FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-atlantic-airways-flying-club-506/)
-   -   (Master Thread) except ANA (NH) using VS points. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-atlantic-airways-flying-club/1536839-master-thread-except-ana-nh-using-vs-points.html)

theboss7593 Jun 25, 2019 9:43 am

Nothing Available within 3 weeks but after that wide open?

Looked at EWR-ATL booking with flying club award operated by DL. Availability between now and 3 weeks from today has nothing. 3 weeks from today and on everyday is available... This was for multiple city pairs. Is there a 21 day minimum booking period to use flying club rewards on DL?

HofstraJet Jun 26, 2019 2:21 pm

So to book I have to call VS? The VS website doesn't show that they fly those routes to AKL.

Thanks!

UKtravelbear Jun 26, 2019 6:29 pm

yes - see the very first thread on how to book partner awards.

seychellesbound Jun 27, 2019 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by theboss7593 (Post 31238075)
Looked at EWR-ATL booking with flying club award operated by DL. Availability between now and 3 weeks from today has nothing. 3 weeks from today and on everyday is available... This was for multiple city pairs. Is there a 21 day minimum booking period to use flying club rewards on DL?

No hard 21 day rule but I am guessing DL is blocking their awards to partners within 21 days of departure. Not a welcome development but that is DL's MO lately.

Guy Betsy Jun 28, 2019 10:17 pm

Has anyone booked anything on Singapore Airlines?

ankomonkey Jun 29, 2019 2:31 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy (Post 31250874)
Has anyone booked anything on Singapore Airlines?

I have SIN-IST booked for early August. I checked availability on UA website and booked it with a short call to VS at first attempt - no need to be put on any waiting lists or for them to go away and check anything. So far, so good...

Guy Betsy Jul 8, 2019 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by ankomonkey (Post 31251224)
I have SIN-IST booked for early August. I checked availability on UA website and booked it with a short call to VS at first attempt - no need to be put on any waiting lists or for them to go away and check anything. So far, so good...

I take it that SIN-IST still on the 777-200ER aircrafts? Since booking anything else long haul other than those and the A330-300 are basically verboten!
What are the taxes like in the end?

ankomonkey Jul 9, 2019 3:00 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy (Post 31283879)
I take it that SIN-IST still on the 777-200ER aircrafts? Since booking anything else long haul other than those and the A330-300 are basically verboten!
What are the taxes like in the end?

Yes, flight is marked as:

SQ392
Boeing 777-200/200ER
Singapore Airlines

Taxes are £28, miles=40k VS in J class. I need to fly this route and this is amazing value in terms of both miles and cash (I'm UK based so used to high YQ). I'll accept it not being SQ's best metal based on the cost and my need to get to IST!

bernard_rieux Jul 22, 2019 6:03 pm

Booked Air NZ J AKL to LAX for mid-September. I was following along NZ availability on Star Alliance (using Aeroplan to search) and the Flying Club availability matched. Agents offered to hold my flight for up to 24h to transfer in points. I checked availability for a few days in a row leading up to the dates in September I wanted and it looked like NZ reliably released J seats 61 days out (e.g. availability for September 1 starting on July 2), except for a couple days where I assume there were/would be paying customers.

wiivile Aug 1, 2019 9:49 am

If cancelling a Delta booking for which the taxes are only $5.60, will they take your credit card to charge the $44.40 ($50 cancel fee minus $5.60 tax refund), or will they let you just cancel the booking by forfeiting the $5.60 taxes?

If changing a Delta booking from economy to business and the taxes are the same ($5.60), will they let you just pay the mileage difference or will they take your credit card to charge you $50?

I ask because some airlines won't take your credit card for a change/cancel fee if there's otherwise no payment needed and/or if you're just paying more miles.

craigthemif Aug 1, 2019 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by wiivile (Post 31367174)
If cancelling a Delta booking for which the taxes are only $5.60, will they take your credit card to charge the $44.40 ($50 cancel fee minus $5.60 tax refund), or will they let you just cancel the booking by forfeiting the $5.60 taxes?

If changing a Delta booking from economy to business and the taxes are the same ($5.60), will they let you just pay the mileage difference or will they take your credit card to charge you $50?

I ask because some airlines won't take your credit card for a change/cancel fee if there's otherwise no payment needed and/or if you're just paying more miles.

You simply forfeit the $5.60 if you cancel.

As for upgrading, you might be charged the fee, unless you're willing to risk cancelling and then rebooking.

wiivile Aug 2, 2019 9:46 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif (Post 31368019)
You simply forfeit the $5.60 if you cancel.

As for upgrading, you might be charged the fee, unless you're willing to risk cancelling and then rebooking.

Interesting, I knew BA was like that but didn't know Virgin too.

i_gtgo Aug 2, 2019 10:28 pm

So I searched for the new JFK-BOM non-stop on DL's website and I see plenty of 'O' class available where the price on the DL website is 135K for a Saver seat (vs 405K on other days). However, a few weeks ago VS used to show these 135K saver seats on their site but no longer do for an entire year now even though DL still shows them. I'm now skeptical any VS agent will be able to see the seats as it's not showing on the AF website either. Anyone have an idea if a VS agent would be able to do a 'longsell'? Or can DL block 'O' class availability to partners?

craigthemif Aug 3, 2019 12:34 am

Originally Posted by wiivile (Post 31371016)
Interesting, I knew BA was like that but didn't know Virgin too.

Wasn't sure myself until I booked and later cancelled a one-way DL reward flight to Europe...

wiivile Aug 5, 2019 11:03 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif (Post 31373455)
Wasn't sure myself until I booked and later cancelled a one-way DL reward flight to Europe...

I wonder if it varies from agent to agent if they want to take a credit card from you to charge the cancellation fee or if they will just waive the remainder of the fee after taking it out of the tax refund. I have asked over the phone about cancelling a $5.60 award and they said it would be $50, but in practice maybe they don't actually collect the fee.