Wiki Posts
Search

LHR - JFK Advice

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2014, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

LHR - JFK Advice

Hi

Looking at booking a family of 5 to New York next January and need some advice.

I have around 120k miles in my flying club account, a companion voucher and a premium economy upgrade voucher.

Ideally I would like to upgrade our flight out there to upper class but not sure obtaining 5 seats is realistic (20k each person) - anyone have any advice on the best way of going about this? Can I make use of any of the other vouchers I have?

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 6, 2014, 1:47 am

Programs: A variety of Platinums, Golds, Silvers and other fancy metals.
If you have the miles then you should have no problem using your miles to get the 5 Upper Class seats.

The companion voucher I think is only available to use with a full-flexible, ie full price ticket, so forget about that.
The premium economy upgrade voucher is fine to use, but you'll probably not be able to upgrade from to Upper Class from Premium Economy after using it.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Steve Oh
If you have the miles then you should have no problem using your miles to get the 5 Upper Class seats.

The companion voucher I think is only available to use with a full-flexible, ie full price ticket, so forget about that.
The premium economy upgrade voucher is fine to use, but you'll probably not be able to upgrade from to Upper Class from Premium Economy after using it.
Companion voucher is indeed garbage. It will usually cost more to book 1 qualifying fare than 2 restricted fares. (and the companion needs award space as well)

And, no, you can't upgrade from PE to UC after using the upgrade voucher. (which is only good for upgrading award bookings, not cash bookings)

Getting 5 UC award seats on the same flight won't be easy, but it can be done since a quick check finds 5 UC seats on 6 January. (make sure to consider EWR as well) You can consider booking as many tickets as you can find availability for, and then hope for further availability to come along closer to departure. However, you will probably end up paying more for upgradable Y or PE tickets than the absolute cheapest ones, so there's a risk there...

Last edited by craigthemif; Feb 6, 2014 at 2:40 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.