Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Please report experiences of booking Partner Airline except ANA (NH) using VS points.

Please report experiences of booking Partner Airline except ANA (NH) using VS points.

Hide Wikipost
Old May 9, 18, 4:23 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: geclub1
Wiki Link
Flying Club Contact Info

USA +1 800 365 9500

SOUTH AFRICA +27 11 340 3535

HONG KONG +852 2532 6060 9 AM to 6 PM M-F 9 AM to 2 PM Sat

CHINA +86 21 5353 4600

INDIA +1-800-102-3000 ( Toll Free )
+91-124-4693030

CARIBBEAN +1 800 744 7477

Tips to Book Partner Awards:

Delta:

Check af.com for availability.

Virgin Australia:

One-way awards possible
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 18, 18, 5:00 pm

Programs: AS 75K, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Nottingham Nick View Post
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Since VS stopped flying to Australia, I have always used a combination of VS to Hong Kong - a hop over to KL and then Air Asia business class to Oz.
It is far from ideal. Air Asia isn't proper business class by any stretch of the imagination, or even close - but they use seats similar to the old J2000 seats that VS used many years ago - they almost go flat, and I get a good night's sleep on them. The advantage of Air Asia is their price - especially if you wait for one of their fairly frequent sales.

The other option, which also is far from easy, or cheap, may be to go the other way VS to LAX, and then ANZ or even Hawaiian the rest of the way.

Nick
Very hard to find award space on ANZ from LAX to MEL/SYD/AKL. Not sure about Hawaiian.
Old Apr 28, 18, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Virgin's great Air China redemption triples in price on Tue

Quick heads up that the amazing Air China redemption using Flying Club miles is going up a bit - to put it mildly - on 1st May.

Business Class jumps from 63,000 miles return to 135,000 miles return.

First Class jumps from 75,000 miles return to 200,000 miles return.

This is only for Heathrow to Beijing, no other routes or connections are allowed. More here - https://www.headforpoints.com/2018/0...china-beijing/
Old May 10, 18, 9:59 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy gold. hold AA, UA, BA, AMEX, Citi
Hopefully this is a flame-free folder. Looking to use Virgin miles for the first time to book DL flying [xxx]-JFK-ZUR. Delta prices this J award at 70k.

First, when I click on the pin drop at virginatlantic.com, and click on country/region, Switzerland doesn't exist.

Second, the phone agent informed me that [xxx]-JFK isn't bookable by Virgin because it's a RJ, and I assume, not mainline. I've never heard of that. Is that true or just a bad rep?

Thanks
Old Jun 10, 18, 12:29 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Just booked 5 Delta one seats. LAX - AMS, AMS-PDX. 500,000 miles plus $250 in taxes/fees.
geclub1 and Lewis42 like this.
Old Jun 28, 18, 8:18 am

I'm trying to go ATL-ICN and didn't know if anyone has had any luck finding availability in Delta One on the new A350's?
Old Jul 8, 18, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Fairmont Platinum
Do VS not get the same availability as what I see on DL.com? Flight shows 5 award seats available but VS rep could not see them on the day I wanted but could a few days later which also had 5 seats.
Old Jul 10, 18, 4:43 pm

A question for the wise old heads here...

I am looking to fly to Bali next year. Departing from either London or Paris. Via HK or Singapore.
Is this possible on miles? I have a lot and am Virgin Gold member.
Would obviously prefer Singapore First but heard that's virtually impossible from London.
What are my options?

Much appreciated.
Old Jul 11, 18, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by roussell View Post
A question for the wise old heads here...

I am looking to fly to Bali next year. Departing from either London or Paris. Via HK or Singapore.
Is this possible on miles? I have a lot and am Virgin Gold member.
Would obviously prefer Singapore First but heard that's virtually impossible from London.
What are my options?

Much appreciated.
You can only get SQ regional flights through partner points and some long hauls which are not operated by the 77W, A350 and A380. SQ F is only available through SQ points.
Old Jul 11, 18, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA EP, SPG Plat
never mind

Last edited by frudd38; Jul 11, 18 at 11:25 pm
Old Aug 1, 18, 2:24 pm

Just tried to book award on DL. All good when doing 3 adults, however when the tix changed to 2 adults and 1 child the YR fees increased by $1,003 total. This is for Delta One roundtrip flight PDX - AMS. Anyone experience this?
Old Aug 1, 18, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by jacksu620 View Post
Just tried to book award on DL. All good when doing 3 adults, however when the tix changed to 2 adults and 1 child the YR fees increased by $1,003 total. This is for Delta One roundtrip flight PDX - AMS. Anyone experience this?
Is the child an infant in arms? That sounds like you've been charged DL's standard rate of 10% of the full adult cash fare. Which would only apply if you're using DL SkyMiles.

Assuming you are using VS miles, a quick call to VS should sort it out (should be 10k miles r/t plus minimal TFC for an infant on a reward booking).
Old Aug 1, 18, 3:06 pm

No, she was getting her own seat. I called it in and they did it fine no problem. Weird that online it was so much more in fees for a 2 year old vs. an adult.
Old Aug 1, 18, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by jacksu620 View Post
No, she was getting her own seat. I called it in and they did it fine no problem. Weird that online it was so much more in fees for a 2 year old vs. an adult.
Airline IT, what can I say?! I'm glad it worked out. I think I saw this on NH SFO-NRT, using VS miles, when trying to work out whether infant-in-arms in F was better than our son having his own seat in J. So it strikes me as a VS issue, not a partner issue.

Unless it's a no brainer, nowadays I tend to call in for partner reward redemptions. And then - call me nuts - double check with the partner airline just before travel, especially where kids are involved.

In another thread, I mentioned our infant-in-arms booking on NH metal with VS miles had somehow got 'orphaned' (booked on a different date) from the adult booking when I changed the dates of the return leg. It was only in a casual call to NH to confirm seats that this issue was discovered.
Old Aug 2, 18, 12:28 pm

Programs: American, BA
Thought I would relate my dire experience trying to book a partner flight with VS miles Melbourne to NZ over the past few days.

Initially tried to book two economy on Singapore from Melbourne to Wellington - despite seeing availability and holding the seats, they couldn't book because they aren't "allowed" to book SQ reward flights between Oz and NZ. Was promised a call back while they checked what to do, but never got one. When I called two days later, was told they could not book it as it was not allowed, and they cancelled the held booking.

Next up, a few days later, tried to book two economy Melbourne to Auckland on Air NZ. Award seats showed on all Star alliance partners, but Virgin couldn't see the seats. HUCA, they could see seats but only two days earlier, I said to go for those, but they couldn't book due to some system issue. Was promised they would create the booking and that I would get a call back within 30 mins. Never got the call back. When I tried calling again a few hours later, no booking had been made or put on hold, and the award seats had gone by that stage.

HOPELESS.

Last edited by flyerguy68; Aug 3, 18 at 1:01 pm
Old Aug 3, 18, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by flyerguy68 View Post
Thought I would relate my dire experience trying to book a partner flight with VS miles Melbourne to NZ over the past few days.

Initially tried to book two economy on Singapore from Melbourne to Wellington - despite seeing availability and holding the seats, they couldn't book because they aren't "allowed" to book SQ reward flights between Oz and NZ. Was promised a call back while they checked what to do, but never got one. When I called two days later, was told they could book it and they cancelled the held booking.

Next up, a few days later, tried to book two economy Melbourne to Auckland on Air NZ. Award seats showed on all Star alliance partners, but Virgin couldn't see the seats. HUCA, they could see seats but only two days earlier, I said to go for those, but they couldn't book due to some system issue. Was promised they would create the booking and that I would get a call back within 30 mins. Never got the call back. When I tried calling again a few hours later, no booking had been made or put on hold, and the award seats had gone by that stage.

HOPELESS.
That sounds pretty bad. For what it's worth, my positive experiences booking redemptions on partner airlines using VS miles have been (In order of ease): DL, NH, CA // SA, SQ, NZ. There is a dramatic drop in availability and ease of booking - in my experience - between the first three and latter three airlines in my list.

Search this Thread