Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

(Master Thread) except ANA (NH) using VS points.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 8, 2015, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: geclub1
Flying Club Contact Info

USA +1 800 365 9500

SOUTH AFRICA +27 11 340 3535

HONG KONG +852 2532 6060 9 AM to 6 PM M-F 9 AM to 2 PM Sat

CHINA +86 21 5353 4600

INDIA +1-800-102-3000 ( Toll Free )
+91-124-4693030

CARIBBEAN +1 800 744 7477

Tips to Book Partner Awards:

Delta:

Check af.com for availability.

Virgin Australia:

One-way awards possible
Print Wikipost

(Master Thread) except ANA (NH) using VS points.

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
I'm hoping to find availability on DL metal from SFO to MAD. VS won't even let me search for MAD in their search engine. Any idea how to look for availability? Also, that will be a connection as DL only flies to MAD from ATL & JFK I believe. Any idea if I can add that leg on? Thanks!
Old May 7, 2019, 4:23 pm

Virgin's website is maddening. Sometimes just clicking around and going back and forth between cities works. Sometimes you can select by region then country and get it to come in. Sometimes you can do a search for paid flights then click miles instead.
Old May 8, 2019, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pmfc
I'm hoping to find availability on DL metal from SFO to MAD. VS won't even let me search for MAD in their search engine. Any idea how to look for availability? Also, that will be a connection as DL only flies to MAD from ATL & JFK I believe. Any idea if I can add that leg on? Thanks!
Quite frankly... too many stars would need to align for you to find SFO to MAD on DL. Including a connecting flight will cost you substantially more miles, but DL rarely offer trans-continental award space and I've never seen an ex-ATL award seat. (too many hub captives for DL to need to offer saver award space I'd imagine)

I've had a bit more luck with some ex-LAX direct flights to Continental Europe, and I more regularly see options via DTW or MSP.
pmfc likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 7:10 am

I talked to a couple of Flying Club agents today. Trying to book LAX-SYD on DL 41 in Business class. Both agents said there was availability
on Aug 12 and it priced to 75000 miles + appx $27 in taxes. However after putting the itinerary on hold and looking at the reservation on
the Delta website, it shows Premium Economy not business class. Repeated the exercise for another date and the same result: Virgin
insists its booking "Business Class" but its actually Delta Premium Economy.

Any thoughts or advice?
Old May 31, 2019, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by J_Dub
I think you'd have to get your Skymiles number added to the reservation instead of your Flying Club number, which I don't know if they'll do.

My own recent experience, found VA J seats from LAX to a few different Australian cities that would work for a trip, but the VS agents can't book them, they said it keeps coming back unconfirmed. However, I was able to get them to book 2 DL J seats LAX-SYD for 75K miles per person and about $56. I'm still looking, though, because these flights are about two days earlier than I want to depart. Also, I was hoping to avoid DL because we'll be flying with an infant and they are about the only airline with no bassinets in business class (and they are really a pain to get in Y as well). On the positive side, the planes are all getting upgraded to the new DL suites starting next March or May so it should be a nice J product over all.

J_DUB - see my post. Were you able to verify that those seats were actually business class on Delta? My experience booking LAX-SYD was that the 75000 mile awards turned out to be
premium economy.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 6:20 am

Location: Birmingham, AL (weekdays) and Atlanta, GA (weekends)
Programs: DL Platinum Medallion
Originally Posted by qofmiwok
Virgin's website is maddening. Sometimes just clicking around and going back and forth between cities works. Sometimes you can select by region then country and get it to come in. Sometimes you can do a search for paid flights then click miles instead.
Agreed. I am a fairly intelligent and patient person, and I'm used to doing a bit of extra legwork to get good deals, but VS's website is wildly inconsistent. You say you want to search for flights with miles, and then the command doesn't stick on the next screen. I did the Amex transfer to get the extra miles but have found it challenging so far to use them.

I briefly used ExpertFlyer a few years ago before Delta cut off so much info to them. Does it let you search a range of dates on VS for award seats, or do you have to do it flight by flight?
Old Jun 1, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob/UA Gold
Originally Posted by BostonGuy
I briefly used ExpertFlyer a few years ago before Delta cut off so much info to them. Does it let you search a range of dates on VS for award seats, or do you have to do it flight by flight?
ExpertFlyer Pro lets you search for a 7 day range at a time, on both the outbound and return, or on one-way flights. It's worth the $10/mo in my opinion, especially if you are points & miles obsessed.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 11:59 am

Location: Birmingham, AL (weekdays) and Atlanta, GA (weekends)
Programs: DL Platinum Medallion
Originally Posted by joachimm
ExpertFlyer Pro lets you search for a 7 day range at a time, on both the outbound and return, or on one-way flights. It's worth the $10/mo in my opinion, especially if you are points & miles obsessed.
I just re-joined, but from the sound of it, it doesn't let you search Virgin Atlantic award seats on DL metal. I would love to be wrong.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob/UA Gold
Originally Posted by BostonGuy
I just re-joined, but from the sound of it, it doesn't let you search Virgin Atlantic award seats on DL metal. I would love to be wrong.
EF lets you search for Saver awards, and in general, these are the only awards that partners have access to. So you'd search for DL awards on EF and then call up VS to book a partner award. NB- I've never done this pairing, just AirFrance partner awards on DL metal.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 6:54 pm

Air New Zealand

Does saver award availability on the United website for LAX-AKL on Air New Zealand correlate to similar availability using Flying Club points?
Old Jun 9, 2019, 2:39 pm

Booked VFA - JNB one way in business class on South African's long haul A333 (SA41) for 15,000 miles and 130 GBP. Checked availability via ExpertFlyer before ringing VS and it did match what the agent saw in the system.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 4:18 am

Lucked out with Air New Zealand availability in August. Booked LAX-AKL on NZ 5 (leased aircraft from Eva Air with herringbone layout) in Business Class for 62.5k points. With the 30% bonus on transfer from Citi it worked out to 48k citi points. Insane deal.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by stephem

yeah, bummer they don’t include them, you will have to call to book. But you can use a tool like Expert Flyer to look for the award space. There seemed to be good availability when i looked for the delta routes into and out of Seattle. Not sure if you are trying to get to west coast or east though...
I don't have an expertflyer account, is there a way to still see award space somehow to ICN?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by ravi100
Does saver award availability on the United website for LAX-AKL on Air New Zealand correlate to similar availability using Flying Club points?
To answer my own question, over the last week I've looked at the United website and talked to Virgin Atlantic agents and there seems to be pretty good correlation between the two as far as Air New Zealand availability.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 3:00 pm

Air New Zealand Business Class Availability

I've been tracking NZ business class availability. They currently fly non-stop from AKL to LAX, SFO, IAH and ORD.
FC agents have to actually request award availability for each flight/date and wait for a response. Availability
on United for the 90k mile award seems to track FC availability accurately, so no need to waste time on the phone
with FC agents. I've noticed an interesting pattern:

NZ is releasing seats in J beginning 60 days prior to departure. Typically 2 seats at a time. Only to selected destinations
but they have been doing consistently over the last 10 days for Aug departures. Seats seem to appear early morning
New Zealand time. Enjoy.

Also AKL-ORD for some reason is not seen as a "valid route" by FC agents.
JohnnyP and StingWest like this.

Last edited by ravi100; Jun 23, 2019 at 3:12 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.