Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin Black Credit Card

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2015, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Virgin Black Credit Card

Hello,
Apologies for not being able to answer this question through the thread, VA T&Cs or chat line.

The reward voucher states it is applicable to 1 pax paying the full fare in the relevant class. My question:

1) Can that full fare be paid in FC points or does it have to be full cash?
2) Can the voucher be used for a one way?
3) The upgrade vouchers are only for PE? Could I then use miles to upgrade from PE to UC? In jump from E to PE in a voucher and mile the rest? I.e. return LHR - JNB would = 30k pp in miles rather than 60k?
4) What I really want to do is go one way on BA and one way on Virgin so I can use both FC and Avios. Theoretically possible but in reality a nightmare to arrange?

Cheers,
Old Jun 19, 2015, 12:35 am

Programs: BMI
Virgin Black Credit Card

Hi

Full fare means full revenue fare I'm afraid, it's a very expensive ticket and is sometimes twice the price of two discounting tickets

I guess you probably can do one way but you'll have to buy a full flex one way ticket which may be more expensive than a return

The upgrade is just to PE from an economy reward

I've mixed and matched one ways with vs and ba before but best done on full reward tickets in my view ie using just miles to pay rather than upgrades or vouchers

Jon
Old Jun 19, 2015, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Thanks Jon - super helpful.

If I did use the upgrade voucher for return PE then I could theoretically still upgrade with points later no? Is does that disqualify you from upgrade?

I agree that the companion vouchers have to be treated with extreme caution.

Pure points looks like the way to go!
Old Jun 19, 2015, 6:16 am
pol

No you can't upgrade from a premium upgrade voucher into Upper class either with miles or money. If you use that voucher you're stuck in PE.
Flying club usually allow you to use one voucher to upgrade two people on a one way flight though if you wanted to do the one way with Virgin in PE.
I have booked one way on miles with Virgin and one way with miles on BA before, no problems at all.
As already stated to use the reward flight voucher you have to buy a fare in the qualifying class, makes them next to useless unless you're flying economy or PE at VERY peak times.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Thanks.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
The companion voucher is doubly useless as, not only do you need to pay a flexible fare, there needs to be award availability for the same cabin. This rules out a 2-for-1 at peak times and you are left basically with taking somebody along on a business trip where somebody else is paying for the expensive ticket. (as mentioned, it's usually cheaper to just buy two discounted fares)
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Ha. Typical Branson overhype!! Avoid seems to be a better a better and more flexible system in many ways.

I think i've found a way to make it work effectively but only on a one-way and ex LHR departure. My worry is that these schemes are screwing a lot of people over who don't consider all those additional costs - my Mum included! Guess they should read the small print .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.