Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Fee to cancel award booking in the event of schedule change?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum

My wife had an award booking with Virgin Atlantic - flight is in November.

The departure time was pushed out by 30 minutes. She decided to cancel the booking. Virgin refunded all the miles but did not make a full refund of the taxes and fees. The phone agent said that there would be a charge of £30, which my wife did not question.

Is this correct? I thought that the airline would make a full refund if a passenger cancelled because of a schedule change.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
4.2.1 says all miles will be refunded and there will be a £30 admin fee. It's less clear on the fees and taxes etc.

Are VS retaining the fuel surcharge element and only refunding the airport fees and government taxes?

Though to me cancelling because of a 30 minutes schedule change does seem to be a little rash though - given the extra costs involved.

A 30 minute change would be in the 'minor' change category. Some airlines will only refund if the change is more than 2 hours or if it makes other travel arrangements impossible to continue - eg if arriving 30 minutes later means you miss an onward connection booked on the same ticket.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Got a similar situation. Had a schedule change by 55 mins. May not sound like much but this results in two misconnects for me. One while arriving in LHR and one from LAX. Wanted to move flight to SFO but they want to charge me for this.

Has anyone had any luck with getting a change of city due to a minor schedule change.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I take it the connections are on separate bookings?

I've not heard of VS allowing a free city swap when the flight time has changed by less than 2 hours and iirc they normally apply a 5 hour criteria

You could try calling again and speaking to a different agent.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I take it the connections are on separate bookings?

I've not heard of VS allowing a free city swap when the flight time has changed by less than 2 hours and iirc they normally apply a 5 hour criteria

You could try calling again and speaking to a different agent.
Yes it is. Its a VS award so could not get the connections on the same PNR. I will call back and see if they will just cancel it.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 11:50 pm

Programs: VS Au, Skywards Au, BA Exec Ag, HH Diamond, Taj Au
If there is reward availability on another flight you should be able to change for a fee, I think it's £25. Call VS and ask.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slinky09
If there is reward availability on another flight you should be able to change for a fee, I think it's £25. Call VS and ask.
Yeah thats what the guy was selling me. I know its not much but due to the misconnect it will cost me another $400 to rebook the other two flights so would rather just cancel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.