Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin Atlantic "mulls" low cost offshoot?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2016, 6:16 am
Original Poster

According to travel trade gazette they are anyway...

https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/news/virgin-atlantic-mulls-low-cost-offshoot-to-counter-growth-in-budget-long-haul-3508
Old Mar 2, 2016, 9:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
I wouldn't be against it if you could redeem FC miles on it and if they added any new destinations. I've just booked 2 flights on Norwegian short haul as they are about half the price of BA, even at the middle price option Norwegian have that includes a checked bag and seat reservation. Even with BA Silver status the cost saving makes Norwegian a much better option on this trip.

I'm afraid I find VS quite unattractive these days with their practically US-only focus.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 10:00 am

Programs: Skyteam Elite+, VS Red, HHonours Diamond, Accor Plat
I'm afraid I find VS quite unattractive these days with their practically US-only focus.
And with Atlanta calling the shots that doesn't seem like it's going to change anytime soon.

Even if I could redeem FC miles on the proposed budget carrier, I'm not sure I'd want to. The value in miles is in UC and it doesn't look like the offshoot will have much of that to offer.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 12:48 pm

Well if they can make money, why not? But i would think that the race to the bottom with Low Cost Airlines will only end in tears. First to market still has an advantage, last in may well suffer in the long run.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 1:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Originally Posted by stuart_f
The value in miles is in UC and it doesn't look like the offshoot will have much of that to offer.
I appreciate that. But I have kids aged 4 and 6. The 4 year old, in particular, would not cope with UC seat layout and would punish the remainder of the cabin as a result.

So either I take trips now in EC/PEC to places we don't really need/want to go to right now, convert to Hilton/IHG or wait until the kids are older for UC but the miles will probably have devalued.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by ankomonkey
I appreciate that. But I have kids aged 4 and 6. The 4 year old, in particular, would not cope with UC seat layout and would punish the remainder of the cabin as a result.

So either I take trips now in EC/PEC to places we don't really need/want to go to right now, convert to Hilton/IHG or wait until the kids are older for UC but the miles will probably have devalued.
I would imagine the miles will get (more) devalued soon. So dont wait, spend spend spend.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 4:19 pm

Programs: Skyteam Elite+, VS Red, HHonours Diamond, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by ankomonkey

I should have said, I find the value in miles is in UC. That's based on a pure Ł/mile valuation and a lack of kiddiewinkles.

I appreciate everyone's situation is different and as I said in another thread, if a miles redemption in Y lets your whole family visit the Mouse for the trip of a lifetime then that's real value.

Sadly, I agree that holding onto miles long-term is a lose-lose game. Earn and burn is the only sensible strategy.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 3:01 am

I'm generally a burner, but my FC collection was for flying to Japan in school holidays, so when they pulled the NRT route I was left with significant orphaned miles. I even ended up having to make a medium-value redemption on BA for my JP flight that I planned to do with VS miles. I could have used the BA miles far better with a bit of planning if I'd known VS were going to pull the route!
Old Mar 3, 2016, 5:26 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Presumably it would be a similar config to the prior 2 class A330's which were quite successful from what I heard from MAN/GLA.

I guess with the (not so) new management that is now in place is less about the prestige of having UPPER in each aircraft on leisure routes.

I wonder if second hand 330's is the 747 replacement at LGW then? And I wonder if they will go the charter route of charging for booze on LGW/MAN/GLA/BFS routes.

As for crew costs I presume they will get lower paid flight crew for these new flights as they seem to have cut the cabin crew compliments and ranks (as of April)
Old Mar 23, 2016, 1:09 pm

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL

I thought VS was the Delta low cost offshoot

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.