Virgin credit card upgrade voucher

Old May 9, 2015, 7:33 pm

they appear as "VAA Credit Card Econ>Premium Reward Upgrade" and they are posted on 13th month. i got mine on anniversary+1month, which means in fact when the statement containing the renewal fee was produced.
Old May 10, 2015, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Virgin credit card upgrade voucher

Just to give everyone some info. I cancelled my card after 9 month prepared to not get the upgrade vouchers. But they posted last week on my virgin account.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 7:38 am

Exclamation Virgin CC upgrade Voucher?

I am a new member to this forum and have just seen a post about upgrade vouchers on virgin. I have had a Virgin CC for around 7 years and have not heard of this before. Could someone fill me in as to how I would qualify for one of these please.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Tich
I am a new member to this forum and have just seen a post about upgrade vouchers on virgin. I have had a Virgin CC for around 7 years and have not heard of this before. Could someone fill me in as to how I would qualify for one of these please.

Do you have a Virgin ATLANTIC card (AMEX & Visa) provided by MBNA or a Virgin MONEY one?

Different products with different rules.

If it was a V Atlantic card then you need to his a spend threshold to earn the voucher.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 9:19 am

Way to get upgrade voucher and cancel?

Has anyone worked out if you can get your upgrade vouchers on anniversary and manage to cancel and avoid the next year's fee? Sounds like someone cancelled before the anniversary and still got the upgrade?
Old Feb 11, 2017, 1:32 pm

i cancelled at 11 month and got both my vouchers
Old Feb 27, 2017, 8:09 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
As I understand it you can wait until after your anniversary and then cancel during the first month of your new year even if your renewal fee hits your statement as long as you do not use the cards after the anniversary date. Assuming you check online you will be able to see when the voucher gets allocated to your VS account, it should a maximum of 30 days after your year end but is often quicker.

This is second hand information read on FT and on HFP but I am confident in its authenticity as I have seen/read it many times from people whose opinion I value based on previous comments.

I am 10 months into my VS black and only today heard back from MBNA confirming my calculations that I have spent over Ł10,000 on the Amex card (visa spend does not count of course). I will not use either card again and pay off the outstanding balance on this statement run (month 10) ensuring I can contact them in April/May just after my voucher (and renewal fee) hits.

Months 11 and 12 wont have any charges made to either card and whilst this is not strictly necessary in the context of "cancelling and getting the voucher" I have flipped my spend to BA chasing another 241 there.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:38 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: Lowly BAEC Bronze, VS, IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Wondering if anyone else has any anecdotal evidence of whether the vouchers will still hit if you cancel the card within the first year? I am about to hit Ł10k spend. My card year end is March 2018. I'm keen to cancel now rather than wait it out and cancel after the vouchers hit, so wondering if anyone has done this? One post above suggests the vouchers will still appear, but that's not a massive sample size!
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:43 am
MKB

To answer the previous poster:

When I called MBNA two weeks before my first anniversary with a request to cancel, the agent advised me that the upgrade vouchers would not post if I cancelled at that point.

He was very helpful and diarised an action for himself to check when my vouchers had posted and then to close my account. Which all happened, exactly as he promised.

I was offered 5000 points to keep the account open, but declined.

I was warned not to use my account between the anniversary and the cancellation, and, to my horror, an IHG charge went through to the Virgin card (when I'd actually got a BA Amex set up against that IHG travel profile -- there appears to be a bug with IHG's software where it can "remember" a previous card.) MBNA were understanding, and reversed the annual fee that got applied as a result.
rhivolution likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 2:49 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: Lowly BAEC Bronze, VS, IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hotels.com Gold
That's very helpful. Thank you!
Old Oct 15, 2017, 3:10 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
I cancelled my black card in March 2017, 2 months before the 2nd anniversary in May. I'd spent over Ł10,000 during the previous 10 months and the PE upgrades dropped into my account in May.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:22 am

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
How long are the upgrade vouchers valid for when issued?
Old Oct 20, 2017, 2:49 am

Programs: VS Gold
They are valid for 12 months. That is to say you have 12 months to redeem them, the flight itself doesn't have to be 12 months. If that makes sense
Old Oct 20, 2017, 6:53 am

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
So twelve months to plan a redemption, then another twelve to take the flight(s). Got it - thanks!
Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: VS Gold
Yup, that's it
memesweeper likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.