Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

(Master Thread) except ANA (NH) using VS points.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 8, 2015, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: geclub1
Flying Club Contact Info

USA +1 800 365 9500

SOUTH AFRICA +27 11 340 3535

HONG KONG +852 2532 6060 9 AM to 6 PM M-F 9 AM to 2 PM Sat

CHINA +86 21 5353 4600

INDIA +1-800-102-3000 ( Toll Free )
+91-124-4693030

CARIBBEAN +1 800 744 7477

Tips to Book Partner Awards:

Delta:

Check af.com for availability.

Virgin Australia:

One-way awards possible
Print Wikipost

(Master Thread) except ANA (NH) using VS points.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2016, 6:24 am

Programs: Skyteam Elite+, VS Red, HHonours Diamond, Accor Plat
Bookings available to krisflyer members are significantly different to those available for partner redemptions as you've just found out.

I suggest you read the sticky at the top of the forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgi...vs-points.html

particularly this post http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgi...l#post26707194
Old Jul 28, 2016, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Have a look at the 'booking patner rewards' thread at the top of the page. [EDIT - beaten to it!]

VS have different availability to SQ as they (SQ) restrict the plane types VS rewards are available on.

From the SQ page on VS

Redemptions in Business Class and First Class on their A380-800, 777-300ER and A340-500 aircraft types are not available.
So that may be the limiting factor in using VS miles
Old Jul 28, 2016, 8:02 am

Route was sin-mle Return
Is there any partner websites i can check for avalability before wasting another1/2 hour on phone
Old Jul 28, 2016, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
That was remarkably poor and lazy advice by the VS agent to ask you to call SQ.

You can check what availability SQ provide to Star Alliance partners via ANA, Aeroplan or sometimes Avianca. There is still no guarantee that anything offered to a Star Alliance partner is also offered to Virgin Atlantic.

But, as mentioned, SQ retain much of their award space for their own Krisflyer members. If VS can't see anything from SIN-MLE, that situation is unlikely to change, especially since this route is likely to be popular amongst those Singapore residents most likely to have lots of Krisflyer miles.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 3:54 pm

Programs: VS Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Quick question regarding booking award flights on DL - I know the Wiki says to use AirFrance to search for award availability which is great for getting an idea of DL F awards by searching for Business award availability with AF - however, when I search some routes I can purchase with $ or miles on delta.com e.g. SFO-BNE, AirFrance prefers China Eastern/Southern for awards.

Are there any other sites I can use to get an idea of Delta's award availability open to VS on these routes?
Old Aug 15, 2016, 10:21 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Virgin Gold
So bloody annoying....

Been trying to get a partner award flight on Virgin America using Flying Club miles. Eventually one opens up except Virgin Atlantic can't get it confirmed when they add to my itinerary, they suggest i speak to Virgin America to confirm availability.

I explain it all to Virgin America and they say that availability for that flight for a partner award booking is wide open, no problems there end. I go back to Virgin Atlantic who report the same error and don't offer any ways that i can resolve this.

Didn't i read somewhere about a better transparancy of partner award bookings, it drives me potty having to waste 10 mins every week or so trying to get a flight just to be denied...
Old Sep 1, 2016, 3:47 pm

Just starting to dabble with booking VS partner awards for an upcoming trip to Australia. If I want to do LAX-SYD-CNS that will price as two awards, right? The LAX-SYD and SYD-CNS being considered separate awards.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 10:46 am
fjk

Someone post some success stories! The thread has fizzled out but I am still holding out hope that the experience will improve.

I have 200k flying club points and have been trying to get NH or SQ award to TYO in 2017 without finding any availability so far...
Old Sep 16, 2016, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
are charts posted some where for redemption on partners (NH, NZ etc)?
Old Sep 16, 2016, 10:16 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic
Original Poster

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
are charts posted some where for redemption on partners (NH, NZ etc)?

All the partners and their redemption opportunities / rates are posted on the VS website - http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/gb/en.../airlines.html

However, this thread shows that the hype and the reality for redemptions, are not quite the same thing.

Nick
Old Sep 17, 2016, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, IHG Spire, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Nottingham Nick
However, this thread shows that the hype and the reality for redemptions, are not quite the same thing.

Nick
A rep I spoke to basically admitted to the same thing. Said that Delta and VX redemptions were very straightforward and that she had done many of them, but for other partners, was very difficult.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 8:14 pm

Programs: Velocity Platinum, UA MM
Had no problem at all redeeming VS points for two return tickets on Hawaiian Airlines. SYD-HNL
Old Sep 20, 2016, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by anime333
A rep I spoke to basically admitted to the same thing. Said that Delta and VX redemptions were very straightforward and that she had done many of them, but for other partners, was very difficult.
That's actually shocking, considering Delta's lack of award space.

On a side note, if I want to go LAX-SYD and all VA has open is LAX-BNE-SYD, that is going to price as two awards, right? One for LAX-BNE and another for BNE-SYD.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 7:36 pm

I also can report success with VX. Easily obtained 3 seats in first class, if only every airline made so many redemption seats available in premium cabins.

Have tried many times for seats ex Europe with ANA with absolutely no success.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 4:20 pm

Just called VS, USA #, to book ORD - HND, RT in NH F. Found the availability with United. Agent at VS put me on hold for a minute to request the seats. Came back in a few minutes with a confirmation number and to confirm that the seats were held. Went out to Citi TY to transfer points to VS account. Logged back into VS and all the points were there. Called VS and payed the taxes and fees. Total time on the phone with VS was about 20 minutes (It took them a good 8 minutes to figure out the taxes and fees).

Really pretty easy all things considered and took very little time or stress. Good luck to everyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.