Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Clarity on current policy for Cancelling Reward flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2015, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, VX Gold, VS Gold, HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold

Hi
Can't seem to find a consistent answer. Understand if I book a reward flight, I can get a full refund (miles and fees) if I cancel within 24hrs of booking, but what is the current policy thereafter.

Fare rules state 75% miles if >7 days, no miles <7 days:
"NOTE - Miles will not be refunded in the event of no-show. Waiver - for death of pax or immediate family member as evidenced by a death certificate keep the original fare and rebook as required. 75 percent of miles will be credited for cancellations made at least 7 days prior to departure of the outbound flight.For cancellations within 7 days of departure no miles will be refunded and no fee will be charged. Refunds are not permitted outside the period of validity of the ticket in accordance with iata general conditions of carriage after departure ticket is non-refundable in case of no-show."

FC T&Cs state 100% miles if> 24 hrs, no miles <24hrs:

"4.2.1 Once reward tickets are issued, you may amend your travel date, route or class of service prior to travel for an amendment fee of £30 for changes to international flights originating in the UK, US$50 for changes to international flights originating in the US or local currency equivalent of US$50 for changes to flights originating in any other region. Changes to domestic flights within the UK can be made for an amendment fee of £15. Where the reward is a companion ticket and the person travelling on the paying ticket changes his or her flight or class of travel, the companion ticket may be similarly amended for the same amendment fees, subject to availability of seats and the provisions of section 4.4 of these Flying Club Terms.
Once tickets for a Reward Booking are issued, no name changes are allowed. If for any reason a flight Reward is cancelled by the Member outside 24 hours of departure, 100% of the Miles will be re-credited to the Member’s account. A cancellation fee of £30 for changes to flights originating in the UK, US$50 for changes to flights originating in the US or local currency equivalent of US$50 for changes to flights originating in any other region will apply

If for any reason a flight Reward is cancelled by a member 24 hours prior departure, no Miles will be refunded and a £30 administration fee will be charged to process the refund of any taxes, charges/sur-charges. Once travel has commenced Miles cannot be refunded. Except as expressly stated in these Flying Club Terms, Miles are not refundable and changes or revalidation are not permitted in case of no-show."

Can anyone confirm the correct policy??
Old Jun 28, 2015, 5:56 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
You can get a refund of miles and fees, except for $50, if you cancel more than 24 hours prior. My (one time) experience in canceling matches this.

I've seen that fare rule language and have been told it is for no-shows and death waivers, although the language is vague.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.