in a sale period and then shifting it to outside the sale. The new IT may be a bit more switched on with the peak/off-peak rates so you might not get lucky anymore.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by stuart_f
They should do but past history says you sometimes get lucky when booking in a sale period and then shifting it to outside the sale. The new IT may be a bit more switched on with the peak/off-peak rates so you might not get lucky anymore.
I wonder if because these are current rates, a change post Monday will be honoured at the previous current rates. Seems odd that they would unofficially honour previous sale rate booking date changes however enforce the new current rates and reprise, if that makes sense? Would be interesting to find out the answer, with two days to go, might be worth making a few speculative bookings...
Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.
There was some discussion on V-Flyer about this too and I think people believe that the old rates will be honoured for changes to flights made before 15th... HOWEVER the proof will be in the pudding, so we won't truly know until the changes come into effect really. I wouldn't be surprised if it did involve a reprice to the new rates.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:22 am

My take on it is that it used to depend on whether the agent noticed you'd redeemed fewer miles for a sale rate or not. Sale rates only happened a couple of times a year so it wasn't a major thing - the majority of the time they didn't seem to notice and therefore didn't ask for more miles.

With the new IT system and the difference in Peak and Off-Peak dates I now suspect the agents will be trained to check the number of miles in each case so I doubt many will slip through the net at the lower rate anymore.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.
Originally Posted by stuart_f
With the new IT system and the difference in Peak and Off-Peak dates I now suspect the agents will be trained to check the number of miles in each case so I doubt many will slip through the net at the lower rate anymore.
I get the feeling that their new IT may even enforce these rules and not allow it to get ticketed until the difference is taken. But this is pure speculation on my part.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:36 am

Chatting to the check-in agent during a recent trip would seem to back that up. The old system would allow an agent to override warnings while the new system simply won't let you go past any entry the system doesn't like.

This caused lots of fun when we tried to put an alpha-numeric answer into a field that the programmer had decided was going to be numeric only!

If that's the way the check-in system works I imagine the ticketing system will be no different.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 12:00 pm

I just made a change to a miles booking and the change fee was waived as I am Gold.

I also asked about fees for cancellation and the Agent advised that there would be no cancellation fee either...which I queried but was advised that no, no cancellation fee for Golds.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 6:24 am

Good to have confirmation that the Gold waiver is still in place. I was just surprised that there's no mention of it that I can find in the new T&Cs.

As I've dropped all the way to Red now I doubt I'll need it anytime soon
Old Jan 14, 2017, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I'm sure I've answered this in other threads, but the FAQ for the changes makes it quite clear that date changes are allowed post the 16th. http://discoverflyingclub.virginatlantic.com/uk#1331

13. Can I change the date I want to fly if it means my flight moves to a different season?

Of course, if you booked your flight prior to 16 January 2017 you just need to pay a date change fee. However, if you made your booking after this date and want to change and fly in a different season you will need to pay more. Our Customer Service Centre will confirm the price and availability as each route differs.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: Flying Club Silver
New joiner here.

I can confirm that changing the date on a reward flight booked prior to the 16th Jan does not incur a further deduction of miles to reflect the new reward flight pricing. Just this week I changed my LHR-ATL one way UC ticket, which I had booked specifically on 5th Jan to get the cheaper mileage rate, in the knowledge that I might have to subsequently incur the £30 change fee.

On a related point, the next day I received my confirmation email with the booking details. I noted that the taxes and surcharges for my new ticket are lower than what I originally paid in January. Am I entitled to a refund of the difference or is this a sunk cost?
Old Feb 18, 2017, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LeedsTiger
New joiner here.

I can confirm that changing the date on a reward flight booked prior to the 16th Jan does not incur a further deduction of miles to reflect the new reward flight pricing. Just this week I changed my LHR-ATL one way UC ticket, which I had booked specifically on 5th Jan to get the cheaper mileage rate, in the knowledge that I might have to subsequently incur the £30 change fee.

On a related point, the next day I received my confirmation email with the booking details. I noted that the taxes and surcharges for my new ticket are lower than what I originally paid in January. Am I entitled to a refund of the difference or is this a sunk cost?
Call it a sunk cost. You would have to cancel and re-book to get the currently applicable taxes and surcharges.

That said, I'm not aware of VS having lowered surcharges across the board, so you might just be seeing a glitch anyhow.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 6:19 pm

Looking to get info on changes to an award ticket on ANA w VS miles.
Suppose I have already taken the outbound portion of my ticket and need to change the date for the return (routing/carrier will remain unchanged). Would it be possible to change it assuming there's availability by paying the $30 change fee?

Thanks
Old Nov 24, 2020, 3:59 am

Programs: QR Privilege Club Marriott Bonvoy
Hi all sorry to revive this old thread,

Does anyone know the cut off time for date changes on partner award tickets? Is it the same 24 hours before departure or can you do it even later than that?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.