Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

CH entrance limitation in London for SkyTeam Elite+

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2023, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Hi
Really bad news for SkyTeam elite + members departing from LHR, even for DL & AF Plat members : According to VS website, these FF don’t have access to the CH except if flying PE, and are sent to Club Aspire in T3.
Massive devaluation of status, since AF/DL Plat had access before VS joining ST alliance.

Last edited by skyteamflyer75; Jun 14, 2023 at 10:11 am
Old Jun 25, 2023, 5:03 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Just seen this myself! Luckily I'm booked in Premium on my flight in a couple of weeks so will still be able to access the LHR Clubhouse with my partner who is Flying Blue Platinum.

https://flywith.virginatlantic.com/i...clubhouse.html

But agreed, this is a major devaluation and doesn't reflect well for SkyTeam members from other programmes. Not sure why this move was even necessary given that AF/KL had already moved to T4 and there were already certain caveats in place regarding access.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 2:56 pm

Hm, on the Skyteam website, under "Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse London Heathrow", it says access is available for "international First or Business Class ticket holders or SkyTeam Elite Plus Frequent Flyers traveling on an international flight operated by the following airlines: Virgin, Delta & AeroMexico." So according to that statement, anyone with Elite+ status traveling in Y on either three airlines should technically be able to get into the lounge....
Old Jul 8, 2023, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyer94
Hm, on the Skyteam website, under "Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse London Heathrow", it says access is available for "international First or Business Class ticket holders or SkyTeam Elite Plus Frequent Flyers traveling on an international flight operated by the following airlines: Virgin, Delta & AeroMexico." So according to that statement, anyone with Elite+ status traveling in Y on either three airlines should technically be able to get into the lounge....
Your issue here is with the fact that Skyteam doesn't update its website regularly enough...

Originally Posted by Tim_94

But agreed, this is a major devaluation and doesn't reflect well for SkyTeam members from other programmes. Not sure why this move was even necessary given that AF/KL had already moved to T4 and there were already certain caveats in place regarding access.
A major devaluation for something that was only in place for a few months?

The Clubhouse is supposed to be exclusive and having it full of Y passengers with some random status - no loyalty to VS or DL - doesn't help in that regard. Some of those Elite Plus statuses are ridiculously easy to get. Those passengers aren't being excluded from all lounges at T3, just the Clubhouse...

Last edited by craigthemif; Jul 8, 2023 at 6:23 am
Old Jul 14, 2023, 11:35 pm

Programs: VS Flying Club, UA Mileage Plus
Not going to lie, it is a bit infuriating that Flying Blue Platinum members traveling in Premium can access the VS clubhouse but not VS Flying Club silver members traveling in Premium even though arguably silver members have more loyalty to VS
Old Jul 17, 2023, 12:55 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor
Writing this from the LHR clubhouse where I was let in without any issue as KL platinum for my VS flight in Y. Seems the news also hasn't filtered down to the staff at the door yet...
Old Jul 31, 2023, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by dkeng
Writing this from the LHR clubhouse where I was let in without any issue as KL platinum for my VS flight in Y. Seems the news also hasn't filtered down to the staff at the door yet...
Interesting! Unless the rule is actually as follows:
  • Flying Blue Platinum members (in any cabin class) + a guest traveling in premium on Virgin Atlantic or Delta premium
If this is the case, they need to make the wording clearer.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 7:39 am

Virgin Clubhouse access with AF/KL Gold

Hi there,
I am still quite confused over this, and the Head for Points article still confused me.
I have AF/KL Gold (not Platinum) but that therefore makes me SkyTeam Elite Plus.
If I am flying economy in Virgin Atlantic from LHR can I access the clubhouse with my AF/KL Gold?
Reason I am confused is the eligibility explicitly allows AF/KL platinum, and SkyTeam Elite Plus BUT AF/KL Gold IS Skyteam Elite Plus, so why the need to separate these out in the criteria?
Any experiences?
Thanks

https://www.headforpoints.com/2023/0...-access-rules/

Can you get into the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse at Heathrow with SkyTeam status?

Access to passengers with elite status has been equally restricted. You’ll only be able to use the Heathrow Clubhouse if you are:
  • Virgin Flying Club Gold, flying on a Virgin Atlantic, Delta or Aeroméxico flight (including one guest)
  • Delta SkyMiles Diamond or Platinum Medallion, flying on a Virgin Atlantic or Delta flight (including one guest)
  • Air France / KLM Flying Blue Platinum, flying on a Virgin Atlantic or Delta flight (including one guest)
  • Any SkyTeam Elite Plus member, flying on a Virgin Atlantic, Delta or Aeroméxico flight (including one guest)
Old Oct 17, 2023, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
I recently flew SFO-> LHR->SFO on VS and was booked in Economy as both Premium and UC were sold out both ways and this was a last minute trip. When I went to the LHR Clubhouse just to see what they would tell me (I already knew I wasn’t eligible to enter!), they said I could go to the Aspire Lounge (which I had already heard about but never visited). The two agents at the check-in desks at the Clubhouse both said and agreed that the change in the entry requirements were instigated by DL, and not VS! I thought that was somewhat interesting as it’s VS’s Clubhouse and not DL’s, and DL only owns 49% of VS, so the ultimate decision is really down to VS, not DL! I think they were both passing the blame onto DL for the LHR Clubhouse changes which came into effect on 12 June, although VS joined SkyTeam officially on 2 March.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by audidudi
I recently flew SFO-> LHR->SFO on VS and was booked in Economy as both Premium and UC were sold out both ways and this was a last minute trip. When I went to the LHR Clubhouse just to see what they would tell me (I already knew I wasn’t eligible to enter!), they said I could go to the Aspire Lounge (which I had already heard about but never visited). The two agents at the check-in desks at the Clubhouse both said and agreed that the change in the entry requirements were instigated by DL, and not VS! I thought that was somewhat interesting as it’s VS’s Clubhouse and not DL’s, and DL only owns 49% of VS, so the ultimate decision is really down to VS, not DL! I think they were both passing the blame onto DL for the LHR Clubhouse changes which came into effect on 12 June, although VS joined SkyTeam officially on 2 March.
May I ask what status you hold? As a KLM Platinum member who posted above was allowed into the Clubhouse while flying Economy, which made me think the rules may be that only the guest passenger needs to be flying in Premium, not the status holder.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by Tim_94
May I ask what status you hold? As a KLM Platinum member who posted above was allowed into the Clubhouse while flying Economy, which made me think the rules may be that only the guest passenger needs to be flying in Premium, not the status holder.
Like my profile shows on the left side of my posting, I’m a DL Diamond Medallion.

Last edited by audidudi; Oct 17, 2023 at 1:25 pm
Old Oct 18, 2023, 5:50 am

Like my profile shows on the left side of my posting, I’m a DL Diamond Medallion.
Ah ok - I thought that's what 'DM' referred to but wanted to check. Strange that your experience differs with the above KL Platinum member who was allowed in flying Economy, perhaps they made a mistake on one of these occassions?
Old Oct 18, 2023, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador

he two agents at the check-in desks at the Clubhouse both said and agreed that the change in the entry requirements were instigated by DL, and not VS! I thought that was somewhat interesting as it’s VS’s Clubhouse and not DL’s, and DL only owns 49% of VS, so the ultimate decision is really down to VS, not DL! I think they were both passing the blame onto DL for the LHR Clubhouse changes which came into effect on 12 June, although VS joined SkyTeam officially on 2 March.
That DL owns 49% of DL is neither here nor there.

DL pays VS for each DL passenger that uses the CH. Just as KL pays for any of their elites that use it when not flying VS UC etc

If there are capacity issues VS will discuss them with their partners and then basically leave it to the partners to decide which of their elites don;t get access and get sent to one of the commercial lounges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.