Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

(Master Thread) except ANA (NH) using VS points.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 8, 2015, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: geclub1
Flying Club Contact Info

USA +1 800 365 9500

SOUTH AFRICA +27 11 340 3535

HONG KONG +852 2532 6060 9 AM to 6 PM M-F 9 AM to 2 PM Sat

CHINA +86 21 5353 4600

INDIA +1-800-102-3000 ( Toll Free )
+91-124-4693030

CARIBBEAN +1 800 744 7477

Tips to Book Partner Awards:

Delta:

Check af.com for availability.

Virgin Australia:

One-way awards possible
Print Wikipost

(Master Thread) except ANA (NH) using VS points.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2017, 3:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.
Can anyone share experience of booking a VS/DL award with VS miles?

I want to do MAN - LAS but there seems to be 0 availability for the rest of the year in UC or even PE.

So I thought I could do MAN>ATL>LAS. However the new website is still useless and can't seem to comprehend an award booking on anything other than a direct VS route.

Has anyone managed anything like this?
Old Apr 13, 2017, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CommanderB
Can anyone share experience of booking a VS/DL award with VS miles?

I want to do MAN - LAS but there seems to be 0 availability for the rest of the year in UC or even PE.

So I thought I could do MAN>ATL>LAS. However the new website is still useless and can't seem to comprehend an award booking on anything other than a direct VS route.

Has anyone managed anything like this?
IIRC you can only book rewards on DL for the direct flights to/from the U.S. i.e. no connections.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:32 am

Booked DL ATL-EZE x2 in J for 90k VS + $90 each.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:40 am

Does VS allow you to hold a booking for any amount of time? I currently just have MR points so I'd have to transfer them over to make a booking. Or, assuming it's an instant transfer, will the phone agents wait on the line while I make the transfer?
Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.
I've heard reports of phone agents holding G's before. But I have never done it myself...
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by GiantCow
Does VS allow you to hold a booking for any amount of time? I currently just have MR points so I'd have to transfer them over to make a booking. Or, assuming it's an instant transfer, will the phone agents wait on the line while I make the transfer?
Yes. and Yes.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
Booked 3 x J DL HND-LAX for 180,000 miles +$120.18.

Under normal circumstances booking via VS requires 20k less miles than Delta wants in Skymiles (80k lowest award). The current membership rewards 30% transfer bonus made this an even better deal.

Also was able to put the flights on a 72 hour hold while I confirmed I wanted to ticket. The VS confirmation code actually disappeared from being able to look the reservation up, and when I called back the agent had to track it down. But the DL reservation number was always visible on delta.com.
bizum likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by dbuckho
Booked 3 x J DL HND-LAX for 180,000 miles +$120.18.

Under normal circumstances booking via VS requires 20k less miles than Delta wants in Skymiles (80k lowest award). The current membership rewards 30% transfer bonus made this an even better deal.

Also was able to put the flights on a 72 hour hold while I confirmed I wanted to ticket. The VS confirmation code actually disappeared from being able to look the reservation up, and when I called back the agent had to track it down. But the DL reservation number was always visible on delta.com.
this is big news if DL awards are now priced at half the roundtrip price using VS miles. are you sure DL J HND-LAX one-way is 60K VS miles?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
If you go into the website and drill down to spend miles, then spend partners, and then into Delta it now says One-way trips are permitted at half of the round-trip mileage shown below.

Was surprised when I saw it and other parts of the site still say round-trip required. But I did book 3 Delta One seats for 180k total/60k each.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
If you go into the website and drill down to spend miles, then spend partners, and then into Delta it now says One-way trips are permitted at half of the round-trip mileage shown below.

Was surprised when I saw it and other parts of the site still say round-trip required. But I did book 3 Delta One seats for 180k total/60k each.
This: allowing one-way booking on DL, is a huge step in the right direction.
However, the next sentence takes it all back:

If a journey requires a connecting flight or stopover to reach the destination, miles are charged for each sector.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M

Finally. Now they should allow online booking.

Originally Posted by geclub1
This: allowing one-way booking on DL, is a huge step in the right direction.
However, the next sentence takes it all back:

If a journey requires a connecting flight or stopover to reach the destination, miles are charged for each sector.
Why does VS not do things properly?
Old May 1, 2017, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Looks like VS finally started allowing more one-ways. All partners now can be booked one-way except for NH and MH. SK is not a redemption partner itself. All such partners have this clause about mileage applying for each segment.
Old May 1, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Looks like VS finally started allowing more one-ways. All partners now can be booked one-way except for NH and MH. SK is not a redemption partner itself. All such partners have this clause about mileage applying for each segment.
Of course NH is the one airline i need one way!
Old May 16, 2017, 5:07 am

Programs: BAEC, VS, Marriott, HH, Hertz PC
Does anybody have any recent updates on the CA LHR-PEK route being available for bookings again?
Old May 23, 2017, 12:10 pm

deleted

Last edited by rudayo; May 23, 2017 at 1:24 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.