Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Major changes to Flying Club announced today (31 Oct 16)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Major changes to Flying Club announced today (31 Oct 16)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2016, 3:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by craigthemif
No matter what BA or Virgin Atlantic or anybody else do to their fre6quent flyer programmes, they will still be better than Skymiles! Just read a couple of US bloggers to find out about unpublished award charts, huge increases in award pricing with no notice, an aim of anchoring expectations that one mile equals one US cent, etc.
Delta is pretty worthless.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 5:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
No matter what BA or Virgin Atlantic or anybody else do to their frequent flyer programmes, they will still be better than Skymiles! Just read a couple of US bloggers to find out about unpublished award charts, huge increases in award pricing with no notice, an aim of anchoring expectations that one mile equals one US cent, etc.
Thanks for that, FC it is then.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 6:13 am

No matter what BA or Virgin Atlantic or anybody else do to their frequent flyer programmes, they will still be better than Skymiles! Just read a couple of US bloggers to find out about unpublished award charts, huge increases in award pricing with no notice, an aim of anchoring expectations that one mile equals one US cent, etc.
While I generally agree with your view on Skymiles (in fact to the point of never actually earning a Skymile) it has to be noted that Delta even with their unannounced devaluation in J for TATL in 2017 is cheaper points-wise from the West Coast than VS at peak times and not that much more expensive non-peak and Delta comes with MUCH lower YQ than VS or BA for travel originating in US. Delta also gives you more TATL options than VS.

It has been my experience it has always been wise to look beyond the bloggers (who lets be honest regularly trash VS too) and see what value any particular program has for one's particular travel needs.

Last edited by 36902BRF; Nov 6, 2016 at 6:19 am
Old Nov 6, 2016, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by kanderson1965
Thanks for that, FC it is then.
Honestly that may be the right answer but I would take the time (which perhaps you have) to look at the various programs and look at how the numbers work on the earn and burn side, what the awards availability from your departure (points) and to the places you want to go. The internet is full of opinions but frequent traveler programs are pretty darn complex and the absolutely definition of YMMV.

For example while I prefer VS J to BA J, I prefer BA F to VS J (with the exception that VS Clubhouse > BA CCR). From my gateway city BA F award space is quite frequently available (multiple seats) and at least when I am traveling with my son it is now cheaper points-wise (with the Chase 2-4-1 cert) than VS J so that is no brainer for me. Also when traveling with my son on revenue J BA makes more sense thanks to their household account (I am not VA AU so no household for me) even though I would prefer to fly VS J since he is not left with orphaned points. Now of course none of this is relevant to you if you fly alone but it does show that ones mileage may vary depending on their circumstances.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 8:10 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, BAPP
'Flights do not automatically go back for booking....'

Thanks for this tip, I will likely phone to see whether anything can be done but at least I am prepared now, cheers
Old Nov 6, 2016, 8:22 am

I had been looking to book an internal flight from SFO to LAX next april using miles so contacted flying club and this was there reply:
As of the 12th of November 2016, we will no longer be Flying Club partners with Virgin America. Therefore, members will no longer be able to use their miles to book flights with them.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 10:14 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by neilsr
As of the 12th of November 2016, we will no longer be Flying Club partners with Virgin America. Therefore, members will no longer be able to use their miles to book flights with them.
True, but you should be able to book now for travel after the 12th.

The partnership between Virgin Atlantic and Virgin America will come to an end on 12 November 2016. We are able to accept new reward bookings for future travel on Virgin America until 11 November 2016.

We will be unable to accept any new reward bookings on Virgin America from 12 November 2016. Any reward bookings made and ticketed on Virgin America prior to this date will be honoured.

Members will be able to earn miles when travelling on Virgin America up to and including 12 November 2016. Members will have 6 months after this date to retrospectively claim for miles for travel up to and including 12 November 2016.
http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/gb/en...n-america.html
Old Nov 7, 2016, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by mia
True, but you should be able to book now for travel after the 12th.

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/gb/en...n-america.html
Unfortunately used up most of miles on UC return flights & won't have enough miles until after the 12th.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 10:22 am

Answered upstream where I cut and pasted from the VS website.

Date changes will be allowed for the usual fee without more miles being required.
Great, Ł35 is much more manageable than the increase in miles. Worth making speculative reservations before the changes then in my case.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TMM1982
Heading to SXM with spouse next week for 22K miles/each roundtrip (DL flash sale). There are definitely deals to be found at times. Probably not the program for you if you are EU based (foreign surcharges) or fixated on J tickets to exotic places. But for regular folks like me who are content to fly coach within US, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, etc., it's been acceptable. I pay little attention to the bloggers (who clearly have their own agendas).
Old Nov 11, 2016, 11:44 am

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
Originally Posted by TMM1982
Since I travel to Mexico a lot for leisure, I generally find good award availability on Delta to places like CUN and GDL from LAX in economy and business. So to me my VS and DL miles are very valuable. I hate that VX is going away. Just did a RT VS redemption on VX for 3 in first class for 40K miles each.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.