Search

Virgin & BA Baggage Handover in LHR

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2014, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold
Virgin & BA Baggage Handover in LHR

Hi All,

I have a flight from Shanghai to Heathrow with Virgin and looking to book a flight with BA to get me from Heathrow to Leeds (and back again).

I will have at least two large suitcases, will I be able to get them transferred to the second flight, or will I need to collect them and re-check-in for the second flights?

Thanks
Old Sep 11, 2014, 2:57 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
If it's booked as a single ticket by Virgin then the agent at PVG will 99% likely be able to tag the back to Leeds and you won't see it until the baggage reclaim there.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:13 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
To expand on the above, if it is booked on one ticket then the agent should interline the bags.
If you book on separate tickets, the agent will likely refuse to interline and so you will need to collect and recheck at LHR.

Also if on separate tickets you are taking the risk of misconnecting due to an inbound delay.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier 1K, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry
No.

By your wording you've already purchased the Virgin flight. Unless the BA flight is on the same ticket they will not interline it.

You'll have to collect them and re-check them for the second flights. This means give yourself at least 2 hours time going and coming to make it through Heathrow.

Steve

Originally Posted by jmeselby
Hi All,

I have a flight from Shanghai to Heathrow with Virgin and looking to book a flight with BA to get me from Heathrow to Leeds (and back again).

I will have at least two large suitcases, will I be able to get them transferred to the second flight, or will I need to collect them and re-check-in for the second flights?

Thanks
Old Sep 11, 2014, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, I was never offered BA flights when booking the flight, only Little Red to Manchester, can I ring up and add BA flights to the Virgin ticket?

If the flight times were convenient I may have considered getting the train or a lift to Manchester and taking Little Red, but they're not at all convenient.

The flight I have found with BA departs LHR exactly 2 hours after the scheduled landing of the Virgin flight from Shanghai. It's the last flight of the day, so no choice to choose a later one to reduce risk (and I'd rather not anyway).

On the return flight the BA flight arrives into LHR 5 hours before my Vigrin flight back to Shanghai, so plenty of time to collect baggage and enjoy the upper class lounge!

Would appreciate advice on whether it is possible to add these BA flights to the Virgin ticket though, as I believe someone has indirectly suggested?

Thanks
Old Sep 12, 2014, 12:58 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by jmeselby
Thanks for the replies, I was never offered BA flights when booking the flight, only Little Red to Manchester, can I ring up and add BA flights to the Virgin ticket?

Would appreciate advice on whether it is possible to add these BA flights to the Virgin ticket though, as I believe someone has indirectly suggested?

Thanks
I doubt Virgin will change your ticket to include a BA domestic flight. You can call to ask (assuming you booked directly through Virgin) but you would need to pay any applicable change fee on your current ticket, plus the BA flight cost, and if you haven't flown any segments yet it will be repriced.

If you had booked through an travel agent (online or otherwise) you could have included the BA domestic segment.

I think your only option will be to book separately and take the risk of misconnecting. Worst case is you are delayed and can't make the BA flight, losing that whole ticket and needing to buy a new fare (or train).
See here for a recent example of what can happen:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...cal-delay.html
Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Well, for the grand total of £6, I have added virgin red to Manchester and back for both flights. This means we get the International flight baggage allowance all the way and no need to collect baggage and change to Terminal 5 for BA, which sounded like a pain when I researched.

I also believe we will get into the Manchester lounge (I know it is only Servisair but still) as our connecting flight (even though the next day, with a stop over in a LHR hotel) is in UC.

I think it's all worked out very well and thanks for everyone's help, all I need to do now is find the best way to get 6 x 32kg suitcases and ourselves to Manchester airport.......
Old Sep 19, 2014, 5:08 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Good work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.