Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

stuart_f's guide to upgrading VS flights using Flying Club points.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

stuart_f's guide to upgrading VS flights using Flying Club points.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:02 am

Programs: BAEC
Best use of 32,000 FC Miles

Hi all

Was due to be heading to TLV from LHR - upgraded one way to UC from Economy. Trip obviously cancelled in light of circumstances so will be rebooking to use the miles and try out UC.

Wondered if anyone had any ideas on the best approach of using 32,000 miles for an UC upgrade and also if they forsee VA releasing more reward seats in Sep/Oct time?

Thanks!
Old Mar 29, 2020, 1:59 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
I am sorry, but predicting what may happen in the future is just impossible right now.
If the airline is still is existence after the pandemic is over, there will be a whole new set of rules to play by - far too many variables to even speculate at the moment IMHO.

Nick
Old Oct 27, 2020, 6:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Wyndham Gold
Apologies if this has already been answered, but do I get miles for the upgraded class of travel, if I choose to pay for the upgrade in cash? And if I upgrade using Virgin Points, would I still get the miles for class I had booked originally and paid for in cash?

Last edited by 747_Brat; Oct 27, 2020 at 7:06 am
Old Sep 24, 2022, 3:18 am
formerly willbbiddy

Simple questions I think.

1:ATL - LHR - JNB return trip for Delta mileage run. Can I upgrade with points if I'm crediting to Delta? (Economy delight)

2: What would the total amount of points need be?
Old Sep 25, 2022, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by BirdLawyer
Simple questions I think.

1:ATL - LHR - JNB return trip for Delta mileage run. Can I upgrade with points if I'm crediting to Delta? (Economy delight)

2: What would the total amount of points need be?
you should be able to. Low points. Very high fees.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 5:38 pm

Apologies if this isn't the correct thread for my query.

I have a business trip coming up in December and it will be my first time flying TPA-LHR on Virgin Atlantic. They've booked premium for me through VS and I was curious if I can use my Delta SkyMiles to upgrade to Upper Class?

Right now, all I see is the option to buy or bid on an upgrade.

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 8, 2022, 9:32 am

Programs: Flying Blue, BAEC, VAFC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
I'm trying to price up a redemption in a year's time, UK to New York next November.

I'm looking at upgrading to business class using points. I've worked out the cost on BA.

How can I find out what the fees will be if upgrading Premium to Upper Class on Virgin. I know the points cost, it's the fees I can't work out.

Flights aren't on sale yet, but I'm working out in advance.

Cheers for any help you can offer.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by DeeGee26.2
I'm trying to price up a redemption in a year's time, UK to New York next November.

I'm looking at upgrading to business class using points. I've worked out the cost on BA.

How can I find out what the fees will be if upgrading Premium to Upper Class on Virgin. I know the points cost, it's the fees I can't work out.

Flights aren't on sale yet, but I'm working out in advance.

Cheers for any help you can offer.
VA quoted me £230 in addition to the points for a one-way flight upgrade from Premium to Upper Class from LHR to BOS for this November, if that helps as a data point.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 5:34 am

Programs: Flying Blue, BAEC, VAFC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by justeunclou
VA quoted me £230 in addition to the points for a one-way flight upgrade from Premium to Upper Class from LHR to BOS for this November, if that helps as a data point.
Thanks, that's kind of what I'm anticipating. Trying to work out if it's cheaper to pay cash for Premium and upgrade, pay cash for Y and upgrade, or go straight for the J reward. If there's not much difference I'll upgrade in points from a cash ticket and save the rest of the points for another day.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 3:06 am

Reward vouchers and double class class upgrades

Hello, does anyone have any experience of upgrading two classes with miles on VS?

Specifically, I am wondering if I may be able to book a revenue economy fare, upgrade with points to Premium (and pay associated taxes/fees), then apply my UK credit card reward voucher to upgrade to UC (and pay associated taxes/fees).
Old Jan 20, 2023, 8:55 am

ok my brain exploded trying to work this out lol

I have a flight in May (JFK-LHR) and would like to upgrade to UC from a PE reward flight, a) is that possible, b) what would be the likely cost & c) how do i find out?

Is it something i need to callup on or can you do it online? I've seen the bid for upgrade but thats really high and no mention of miles...
Old Sep 14, 2023, 12:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Gold
Data point from recent LHR-ATL flight. Was booked in premium, and the app was showing c £3600 to upgrade to UC. Asked at the airport after checking in online the night before, and they wanted £949. Or c. 21,000 miles and £320 in taxes, which I snapped up.

Was lucky enough to get the retreat suite too.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 3:36 pm

I think I am missing the boat here but after reading all this (really appreciate all of the details!) I am struggling to figure out what the taxes & fees cost to upgrade will be.

Looking at RT flights LAS > MAN next summer, and see economy classic flights are 50K pts + $449 fees (vs $1493 all cash) and upper is 155K pts + $2229 fees (vs $4833 all cash).

This thread has me thinking that fee I would owe to upgrade Economy Classic to Upper is $2229 - $449 = $1780. Does that seem accurate? A cash economy booking of $1493 + $1780 in fees + 105K upgrade cost (peak) is my expected all-in? In which case I think I am paying an additional $1044 to save 50K points right (compared to buying Upper from the start on points)?

Trying to see if any of these make sense, want to fly Upper but having a hard time at these costs (in points or $). The advantage to buying on points I think is built in refund-ability, whereas cash + point upgrade presumably loses that benefit. (I understand there is also the loss of miles earned when using points).
Old Nov 15, 2023, 4:58 pm

Programs: IHG RA, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by willywilkes
I think I am missing the boat here but after reading all this (really appreciate all of the details!) I am struggling to figure out what the taxes & fees cost to upgrade will be.

Looking at RT flights LAS > MAN next summer, and see economy classic flights are 50K pts + $449 fees (vs $1493 all cash) and upper is 155K pts + $2229 fees (vs $4833 all cash).

This thread has me thinking that fee I would owe to upgrade Economy Classic to Upper is $2229 - $449 = $1780. Does that seem accurate? A cash economy booking of $1493 + $1780 in fees + 105K upgrade cost (peak) is my expected all-in? In which case I think I am paying an additional $1044 to save 50K points right (compared to buying Upper from the start on points)?

Trying to see if any of these make sense, want to fly Upper but having a hard time at these costs (in points or $). The advantage to buying on points I think is built in refund-ability, whereas cash + point upgrade presumably loses that benefit. (I understand there is also the loss of miles earned when using points).
That sounds roughly correct based on what I was told in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35713363-post7.html
willywilkes likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 6:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold (Emerald); Hilton Gold; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Radisson Gold
Answering my own question for future reference by others: K class can be upgrade to G/Upper Class using points.

Apologies if I've missed something important further up-thread, but some of this thread is quite old; I understood from this thread (and some old-dated Virgin webpages, and some blogs from before this year) that K class in Premium is ineligible for points upgrades to Upper.

Then I read the upgrades terms and conditions page on the Virgin Atlantic website which appears to show that Premium and Premium Flex can be upgraded to Upper, and there's no small print to exclude K class. (Economy Light, for example, does not show as eligible.)

I rang the call centre and the agent said any ticket, except Economy Light, can be upgraded.

Before I commit to a K class booking, sold as 'Premium Flex', I wanted to check with the collective wisdom here where it can indeed be upgraded with Flying Club points to Upper?

Many thanks, and merry Christmas!
Paul.

Last edited by paulieuk; Dec 28, 2023 at 1:45 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.