Wiki Posts
Search

Galley gossip: cabin crew reduction in PE

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2015, 5:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Galley gossip: cabin crew reduction in PE

I had a lengthy chat with a senior member of cabin crew on a recent flight. She told me that from next month VS will be cutting staff on selected flights. There will be two fewer crew members on each of these selected flights.

The meal service will start from Premium Economy and extend through to Economy so that there will be no dedicated staff in PE. On a 747 there is currently 15 cabin crew and this will be reduced to 13. On the Dreamliner 11 will become 9. This is supposed to be a "trial" from October although no routes have yet been confirmed.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 6:59 am

Programs: BAEC GCH, Virgin Flying Club SCH
That would contradict one of the selling points made on the VA website........

Our newly enhanced dedicated and award winning Premium Economy cabin is designed to give you plenty of personal space to relax, stretch out and unwind.

If you've booked your next flight in Premium Economy, you can take advantage of the following services:

• Dedicated Premium Economy check in, if you haven't already checked in online already!
  • Priority boarding at the gate.
  • On the plane you can relax into your seat with a pitch of 38 inches!
  • An additional two degrees of recline.
  • A flexible headrest and a new footrest.
  • Laptop power,
  • Preflight drink.
  • A complimentary newspaper to read.
  • A personal seatback TV offering the latest blockbuster movies, the hottest TV shows, video games and up to 14 audio channels ranging from pop to classical.
  • Your own devoted cabin crew to guarantee prompt and attentive service.
  • A delicious main meal served on china dinnerware accompanied by stainless steel cutlery.
  • An after dinner liqueur.
  • And when you land priority baggage reclaim.

To find out more about our Premium Economy service, visit our dedicated Premium Economy section.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 9:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Hope it's not true (I fly PE these days more and more)
Old Sep 17, 2015, 3:46 am

The email went out several weeks ago outlining the changes to include crew complement reductions on each flight and streamlining of the rank structure on board.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 12:49 pm

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Not sure where you got your numbers from but the proposals Ive heard are going to 10 crew on 787/A330 (both currently have 12 crew) and 14 on the 747. (so inline with BA and other western 747/330/787 operators)

Do they really need 3 onboard managers on an aircraft the size of an A330 or 787? To put it into perspective airlines like Qantas have 2 onboard managers on an A380.

I believe the FSM and remaining supervisor will actually be written into parts of the new service also.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 10:14 pm

I cant speak for all aircraft types but certainly in the case of a mid J BA 744 with 335 seats I wouldnt call it "bringing into line with other western operators" when VS 744s have 367 or 455 seats!
Old Sep 18, 2015, 1:24 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by saintby
I cant speak for all aircraft types but certainly in the case of a mid J BA 744 with 335 seats I wouldnt call it "bringing into line with other western operators" when VS 744s have 367 or 455 seats!
Lets not forget BA have 4 classes on their 747 and generally in a more premium heavy config that VS so that adds complexity... ie the more Y seats such as charter or on a VS leisure 747 the more people you can serve with less crew.

Let me use Air NZ as an example - an airline that has the same seats as VS and a similar 3 class set up.

When they had the 747 they had 381 pax and 14 crew.
On their 787-9's they have 302 passengers and 10 crew. VS currently have 264 pax on their 787's and 12 crew... the proposal is to bring that down to 10.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 11:48 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I got a really good deal to try out PE eastbound and Air France Premium Voyageur westbound; I'm flying over in three weeks DCA-ATL-LHR (A330-300 on the TATL portion); DUB-CDG-JFK-DCA, with the TATL portion on the A380.

What is the alcohol service like in PE? I notice that you get a PDB champagne and a post-dinner cordial. Does the crew have a couple of watering runs before dinner? After dinner (i.e., 2-3 hours from the UK), will they serve you at your seat, or do you have to go to the back of the plane?

I'll put up a trip report after I get back (this is my annual sports trip to the UK, with racing at Exeter and at Leopardstown the big days out).
Old Feb 2, 2016, 10:36 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
On the short overnight TATL eastbound runs like the one you will be on, the emphasis is on getting pax fed, watered and off to sleep.

If you are on the VS metal flight, it departs about 6pm IIRC, so there will be sparkling wine (not champagne) prior to departure, a drinks service as soon as you level out and drinks with your meal.

The crew will do OJ / water runs during the night, but the vast majority of pax will have put their watches to UK time and will be sleeping; so if you want more alcohol you would have to ask for it.

Breakfast is served a couple of hours out of LHR.

Nick

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.