Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Trying to book Singapore Airlines business class using virgin atlantic airmiles

Old Aug 13, 2016, 4:04 am
Original Poster

i am trying to get Singapore Airlines business class from lhr to sin using my virgin atlantic airmiles in April 2017 they i call the virgin flying club they say there not availability in the whole of April 2017 😠 no availability on any of the 3 flights out of LHR i find that shocking... help plz
Old Aug 13, 2016, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I suggest you start by reading the 'booking partner rewards' thread. It will give you a good reality check.

Part of the problem is that SQ severely limit the plane types that rewards are available on not just the indvidual flight numbers. Futther detais can be read on the SQ page on the VS website in the 'spend miles' section
Old Aug 13, 2016, 5:30 am
Original Poster

WOW... That is basically all the flight out of Heathrow you cannot get upgrades on.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 7:00 am

Programs: VS Au, Skywards Au, BA Exec Ag, HH Diamond, Taj Au
It's been this way for a long time, some people get around it by going to Europe to try from say Frankfurt ...
Old Aug 13, 2016, 9:51 am
Original Poster

They are launching new flight from Manchester to Singapore I guess that wont work eather... Frankfurt, Amsterdam and Munich they have availability..
Old Aug 13, 2016, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Rather than position to Europe to then fly direct to Singapore in one of the less desirable seats/planes, I would recommend flying to Hong Kong on VS and then using Avios (on CX) or cash/other miles to fly onwards to Singapore.

If you split the VS legs up (i.e. 2 one-ways instead of 1 return), you will find that there are no surcharges for the HKG-LHR flight, so that can work out quite well.

Alternatively, I believe Malaysia are still running the A380 to LHR and it is quite easy/cheap to get from KUL down to Singapore. But of course this is a partner award which is not pleasant to try to book.
PaulH1 likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Rather than position to Europe to then fly direct to Singapore in one of the less desirable seats/planes, I would recommend flying to Hong Kong on VS and then using Avios (on CX) or cash/other miles to fly onwards to Singapore.

If you split the VS legs up (i.e. 2 one-ways instead of 1 return), you will find that there are no surcharges for the HKG-LHR flight, so that can work out quite well.

Alternatively, I believe Malaysia are still running the A380 to LHR and it is quite easy/cheap to get from KUL down to Singapore. But of course this is a partner award which is not pleasant to try to book.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Very true but Malaysia business class is 6/10 compered to Singapore business.. i like the idea of avoiding surcharge using hingkong... i was looking at jet Airways you can use virging airmiles on jet..
Old Aug 13, 2016, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
My flight on the Malaysia A380 was a whole lot better than my flight on one of the Singapore angled-flat seats that SQ actually make available to partners...

If you could get a Singapore suite with miles, then of course we wouldn't have this thread...
Old Aug 14, 2016, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by romit2001
Very true but Malaysia business class is 6/10 compered to Singapore business.. i like the idea of avoiding surcharge using hingkong... i was looking at jet Airways you can use virging airmiles on jet..
Who did that rating? Not all rating websites are as independent and reliable as you may think.

Have a look on the MH and SQ boards on here for trip reports and comments on their service etc.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 6:09 am
Original Poster

So does anyone actually know the reason why business class is not available for Redemption from Heathrow
Old Aug 14, 2016, 7:41 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Who did that rating? Not all rating websites are as independent and reliable as you may think.

Have a look on the MH and SQ boards on here for trip reports and comments on their service etc.
I believe you can if you are a krisflyer with status, they look after their profitable clients and not those getting them from credit cards
Old Aug 14, 2016, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So does anyone actually know the reason why business class is not available for Redemption from Heathrow
Redemptions in Business Class and First Class on their A380-800, 777-300ER and A340-500 aircraft types are not available
AFAIK, they only fly A380 and 777-300ER planes to Heathrow. Therefore there is never any award availability in premium cabins provided to partners for this route.

Makes sense... LHR-SIN is an important route so SQ will only schedule their best product on it.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 3:31 pm

Programs: Skyteam Elite+, VS Red, HHonours Diamond, Accor Plat
Simple. It drives traffic to their other routes. If the only way to redeem from LHR is to have Krisflyer miles and status then it makes people want to collect Krisflyer miles.

VS aren't in an alliance where the redemption rates are agreed alliance-wide, so if SQ want to be difficult/business savvy*, they can be.

* delete as applicable.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 6:41 am

SIN-CPT reward in J using Flying Club miles?

Hi there all - I did ask this on SQ page as well -

I am looking to try to get an SQ reward flight in J using my Virgin Atlantic Flying Club miles for SIN-CPT in March 2020 -
but so far all this week when calling the Flying Club in the UK on requesting a seat it always comes back as a no from SQ (no in Y too)

Would anyone know please if this route is embargoed for Virgin FC rewards or should I wait a bit - plus if there any way to check the reward availability other than calling Flying Club all the time for them to make a request to SQ for a reward booking...

many thanks R

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.