Wiki Posts
Search

Little Red baggage on Y->UC miles upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2014, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BD (in memoriam), BA
Little Red baggage on Y->UC miles upgrade

I'm looking to book EDI to HKG in UC, and the most economical way for my dates seems to be booking in M and upgrading with miles.

When I spoke to someone in the call centre earlier, he said that the UC baggage allowance wouldn't carry over to the Little Red sectors from/to EDI. But the website says

If you’re connecting to a Virgin Atlantic longhaul flight, Premium Economy passengers can bring an extra bag of up to 23kg. Upper Class passengers can bring three bags of up to 32kg.
Is this an oddity caused by the underlying booking being economy, or was the guy on the phone just getting it wrong?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:05 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Hang up and try again.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:41 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Virgin's awful IT system has always had problems with upgraded tickets. It has been a long standing problem getting points awarded for the purchased class when you later upgrade with miles.

With that in mind, it would come as absolutely no surprise that the system would still think that your upgraded ticket is M class - but that is just a guess on my behalf.

Nick
Old Jul 25, 2014, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Are these flights on one ticket or two separate ones?

If the former then the UC allowance should feed through.

If the latter then it won't.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD (in memoriam), BA
Well, my confirmation email has come through with the following baggage allowance:

The following baggage fees may apply for each sector between:
EDI - HKG

First Checked-In bag fee: FREE
Maximum checked-in bag weight: UP TO 70 LB/32 KG
Dimensions must not exceed:
(LI is linear inches, LCM is linear centimetres. Linear is the total sum of the length, height, and width of a piece of luggage) UP TO 81 LI/208 LCM
Second Checked-In bag fee: FREE
Maximum checked-in bag weight: UP TO 70 LB/32 KG
Dimensions must not exceed:
(LI is linear inches, LCM is linear centimetres. Linear is the total sum of the length, height, and width of a piece of luggage) UP TO 81 LI/208 LCM
So all appears to be good. Thanks for the replies.

Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc
Hang up and try again.
As a bmi veteran, HUACA is a method dear to my heart Ironically, when I phoned back this afternoon I got the same guy...
Old Jul 28, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: Virgin Atlantic, Amex Plat
I've done exactly what you have (M upgraded to G with miles with MAN-LHR-MAN LR connecting flights) and been told by three separate CS people that the baggage allowance carries over, sure you'll be fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.