Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

(Master Thread) except ANA (NH) using VS points.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 8, 2015, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: geclub1
Flying Club Contact Info

USA +1 800 365 9500

SOUTH AFRICA +27 11 340 3535

HONG KONG +852 2532 6060 9 AM to 6 PM M-F 9 AM to 2 PM Sat

CHINA +86 21 5353 4600

INDIA +1-800-102-3000 ( Toll Free )
+91-124-4693030

CARIBBEAN +1 800 744 7477

Tips to Book Partner Awards:

Delta:

Check af.com for availability.

Virgin Australia:

One-way awards possible
Print Wikipost

(Master Thread) except ANA (NH) using VS points.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2017, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Looks like we can book DL awards on VS website.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:13 pm

have been enjoying these hidden gems for a few years. with online booking now and bloggers, DL will revoke inventory and VS raise prices to match SkyMiles pricing.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:31 am

right on cue
Old Oct 13, 2017, 7:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Colin
have been enjoying these hidden gems for a few years. with online booking now and bloggers, DL will revoke inventory and VS raise prices to match SkyMiles pricing.
Can't think of one hidden gem/trick that gets heavily blogged that continues to work a year down the line. Once people started blogging about VS's credit card churning and taking a trip to Necker Island, BofA implemented churning rules. Pretty soon, you will have Boardingarea writing about pretty much nothing.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by jediwho
Can't think of one hidden gem/trick that gets heavily blogged that continues to work a year down the line. Once people started blogging about VS's credit card churning and taking a trip to Necker Island, BofA implemented churning rules. Pretty soon, you will have Boardingarea writing about pretty much nothing.
Cannot agree more.
Virgin America First was readily available using VS points. It took a merger to kill that one off, since it was under the radar.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 4:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Couldn't find this anywhere, apologies if missed:

A couple months back, I used Flying Club points to redeem for CA F on LHR-PEK for my wife and myself. Travel is in February.

CA has just downgauged the aircraft from a 773 to an A330 without first class. What are my options re: the downgrade? It's outside of 14 days so I don't get anything from EU261, right?
Old Nov 3, 2017, 3:11 am

Programs: some blue some silver some gold
Delta awards

Now Delta awards are available online the taxes/charges seem to align with Virgin, which is a massive increase. Or am I doing something wrong?
Old Nov 13, 2017, 4:21 am

Programs: DL PM; Marriott Plat; Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by dhoward
Now Delta awards are available online the taxes/charges seem to align with Virgin, which is a massive increase. Or am I doing something wrong?
You are not doing anything wrong. This is only true for flights to the UK though. (Admittedly I have only checked LHR.)
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:50 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Just booked a one-way PEK-LHR for 37500 miles and Ł228.60 in fees and surcharges, on Air China in First class. Seems like a good deal to me! I used the UK call centre, agent wasn't very confident when I said what I want, but after 5 min on hold he managed to get it booked.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 10:21 pm

I just try to book one way with Delta CDG - JFK, but wth??? the tax show as $300 per ticket? this is insane, but if I just book from JFK to CDG it only cost $6? anyone know why the tax is so high on the way back?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: All of them, Katie
Originally Posted by newdaybegin
I just try to book one way with Delta CDG - JFK, but wth??? the tax show as $300 per ticket? this is insane, but if I just book from JFK to CDG it only cost $6? anyone know why the tax is so high on the way back?
Departure taxes in Europe are higher than in the US which accounts for some of that. But most is because Delta started adding fuel surcharges to awards that do not originate in the US a while back. If you can book a round trip originating in the US, you shouldn't get the fuel surcharges for the outbound or return.
craigthemif likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by newdaybegin
this is insane
Welcome to British frequent flyer programmes. We've been trained to think that $300 is rather reasonable. And you're paying far fewer miles than you would with Skypesos or some other North American programme.

But, as mentioned, it comes from Delta having mandated surcharges on awards that originate from outside the US.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
SIN-DXB on SQ for 25k + 27.50USD in Y not too bad. Unfortunately, no J seats available.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:46 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
South African

Hey, I've got a fair wad of VS miles now. This time next year I am wanting to hop down to South Africa and probably from Germany.

Anyone have much experience in award availability that SAA give to VS etc etc?
Old Apr 2, 2018, 10:58 am

Trying to use VS to book HA. I can see the space on Expert Flyer and HA's website, but VS is saying they can't see it. Every time I've used VS to book awards it's always a slow process where they have to "request" the space, but this person said they checked 5 days in about 30 seconds, never having asked what cabin I preferred. I'm going to try to call back again shortly, but is the HA process different than other carriers?

Called back and got another rep, who at least seemed to understand the process, who stated HA won't let them send award space requests over at the moment because it's so busy, but I can see award space available on HA's site.
Fitruss likes this.

Last edited by Frindle; Apr 2, 2018 at 11:22 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.