Wiki Posts
Search

Best use of Virgin Miles - advice

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2016, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Virgin Atlantic

Hi everyone, first question on here so please be kind! My wife and I were hoping to travel to Las Vegas early August this year. However my wife has had occurrences of Atrial Fibrillation on two occasions. As a result she is very reluctant to fly such a long distance. I had hoped that she would be more comfortable and happier if we could have used our miles to upgrade to PE or even Upper? I have 68,330 and she has 30,911 miles. Does anyone have guidance as to the best use of these?

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 8:39 am

Programs: Skyteam Elite+, VS Red, HHonours Diamond, Accor Plat
Did you read the sticky?
Old Mar 18, 2016, 8:47 am

An Upper return upgrade from economy is 80k I believe. You could upgrade one leg for you both to Upper Class, depending on availability. Alternatively, you are just 1,000 miles shy of a combined 100k miles which would, plus taxes, buy you an Upper leg in one direction (to LAS for the clubhouse or from LAS for a good nights sleep) for both of you. Of course, you would need to then figure something out for the other leg.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Virgin Atlantic
Originally Posted by stuart_f
Did you read the sticky?

Sorry, 'Sticky"? Apologies if I've not followed the rules!?

Update! I see the sticky at the top of the forum, sorry. Seems quite complicated, or is that just me!

Last edited by khitomer; Mar 18, 2016 at 9:13 am
Old Mar 18, 2016, 10:03 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Originally Posted by khitomer
......... Seems quite complicated, or is that just me!
It isn't simple, but it isn't that bad. The main issue for you will be availability.

Vegas is a popular route in Upper and there are only a few suites. Getting reward availability has always been very difficult. PE will probably be easier, but you should be prepared to book early and be flexible with dates.

An alternative idea would be to go via LAX or SFO, then drive Vegas if your wife isn't up to an internal flight, but fly if she is.

As far as the maths is concerned - everything is explained very well in the sticky that Stuart has done.

Nick
Old Mar 18, 2016, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Stuart has done a really good job.

If that is a bit too much for you, then your best bet is to call Virgin Atlantic and explain that you want to buy a Premium Economy ticket and upgrade to Upper Class. Flying Club will tell you if there is award space and how much the underlying ticket will cost. Don't feel you need to buy on the spot, but just check availability and, if possible, put it on hold for a bit.

I suggest buying PE since the PE to UC upgrade should cost 22,500 miles, so your wife would be able to upgrade one person one-way. You could just barely upgrade three people one-way with 67,500 miles.

The advantage of starting with a PE ticket is that you might think it is "good enough" if you can't find Upper Class award availability for your preferred flight. Moreover, some award availability in Upper Class might pop up much closer to departure.

That said, award space to Vegas is hard to find. Are you aiming to depart London or Manchester? Have you already bought an economy ticket?
Old Mar 20, 2016, 1:17 pm

Programs: BA soon to be Silver

Welcome to the board. I fear that at this stage, it may simply be a case of whatever you can find - in redemption terms, August is just around the corner and is a popular time for Las Vegas, or LA / San Fran.
In your position and relative newness to this game, i would probably call up Virgin and see what they can do. You are a whisker short of a return redemption in PE to LA or San Fran - your wife is a little short of a one-way PE redemption (Virgin do offer a one-way redemption, and buying a one-way ticket for cash to get you back (at reasonable price - not the normal very high prices charged for one-ways)).
Looking at award availability, it is very patchy, but I rate Virgin Customer Services, and you may find something that suits, even if you have to buy a few miles.
Good luck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.