FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-atlantic-airways-flying-club-506/)
-   -   Best PE Seats (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-atlantic-airways-flying-club/1795062-best-pe-seats.html)

jascp Oct 6, 2016 12:48 pm

Best PE Seats

New to VS and this forum. I spent an hour searching for this and came close but did see anything this specific.

Next week I have LHR > BOS on a A330-300 in premium economy. Seatguru has mostly miserable reviews on all of the seats. What are the best seats in this section? Are they as miserable as the reviews indicate?

I also have the 787-9 JFK > LHR in premium economy but it did not have as many hateful reviews and I took 25K. Is it really better.

I picked this over Delta premium economy. I would appreciate your thoughts on that decision as well.

SlimpyJones Oct 6, 2016 1:58 pm

I would take seatguru, and really any other airline reviews on the internet with a fistfull of salt. Nobody ever really posts unless they have something to moan about!

The A330 PE is great. As you saw on seatguru Row 21 is windowless so if that's a factor then it's worth considering. Me, I always go for the back row, because there's guilt free unimpeded recline! For that reason I would say Row 25 on the 787-9 is a sound choice also.

As far as VS vs. DL premium economy, well, DL's Comfort+ isn't really premium economy, akin to VS, AF, or even BA. It's just a regular main cabin seat with extra legroom.

VS PE is a very good product and I think you made the best decision :)

jascp Oct 6, 2016 2:36 pm

Thank you. I have taken 25K on both planes. I could not believe how universal the griping was about people having their knees reclined onto. The only sound strategy seems to be picking from the bulkhead seats, no middle seats, or rear seats. I am taking your advice on the recline.

I will report back in this thread next week for any future flyer talk flyers. In the meantime if anyone else has some advice it will be appreciated.

YorkieFlyer Oct 6, 2016 2:55 pm

Mrs yorkieflyer and I are flying from Hong Kong overnight in PE on the 787 and were pondering which were the best seats. Re the last row can see the merit if guilt free recline but two questions come up. Does the last row have the same degree of recline as those forward. Second,would you face noise disturbance from the bassinet row behind?

jascp Oct 6, 2016 8:29 pm

I have a backrow seat on that plane. What information in an find says full recline and noise no greater than the rest of the cabin. But a crying baby won't bother me especially with 33db ear plugs or just some good tunes.

Nothing matters as much as seat comfort.

SlimpyJones Oct 7, 2016 1:56 am

Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer (Post 27312608)
Mrs yorkieflyer and I are flying from Hong Kong overnight in PE on the 787 and were pondering which were the best seats. Re the last row can see the merit if guilt free recline but two questions come up. Does the last row have the same degree of recline as those forward. Second,would you face noise disturbance from the bassinet row behind?

There's no difference in the recline on the back row, there's a decent sized "void" behind the seats so plenty of room.

Regarding the bassinet, you may still hear noise, but the divide between Econ and PE is closed during the flight which should help to reduce any disturbance. :)

jascp Oct 7, 2016 8:33 pm

Has anyone experienced the smashed knees from the seat in front of you fully reclining? The only seats exempt fromthat would be the foward bulkhead seats. How early do those go up for grabs?

craigthemif Oct 8, 2016 6:46 am

You'd have to be quite tall to have smashed knees in any proper PE. However bulkhead seats often have the problem of allowing plenty of "kneeroom" but limited "legroom" since you have a wall instead of a seat with space underneath it. I can't recall whether this is an issue on VS' 333.

The last row is a good choice, although frankly there's not going to be much of a difference no matter which seat you choose.

jascp Oct 8, 2016 7:19 pm

I called Virgin Atlantic they agent would only say the bulk head seats open up closer to checkin but he sure didn't say if that was close to before checkin or after.

Anyone have experience with getting the bulkhead seats?

jascp Oct 8, 2016 7:39 pm

I finally found this thread on this forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgi...d-seat-pe.html

Looks like snagging a bulkhead could be a problem.

UKtravelbear Oct 8, 2016 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by jascp (Post 27318174)
Has anyone experienced the smashed knees from the seat in front of you fully reclining? The only seats exempt fromthat would be the foward bulkhead seats. How early do those go up for grabs?

'smashed knee' in PE? where are you getting your info from?

VS PE seat pitch is 38"

How tall are you?

jascp Oct 9, 2016 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 27321627)

VS PE seat pitch is 38"

How tall are you?

I am 6'1". The info is from the various seat rating websites but especially seatguru. These reviews are from people who have sat in the seats and posted their thoughts. Have you traveled in these seats?

The problem, according to the reviews seems to be that the amount of seat recline is such that its possible to lower the seatback onto the knees of the person behind you. It is so much recline that the entire section must bring their seats the full upright position during meal service whether or not you are having a meal.

UKtravelbear Oct 9, 2016 7:26 pm

Yes I have.

I'm 6'2" and had no issues in PE with leg room.

Also no issues with recline or viewing the screen or during meal service.

Rosspb Oct 16, 2016 10:26 am

Is row 21 a bad row then for PE?

I'm booked in that row for my flight from JFK to LHR(vs0138) in May, would a different row be better?

gold23 Feb 12, 2017 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 27321627)

VS PE seat pitch is 38"

How tall are you?

I just flew VS 1 LHR-EWR on the A330. Seats 20H and 20K. ABSOLUTELY smashed knees. Couple in the bulkhead reclined fully for the whole 7:30 flight time, and I could barely maneuver. In terms of leg space, it was identical to a Y seat domestically in the US. The seat was very comfortable, the IFE great, and the service was comparable to what I'd find in domestic F here in the States.

BUT....that 38 pitch isn't too helpful when the recline is significant and the row in front uses every single inch.

I'm 6' on the nose. I was in the window, and it was gymnastics trying to get out of my seat to use the toilet.