Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Champagne on 787?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2015, 2:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
No Champagne on 787?

I just watched a video trip report on youtube and the menu shown in the video actually said that champagne is not available on the 787.

Is this really the case?

Any reason why VS decided not to serve champagne on the 787?
Old Apr 19, 2015, 2:52 am

Programs: Skyteam Elite+, VS Red, HHonours Diamond, Accor Plat
They swapped the Champagne for an English sparkling wine. Here's the advertising blurb on VS's site.

To accompany Lorraine’s amazing food and making a special appearance on board for the first time is Virgin Atlantic’s new sparkling wine from English winery Hambledon Vineyard. Proudly grown and produced in Hampshire, Meon Hill Grand Reserve has been specifically selected to compliment the cabin pressure and humidity of the 787 cabin and has been found to stay bubbly for longer. The new sparkling wine will be launched on Birthday Girl and will be available exclusively on the 787 aircraft.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 2:53 am

Programs: VS Au, Skywards Au, BA Exec Ag, HH Diamond, Taj Au
It is a tragedy
Old Apr 19, 2015, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
What trip report is this? Can you provide a link?

I've not seen anyone mention this in any of the v-flyer TRs relating to the 787 and I'm sure it would have been - they like their champers almost as much as FT BA posters!
Old Apr 19, 2015, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
What trip report is this? Can you provide a link?

I've not seen anyone mention this in any of the v-flyer TRs relating to the 787 and I'm sure it would have been - they like their champers almost as much as FT BA posters!
It is true, allegedly it's a 'special' for the 787. Now I'm not knocking English sparkling wine, but the one onboard isn't champagne standard.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 1MM,, AA Exec Plat. Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
This includes UC?
Old Apr 19, 2015, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Do bear in mind that English sparkling wines are consistently beating French champagnes in blind tastings and are frequently more expensive.

Just because it's called Champagne doesn't mean it's good....
Old Apr 19, 2015, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I have drunk Meon Hill under its former ownership (and confirmed it was sold last year) and it was lovely. Proper lush.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I have drunk Meon Hill under its former ownership (and confirmed it was sold last year) and it was lovely. Proper lush.
Morning,

The Meonhill vineyard is situated on my father's farm, just south of Winchester. Whilst I wouldn't call it "proper lush" I can assure you that it's of at least as good quality as, say, Pol Roger NV. (the vineyard currently only produces NV).

The biggest issue with Champagne and other sparkling Methode traditionelle wines is the length of time they're on lees during the second fermentation. This is what gives them the autolytical taste (yeasty), and it's what most buyers look for. The requirement for Champagne is a minimum of 18 months on lees. I believe that the current Meonhill is the 2010/2011 blend (there was no harvest in 2012). so you're looking at 3/4 years on lees.

My father sold his 50% share because, at 80 he felt that he needed to concentrate on his other, more long term businesses. The purchaser was a local vineyard.

As for the champagne label, well I'm not sure that a vinery that makes say 2,500,000 bottles a year (Moet & Chandon), whilst producing consistency, will give you anything memorable.
Old May 14, 2015, 11:57 am

Programs: KrisFlyer, AA, Qantas, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by slinky09
It is true, allegedly it's a 'special' for the 787. Now I'm not knocking English sparkling wine, but the one onboard isn't champagne standard.
I don't understand why this only affects the 787?
Old May 14, 2015, 11:15 pm

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by jubbing
I don't understand why this only affects the 787?
Apparently the sparkling wine works better with the different pressurisation or something
Old May 15, 2015, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by ANstar
Apparently the sparkling wine works better with the different pressurisation or something
Translated from bean counter speak that means "it's cheaper"
Old May 15, 2015, 12:18 pm

Meonhill only produces circa 12,000 bottles of wine each year, they aren't being enough to supply all of Virgin's flights.
Old May 15, 2015, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by slinky09
Translated from bean counter speak that means "it's cheaper"
It's not, I can assure you.
Old May 18, 2015, 1:28 pm

Was it still Lanson on board? Pretty vile itself.

Used to be LP, much more acceptable!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.