FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-atlantic-airways-flying-club-506/)
-   -   Is SFO Clubhouse closed on days when VS doesn't operate? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-atlantic-airways-flying-club/1544568-sfo-clubhouse-closed-days-when-vs-doesnt-operate.html)

EmoryFlyer Jan 23, 2014 9:37 am

Is SFO Clubhouse closed on days when VS doesn't operate?

This might seem like a silly question...but I'm curious. Flying on Virgin America on Feb. 26th out of SFO. Was going to buy a day pass when I check-in to use the VS Clubhouse. On that particular day, however, it looks like VS doesn't fly SFO-LHR. I assume that means the Clubhouse would be closed? Thought I would ask here. Thanks in advance.

Nottingham Nick Jan 23, 2014 11:49 am

Virgin Atlantic have always operated a seven day schedule out of SFO to London - as far as I know, there are no plans for this to change.

If you have checked the VS website and it says 'no flights' - this is a long standing website 'hiccup' - what it actually means is 'no seats available on this flight'.

They have been told about this many times, but have chosen not to change the wording.

Nick

EmoryFlyer Jan 23, 2014 12:00 pm

Interesting - thank you for the info

UKtravelbear Jan 23, 2014 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Nottingham Nick (Post 22208752)
Virgin Atlantic have always operated a seven day schedule out of SFO to London - as far as I know, there are no plans for this to change.

If you have checked the VS website and it says 'no flights' - this is a long standing website 'hiccup' - what it actually means is 'no seats available on this flight'.

They have been told about this many times, but have chosen not to change the wording.

Nick

Nick - It is listed as not operating on the 26th Feb on the 'flight schedule' tool on the website

Also appears not to be operating on Tues 4th Feb, Tues 11th and Tues 18th Feb so obviously planned.

Mind that does not answer the OPs question about the CH. Might be one where best they contact VS directly.

Nottingham Nick Jan 23, 2014 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 22209021)
Nick - It is listed as not operating on the 26th Feb on the 'flight schedule' tool on the website..........

Thanks for the info - I wasn't aware of this. Not sure it is a good sign, as I assume they have gone down to six days due to projected light loads in Feb. :td:

Nick

Steve Oh Jan 23, 2014 5:07 pm

So I presume the plane flies there, then just chills for a day before flying back?

UKtravelbear Jan 24, 2014 4:53 am

Originally Posted by Steve Oh (Post 22210775)
So I presume the plane flies there, then just chills for a day before flying back?

No the whole rotation has been pulled for those days.

cazoz Jan 24, 2014 5:21 am

I always thought this was one of their stellar routes, with 2 flights on some days. 6 days a week doesn't sound good.

UKtravelbear Jan 24, 2014 6:40 am

Originally Posted by cazoz (Post 22213168)
I always thought this was one of their stellar routes, with 2 flights on some days. 6 days a week doesn't sound good.

It is just temporary. All back to 7 days a week in March.

They do this on a number of routes and are all preplanned well in advance so not some panic measure.

Smid Jan 25, 2014 9:04 am

You can go to the clubhouse in SFO when on Virgin America?

steve64 Jan 25, 2014 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Smid (Post 22219689)

Yes, if you buy a pass.
For the IAD & JFK Club Houses, only First Class & Main Cabin Select ("premium economy") passengers may buy a pass.
For SFO, any Elevate (frequent flyer program) member can buy a pass.

There's an Asian Lounge Dragon at SFO who will pretend to have never heard of the program. After confirming with you that you're not on the LHR flight about 3 times, she'll study the pass carefully then admit you while saying "I don't understand".

UKtravelbear Jan 25, 2014 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Smid (Post 22219689)

yes but limited hours though - looks like they follow the opening times for the VS flights and open / close according to that

http://www.virginamerica.com/vx/sfo-lounge

Smid Feb 4, 2014 7:10 pm

The US TV series 'House of Lies' features the Virgin America lounge a lot. It looks a lot like the clubhouse in SFO (only been there once though) but that might just be that they look similar. They are based in LA, though, they fly all over the country...