Google Glass

Old Feb 11, 14, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Google Glass

So for some strange reason I was thinking about Google Glasses last night on the way home, thinking how they would be used in the world. My only thought was Richard Branson, well Virgin.

I was a little surprised, this morning, reading the papers I saw a small article.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...ot-scheme.html

http://voices.mydesert.com/2014/02/1...-smartwatches/

I am not sure the glasses are really her style, however I can see the advantage of the information.
Old Feb 11, 14, 12:22 pm

Programs: Lost all status due to flying less to tackle the climate emergency
I think I would rather be greeted as 'sir', than by someone wearing Google glass.
Old Feb 11, 14, 1:04 pm

Programs: VX Silver, UA Silver, AA Gold
It's actually pretty cool all the integrations they have. I believe it ties directly into various CRM and ERP systems such as Salesforce so they can look up your account and see any notes on your file (both good and bad, I suppose).

Fun to see how Branson never just settles and is always looking to disrupt customer service on his airlines.
Old Feb 11, 14, 3:22 pm

Ugh, I'm more than happy just being called "sir."

I love to see airlines incorporate new technology, but this is one I do not want!
Old Feb 11, 14, 4:39 pm

I still think we are missing a legal framework for those glasses, after all, they record video and sound without giving any privacy option.

And while they make me uncomfortable as a potential Virgin customer, I guess I can be lucky I am not the employee who has to wear a monitoring device all day at work.
Old Feb 11, 14, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
I had my first encounter with someone wearing GoogleGlass at SFO a few weeks back. It was at the T3E grand opening. I wondered what she was capturing with her GoogleGlass, as I really dislike being captured extraneously in others' pictures. I don't like this invasion of privacy. At least when someone whips out a camera or a phone, I have a bit of time to dodge out of the way...

On the fashion statement that they make: You think they look ridiculous as they are natively? Well, at one point, she had to connect her GoogleGlass to her Android phone with a USB cable. Not sure why, but for the last half of the party, she walked around with the glasses on, the cable hanging from the glasses down the left side of her face, connected to her phone she carried in her hand. I'm no paragon of fashion, but this struck me as something I would not like to wear....

Last edited by USHPNWDLUA; Feb 11, 14 at 5:28 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 11, 14, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA-1P, DL-G, Marriott-PLAT
Originally Posted by USHPNWDLUA View Post
I had my first encounter with someone wearing GoogleGlass at SFO a few weeks back. It was at the T3E grand opening. I wondered what she was capturing with her GoogleGlass, as I really dislike being captured extraneously in others' pictures. I don't like this invasion of privacy. At least when someone whips out a camera or a phone, I have a bit of time to dodge out of the way...
They'll probably start selling the anti-google glass - it would blur out a person's face when a picture is taken.
Old Feb 11, 14, 8:06 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG75K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by MtlChris View Post
I still think we are missing a legal framework for those glasses, after all, they record video and sound without giving any privacy option.

And while they make me uncomfortable as a potential Virgin customer, I guess I can be lucky I am not the employee who has to wear a monitoring device all day at work.
This.

I will require that anyone approaching me with them to take them off. They are a gross invasion of my space and my privacy. that we have reached this in the world.
Old Feb 11, 14, 8:39 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by alecbarron View Post
Ugh, I'm more than happy just being called "sir."

I love to see airlines incorporate new technology, but this is one I do not want!
Originally Posted by MtlChris View Post

Originally Posted by USHPNWDLUA View Post

On the fashion statement that they make: You think they look ridiculous as they are natively? Well, at one point, she had to connect her GoogleGlass to her Android phone with a USB cable. Not sure why, but for the last half of the party, she walked around with the glasses on, the cable hanging from the glasses down the left side of her face, connected to her phone she carried in her hand. I'm no paragon of fashion, but this struck me as something I would not like to wear....
Originally Posted by BOB W View Post
This.

I will require that anyone approaching me with them to take them off. They are a gross invasion of my space and my privacy. that we have reached this in the world.
I'd like to thank each of you for saying what you said here so I don't have to say it. This invasion of privacy is beyond creepy and I'm amazed that so many people seem to have no objections to it.
Old Feb 11, 14, 11:52 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue (Platinum); AA (Executive Plat); BAEC (Silver), SPG (Platinum); Hilton (Diamond)
I'm sorry, maybe I missed it, but what invasion of "privacy" is everyone referring to? I thought the article was about using Google Glass in a completely public space...an area where you have absolutely no right to or expectation of privacy. In fact, I can't think of a LESS private place than an airport or airplane. We're talking about an area where every single item you hold has been scanned and where often your whole body has been imaged to ensure "safety". Certainly you can't all be under any delusion that every single move you make in an airport isn't already recorded by any number of camera's in airport terminals.
Old Feb 12, 14, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by ocdb8r View Post
I'm sorry, maybe I missed it, but what invasion of "privacy" is everyone referring to? I thought the article was about using Google Glass in a completely public space...an area where you have absolutely no right to or expectation of privacy. In fact, I can't think of a LESS private place than an airport or airplane. We're talking about an area where every single item you hold has been scanned and where often your whole body has been imaged to ensure "safety". Certainly you can't all be under any delusion that every single move you make in an airport isn't already recorded by any number of camera's in airport terminals.
Google Glass is not just in private areas. It George Orwell's Big Brother invading every space on the planet. Realize this truth before you defend the invasion of privacy in every space. While your happy arse is letting the entire world see everything you are doing, I am completely happy with that. Let them see your life without your permission.

Personally I have a professional and a private life that I do not want a complete stranger broadcasting over the entire planet. Google has gone completely out of bounds as far as privacy goes and I will fight them and demand that these complete invasions of privacy are stopped.
Old Feb 12, 14, 12:15 am

I thought the article was about using Google Glass in a completely public space

How do you plan to enforce this "fantasy?"
Old Feb 12, 14, 12:28 am

In fact, I can't think of a LESS private place than an airport or airplane.
Google Glass... In a public restroom in an airport. I'm sure you are completely comfortable with that since it is "public"
Old Feb 12, 14, 1:12 am

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Well, I haven't referred to "invasion of privacy." I have only referred to the fact that I don't like being captured in others' photos. I've always felt that way, even back to the time when film was the medium.

Consider that if someone brought a camera into a men's room, you'd not like that s/he started taking photographs. With GoogleGlass, how would you know if your restroom intruder was taking photos or not?
Old Feb 12, 14, 1:59 am

Back in the 90s, I worked at the then-flagship, corporate-owned and operated hotel for Radisson. We beta-tested many different products that vendors were offering to the Corporate Office. It was everything from computer software to new food and beverage products.

One product was system that would display a guest's name when they were carrying their specially encoded room key. We set it up in our Concierge Lounge so the Staff could greet guests by name. Our guests hated it. Many people said they found it creepy to be addressed by name from someone they've never met. It was such a failure that the beta-test was ended several weeks earlier.

Now, 20+ years later, I see that nothing has changed. Being addressed by name by a stranger still is creepy. Just because something can be done using technology doesn't mean it should be done.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: