Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin Gold on Delta flights

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2017, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Virgin Gold on Delta flights

Hi all,

I am wondering whether anybody has any experience with getting privileges such as Skypriority, Delta comfort+ upgrades, etc when using Virgin Flying Club number to fly on Delta flights. I recently flew Delta but was told their system does not recognize Virgin Elite status and hence zero benefits.

Thanks!
Teng
Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:15 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Yes you get sky priority. You get added to the comfort + upgrade waiting list.. and then will watch as you fall to about 30th in the queue, because probably even silver medallions get prioritised over virgin golds. You can however select preferred seats for free - these are the seats directly behind the comfort + ones, which is better than being forced to sit right at the back. The best thing is that you can access the VS clubhouse when flying delta domestically (e.g JFK terminal 4).
Old Jan 11, 2017, 2:18 am

Programs: VS Gold
I've had several upgrades to Comfort+ as Virgin Gold. Including two to F.

Not sure what happened with your recent Delta flight but you should definitely have been recognised.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by robboc25
Yes you get sky priority. You get added to the comfort + upgrade waiting list.. and then will watch as you fall to about 30th in the queue, because probably even silver medallions get prioritised over virgin golds. You can however select preferred seats for free - these are the seats directly behind the comfort + ones, which is better than being forced to sit right at the back. The best thing is that you can access the VS clubhouse when flying delta domestically (e.g JFK terminal 4).
This is my experience... I moved to the US but am still VS Gold. It is impossible to get into Delta lounges flying domestically - even if VS Gold and flying First. Whereas BA Silver gets you into AA lounges - so little benefit to being with VS if living in the US.

I should really change to Delta given all the domestic travel - but Virgin America in the mix kept me with VS. Not a concern for long I'm sure.

Note that the Clubhouse in JFK closes at about 9am until about 3pm. It's right around the other side of T4 to Delta also.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by cazoz
This is my experience... I moved to the US but am still VS Gold. It is impossible to get into Delta lounges flying domestically - even if VS Gold and flying First. Whereas BA Silver gets you into AA lounges - so little benefit to being with VS if living in the US.

I should really change to Delta given all the domestic travel - but Virgin America in the mix kept me with VS. Not a concern for long I'm sure.

Note that the Clubhouse in JFK closes at about 9am until about 3pm. It's right around the other side of T4 to Delta also.
Only very top tier delta elites get free sky club. If you want access just sign up for Amex platinum, as this is one of the benefits. But generally they are pretty poor imho.

Yes the clubhouse is shut in the middle of the day, but it opens just in time for evening flights to the west coast (used to be able to access it flying VX too), and it is well worth the 10 minute walk round to the delta gates for the table service food, cocktails and champagne!
Old Jan 12, 2017, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by cazoz

I thought the VS-VA link had already ended following the sale of VA to AS?

You might want to double check if you would still get miles / TPs for any VA flights you have booked but not yet taken.

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Jan 12, 2017 at 5:34 am
Old Jan 12, 2017, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I thought the VS-VA link had already ended following the sale of VA to AS?

You might want to double check if you would still get miles / TPs for any VA flights you have booked but not yet taken.
yes was terminated at the end of last year.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Delta told me they do not recognize my Virgin number as Elite status. Of note, I only recently obtained Gold status and the numbering system has changed such that membership numbers no longer change as your status change. Would that have been a factor I wonder? Delta told me it is Virgin's fault and Virgin told me it is Delta's fault.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:43 pm

As a UK based VS Gold, the only benefit I notice is access to DL lounges when I am travelling back to UK and access to SkyPriority lanes.

If you are in the US and doing a lot of domestic and non-London travel, I'd recommend switching to the DL programme.

US domestic upgrades will be close to impossible for VS Golds unless it's a totally empty flight.

In the UK, VS benefits have to be competitive with the big BA. In the US, DL is the big one. Unless your travels are niche - all London - it's better to join one of the domestic airline programmes. I was a UA frequent flyer when I lived there, Economy Plus seats were the main attraction. Of course, all that was before UA's operational meltdowns. If I moved back, and had a choice, I'd pick DL; they run an incredibly reliable operation and the Econ product is quite good.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:20 am

All of my recent DL flights where I have added my Flying Club number have marked me as being a DL gold medallion member with all associated benefits.
Britgirlnyc likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by jamietb
All of my recent DL flights where I have added my Flying Club number have marked me as being a DL gold medallion member with all associated benefits.
And here is a link to the Delta Medallion benefits - see "Gold" column (most non-flight benefits do not apply to VS members):
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-benefits.html

I haven't flown Delta since Virgin changed their FF program, but in the past VS Gold members were definitely recognised.

Last edited by StingWest; Jan 17, 2017 at 8:47 am
Old Jan 22, 2017, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jamietb
If I may ask, what does your Flying Club member number start with? I think the system only recognises previously used Gold numbers because they start of differently than in the new system.

Thanks!
Old Jan 25, 2017, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by leetmd
If I may ask, what does your Flying Club member number start with? I think the system only recognises previously used Gold numbers because they start of differently than in the new system.

Thanks!
I'm using my new FC number that starts 1063
Old Jan 25, 2017, 3:38 am

Programs: Ice Cream Franchise
I think my recent Delta flighss added Flying Club number have marked me as being a Delta flights gold medallion member with all associated benefits.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 4:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Gold
I managed to get a couple of upgrades to comfort plus a few weeks ago as VS Gold. I saw the same re: Gold medallion benefits. I used my new FC number in the booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.