Upgrade Maths

Old May 18, 2015, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Upgrade Maths

Hi All, I just want to check my maths are correct, I know that the UC upgrade seats are limited so I need to get in early.

Buy 2 x economy seats to Cuba (or maybe Cancun) in any of these classes Y,B,R,L,U,M and then it will be 25,000 air miles each to upgrade to UC (50,000 total)

Can I then add a chauffeur service for 17,500 each way (35,000 total)

Giving a total air miles of 85,000

much appreciated
Old May 18, 2015, 10:49 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Welcome to Flyertalk.

I can't see any fault with your upgrade maths.

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/gb/en...d-flights.html

The maths for the CDC look correct as well, but I have never used this, so can't really comment.

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/gb/en...d-flights.html

You are right that upgrade seats are limited, but it isn't always as simple as getting in early. The formula for the release of reward seats is a dark art and you should be prepared to be flexible on dates if you want to get two UC seats on one flight. Rewrad seats can be released any time from the date of release of the flights at the 330 day mark, right up until just before the flight.

This is particularly true of the LGW 747s on the leisure routes, as there are only 14 UC suites available.

I don't want to sound negative, merely realistic - Good Luck and please let us know if you are successful.

Nick
Old May 18, 2015, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
That would be correct on the basis that you wanted to upgrade one leg only from Y to UC.

The miles listed in the table for upgrades are one-way figures.
Old May 18, 2015, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
......The miles listed in the table for upgrades are one-way figures.
^^ Thanks

Nick
Old May 18, 2015, 5:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Also, something else to note based on recent experience: Upgrade availability is often opened up one seat at a time. I've seen this twice now for flights I've booked within the last 60 days. When I called to upgrade, they mentioned that I got the only seat available for upgrade, even though the cabin was wide open.

So then the choice for you might be to grab the only upgrade and hope that more seats open up closer to flight time.
Old May 20, 2015, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks All, Now I realise that I would actually need 135000 air miles for both legs! ........ maybe ill continue to save and drop the chauffeur service!

If I booked One Leg in UC and the other in PE can I upgrade from PE to UC with miles at a later date if they become available?
Old May 20, 2015, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by tomhlewis
.......If I booked One Leg in UC and the other in PE can I upgrade from PE to UC with miles at a later date if they become available?
Yes, subject to availability.

CDC's are often not viewed as a good value use of points anyway.

Nick
Old May 24, 2015, 3:00 am

Programs: BMI
Upgrade Maths

Yes although I would query whether the chauffeur is value for money. If you're awash with miles then fine but you can still use the drive in check in with a normal taxi. It may be better value than using the miles (which I would say is worth about 175 pounds)

Don't forget you also earn miles for your revenue tickets and this the net cost of miles is lower

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.