Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

stuart_f's guide to upgrading VS flights using Flying Club points.

stuart_f's guide to upgrading VS flights using Flying Club points.

Old May 1, 2016, 5:09 am

Programs: EK, VS, SA, HH
Thank you Stuart, what an excellent and well formatted response!
In the ex-DUB example you gave, I see it's a VS itinerary including BA flights; would VS "penalise" you in any way if you were to skip the final LON-DUB flight in the same way that BA might if you booked the itinerary through BA?

I find it interesting that VS even offers the BA flights, with their continuous bitter rivalry

Last edited by baharini; May 1, 2016 at 6:39 am Reason: formatting
Old May 1, 2016, 9:16 am

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, OA Gold (in memoriam), Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by Nottingham Nick
Sorry, but without more information - which sites? what are you actually trying to do? what have you tried so far? etc. I would say that is a very difficult question to answer.

Nick
Thanks Nick,

I m looking at dub-nyc in June (18-21/6) and there is no VS availability in Google flights, kayak and vs website.

I don't know if it matters that I m currently browsing from Greece
Old May 1, 2016, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skyteam Elite+, VS Red, HHonours Diamond, Accor Plat
There is availability, it's just not shown in the top results because the price is astronomical. You need to click the "show me longer or more expensive flights" and scroll a long way down to find it.

http://goo.gl/flights/TDEA for Ł2,657

If you search on ITA Matrix is shows that VS legs are priced with IEUR7 fare code which seems to be a fully flexible ticket with limo transfers and not the discount (no limo) fare bucket. I have no idea why VS have done this.
Old May 3, 2016, 1:47 am

Bump (I hate to do that, apologies )
Old May 3, 2016, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Nobody can say with 100% certainty what will happen for a flight in the future but past experience is that nothing will happen. I doubt BA would even inform VS that you didn't show up.
Old May 3, 2016, 6:29 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Worthy of a mention (?) but I just booked an Upper Class return trip to the US for less than the cost of an upgradeable Economy fare.
Old May 4, 2016, 5:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.
Originally Posted by roberino
Worthy of a mention (?) but I just booked an Upper Class return trip to the US for less than the cost of an upgradeable Economy fare.
What are the details for this? How did you manage it?
Old May 4, 2016, 9:23 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by CommanderB
What are the details for this? How did you manage it?
I'll tell you after the trip. Don't want to jinx it and get my ticket cancelled!
Old May 4, 2016, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by roberino
I'll tell you after the trip. Don't want to jinx it and get my ticket cancelled!
Gah, got me interested! when are you flying out?
Old May 28, 2016, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by baharini
Gah, got me interested! when are you flying out?
OK, so it was MAN-ATL-DFW out on 22/5 in on 27/5 booked 3 weeks before the trip. Basic economy fare was Ł1326.72 and basic UC was Ł1397.72. The PE fare was double that!?!?! I even double-checked with the phone agent to make sure the rug wouldn't be pulled from under me and was told that, no, it was just a weirdly cheap fare.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 8:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Kimpton, Red Lion, SPG
I won an "A Class" economy ticket. When I won it, I was told I'd be upgraded to Upper Class based on space availability. How do I go about requesting an upgrade?
Old Jun 27, 2016, 5:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.
I've just noticed VS are quoting me an economy fare in V class but there doesn't seem to be any mention of this above, unless I have missed it? Anyone know about the V class and if it is eligible for upgrades or not...?
Old Jun 27, 2016, 6:26 am
Original Poster

When you say VS are quoting a V fare is this direct with VS or via Virgin Holidays?

4th paragraph:
Note: There's a V fare bucket that sits between Q and X but this is used for Virgin Holidays Economy booking and is excluded from miles upgrades so I've omitted it for clarity
Perhaps I've failed on the clarity bit

The problem is if I put it in it's correct place between Q and X then it'll look like it's supposed to be upgradable - and (AFAIK) it isn't.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 6:37 am

Its definitely not a Virgin Holidays booking. Its an LHR JFK return on VS metal. The VS website is showing me V class...
Old Jun 27, 2016, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Now that is interesting!

The upgrades page doesn't list V http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/gb...rade_table.jsp

Might be worth a call to confirm before booking.

ITA Matrix can't find any V fares LHR to JFK. Care to share the dates?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.