JFK -> LHR: What is "snooze zone?"

Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Question JFK -> LHR: What is "snooze zone?"

I am selecting my seats for an upcoming flight that my sister very generously booked me into upper class for. There is a lower deck and an upper deck. The upper deck is designated as a "snooze zone." I searched the VA site and cannot find what that means. Does that mean that it is lights out after take-off, with no meal service?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Yes it is essentially that. If you want to eat you would be expected to go and sit at the bar.

see here on the VS site

Note the zone location varies depending on the plane (except the A330 when there isn't one). They are marked on the VS seat map pages

BTW the upper deck is shared with Y passengers who do receive their normal meal service so there could be some noise and disturbance from that.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I'm on VS2 out of EWR on an A346 so that flight has snooze zone but I wonder how they keep it quiet. For those that choose to eat isn't there still movement of FAs headed to the galley or bar? Or do they rope off a section to keep people from passing through. I haven't been to the new lounge at Newark but with limited time to eat in the lounge I may just stay up and eat on the flight. I'm assuming it's just a one tray express service for those that choose it on this flight. Anyone been on a Snooze service recently?
Old Jun 20, 2015, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I'm on VS2 out of EWR on an A346 so that flight has snooze zone but I wonder how they keep it quiet. For those that choose to eat isn't there still movement of FAs headed to the galley or bar? Or do they rope off a section to keep people from passing through. I haven't been to the new lounge at Newark but with limited time to eat in the lounge I may just stay up and eat on the flight. I'm assuming it's just a one tray express service for those that choose it on this flight. Anyone been on a Snooze service recently?
My wife and I flew BOS to LHR last week on VS. The flight was a 747 and we were in the snooze zone. We ate the the ClubHouse before the flight and had a VERY nice meal. When we got on the plane (upper deck, first two rows) they took orders for breakfast but did not mention dinner. No problem for us as we just had them turn our seats into beds as soon as we could and slept all flight. I never heard any noise from the people in economy in the back of the upper deck, but we were a long way from them.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 10:26 am

There are curtains right around row 8 or 9, which essentially cuts the cabin roughly in half.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
There are curtains right around row 8 or 9, which essentially cuts the cabin roughly in half.
interesting, but don't crew march up and down the aisles between the curtains?
Old Jun 21, 2015, 8:01 am

Programs: VS Au, Skywards Au, BA Exec Ag, HH Diamond, Taj Au
interesting, but don't crew march up and down the aisles between the curtains?
It's an aeroplane, of course there is some movement but the lights are out in that part of the cabin, the curtains are closed and the rear part of UC is served dinner from the galley behind so the movement is minimized.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 11:40 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
I am booked in UC (FLT# 0020: SFO-LHR) and noticed that there is no snooze zone on the outbound leg. Even though the flight departs 6 PM-ish and the one after it departs 9:30-ish (FLT# 0042), there appears to be no snooze zones on it as well. Neither flight numbers are listed on VX's website. I inquired about this with VX CS and they didn't have an answer. Strange.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

The snooze zones are only on flights from the US East Coast ( where sleeping time is at a premium)

There is no snooze zone on the SFO flights

Regards

TBS
Old Jun 25, 2015, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
I am booked in UC (FLT# 0020: SFO-LHR) and noticed that there is no snooze zone on the outbound leg. Even though the flight departs 6 PM-ish and the one after it departs 9:30-ish (FLT# 0042), there appears to be no snooze zones on it as well. Neither flight numbers are listed on VX's website. I inquired about this with VX CS and they didn't have an answer. Strange.
That will be because VX is Virgin AMERICA and your flight is on V ATLANTIC

There is no snooze zone because there is plenty of time to serve dinner and for people to get a good nights sleep (should they wish to) as well.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:46 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Snooze zone is an area set aside on the short East Coast - LHR routes which can be as short as 5 1/2 hours long so there is not much chance to sleep. People eat in the lounge then sleep on board.

The SFO route is much longer, so there is time for a full dinner service and then bed.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 9:18 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
That will be because VX is Virgin AMERICA and your flight is on V ATLANTIC

There is no snooze zone because there is plenty of time to serve dinner and for people to get a good nights sleep (should they wish to) as well.
My bad!! I still make that mistake of using VX when I intended to write VA from time to time... And vice versa...

But trust that I was looking at VA's website for the airplane diagram of UC while speaking with VA's CS rep...
Old Jun 26, 2015, 9:49 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
My bad!! I still make that mistake of using VX when I intended to write VA from time to time... And vice versa...

But trust that I was looking at VA's website for the airplane diagram of UC while speaking with VA's CS rep...
Sorry! I will say it yet again -

VS = Virgin Atlantic
VX = Virgin America
VA = Virgin Australia.

To confuse it even further VS refer to themselves as VAA on their website, so that is fine too.

Nick
Old Jun 26, 2015, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The seat maps on the VS website are generic and not flight specific.

Seats may be marked on the seat maps as being snooze zone but that only applies if it a snooze zone flight and yours isn't

There is no snooze zone marked on the 787 or 330 seat maps for example yet they both operate on snooze zone routes

It's not helped that on the old seat map pages there was a list of which specific flights operated snooze zones but the new ones don't
Old Jul 17, 2015, 8:00 am

Programs: DL DM PM
I'll be taking my first VS TATL this Fall and have opted for the Snooze Zone. Is it possible to watch the AVOD from the sleep position (on the 346)? Does one need help from the FA to get back from the sleep position to the sitting position in the morning?

On the way back I'm on the 333. It looks awfully cramped. I selected a K side window. Are the glass partitions really see-through? Is one disturbed by the TV light from neighboring cubicles?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.