FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-atlantic-airways-flying-club-506/)
-   -   (Master Thread) except ANA (NH) using VS points. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-atlantic-airways-flying-club/1536839-master-thread-except-ana-nh-using-vs-points.html)

ankomonkey Oct 5, 2015 2:28 am

It does have the following under the domestic chart:

"International Travel

Round trip redemptions on International flights from:

15,000 miles in Economy
30,000 miles in Business Class
40,000 miles in First Class

Destinations include: Japan, USA, Hawaii, Germany, France, China, India and Guam"

So it looks like UK-JP redemptions are no longer available if the included list is exhaustive rather than just a selection.

We were trying to get my wife a return UK-JP ticket in any class recently and gave up as there was no availability, and the costs of calling repeatedly to submit new dates was adding up... Useless!

geclub1 Oct 5, 2015 10:57 am

Originally Posted by nufnuf77 (Post 25517716)
I am looking at booking ANA First LHR-TYO-SEA r/t using my Virgin Atlantic miles. I cannot find the mileage chart - could somebody help me figure out how many miles this would be?
PS: Would it be possible to get a 1 or 2 day-long stopover in Tokyo whilst booking as one award?

I have a copy saved as of 15JUL15. PM me your email address and I will forward you a copy.

Originally Posted by ankomonkey (Post 25519071)

Destinations include: Japan, USA, Hawaii, Germany, France, China, India and Guam"

So it looks like UK-JP redemptions are no longer available if the included list is exhaustive rather than just a selection.

The chart as of 15JUL15 had the same list of destinations, but then in the next paragraph, they provide an example itin of LHR-TYO-SIN return.

mintcilantro Oct 5, 2015 11:51 am

i had saved an image as well
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...chart-ana.html

IS there any special trick to booking ANA awards with virgin. I can see award space on united/aeroplan but the virgin offices in uk/us/hong kong cannot see anything. I have done HUCA atleast 3 times for each of these locations

nufnuf77 Oct 5, 2015 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by ankomonkey (Post 25519071)
It does have the following under the domestic chart:

"International Travel

Round trip redemptions on International flights from:

15,000 miles in Economy
30,000 miles in Business Class
40,000 miles in First Class

We were trying to get my wife a return UK-JP ticket in any class recently and gave up as there was no availability, and the costs of calling repeatedly to submit new dates was adding up... Useless!

Thanks, I expect availability to be an issue, but I shall be very flexible.

Originally Posted by geclub1 (Post 25520759)
I have a copy saved as of 15JUL15. PM me your email address and I will forward you a copy.

The chart as of 15JUL15 had the same list of destinations, but then in the next paragraph, they provide an example itin of LHR-TYO-SIN return.

mintcilantro posted the link to it, so no need, but thank you so much for the offer. Do you know a reliable way to check ANA availability on VS without having to spend a day on the call?

Originally Posted by mintcilantro (Post 25521031)
i had saved an image as well
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...chart-ana.html

IS there any special trick to booking ANA awards with virgin. I can see award space on united/aeroplan but the virgin offices in uk/us/hong kong cannot see anything. I have done HUCA atleast 3 times for each of these locations

Thanks, this is really helpful.

Is 22000 miles the max I can do? I think LHR-TYO-SEA should be fine, but LHR-TYO-SYD or LHR-TYO-JFK are over this 22k limit which is a shame.

And I promise this is a last question, but what happens to amount of miles required where ANA only offers business on some legs of the otherwise First class journey, eg LHR(First)-TYO-(Business)HKG. Can this be issued as 1 ticket for F miles on VS, or does it have to be split to 2 separate bookings?

mintcilantro Oct 5, 2015 12:43 pm

i don't mind the questions but i don't know the answers either. I tried an award booking yesterday to find out if stopovers/open jaws are allowed. I don't trust teh agent i talked to who said open jaws are not allowed. He wanted to add extra 15k miles for the ITM to NRT segment I tried to add

in the end they couldn't confirm the award availability so I didn't book it. Do let us know what you find out.

geclub1 Oct 5, 2015 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by nufnuf77 (Post 25521181)
Is 22000 miles the max I can do? I think LHR-TYO-SEA should be fine, but LHR-TYO-SYD or LHR-TYO-JFK are over this 22k limit which is a shame.

The chart I have goes up to 34,000 miles.

nufnuf77 Oct 7, 2015 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by geclub1 (Post 25521365)
The chart I have goes up to 34,000 miles.

PM sent, interested in this because doing LHR TYO SYD r/t would be interesting! :)

UA Fan Oct 13, 2015 12:56 pm

Here is something I observed while trying to book DL awards with VS miles. I found the flights I wanted on dl.com and then called VS. Tried to book DFW-LAX-NRT. The agent mentioned that the DFW-LAX segment was not available. I then tried just DFW-LAX on dl.com and it did not come out available at low level. So if you encounter such issues, it might be because of married segments.

I asked the VS agent to not do a segment by segment search and try searching DFW-NRT and that also did not come up available. I then went to af.com and that DL combination was not showing as available. So not only does DL have married segments, they allow them just with DL miles. I guess before calling VS, try checking af.com for the DL flights you want.

mintcilantro Oct 13, 2015 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan (Post 25559080)
Here is something I observed while trying to book DL awards with VS miles. I found the flights I wanted on dl.com and then called VS. Tried to book DFW-LAX-NRT. The agent mentioned that the DFW-LAX segment was not available. I then tried just DFW-LAX on dl.com and it did not come out available at low level. So if you encounter such issues, it might be because of married segments.

I asked the VS agent to not do a segment by segment search and try searching DFW-NRT and that also did not come up available. I then went to af.com and that DL combination was not showing as available. So not only does DL have married segments, they allow them just with DL miles. I guess before calling VS, try checking af.com for the DL flights you want.

Great point. In my case, virgin could see teh DL domestic and international segment but wanted to charge me extra for the domestic segment. At that point I gave up and decided to book with AF instead. Maybe I just got an incompetent agent but I just couldn't put up with all the games VS plays. I've called the US # and I always get british accent agents and they are generally neither competent nor helpful. They are creative for sure. They come up with new reasons everytime why they can't do the booking or can't connect segments or can't make changes to an award.

zimne Oct 18, 2015 9:02 am

Air China Update

Originally Posted by whole9yards (Post 25301780)
Hi all

Has anyone else had problem booking redemption flight on Air China? I always use my Virgin miles for my parents flights to/from LHR, but today I was told that as from 14th July, VS staff were told to halt all redemption booking on Air China using VS miles! Does anyone know why this is? Is the partnership with CA coming to an end?

HELP! :(

Called VS today regarding the Air China booking issue, the rep advised that the last memo about this was dated 28/09, and ALL redemptions on CA are still blocked. No timeframe available on when this issued could be fixed yet.

mobilemario Oct 30, 2015 5:14 am

My experience using VS miles on SQ:

ANA's website showing availability in J.
CPH-SIN, various dates.
1st call(UK office) nothing available.
2nd call(UK office) nothing.
3rd call(HKG office) date requested, 24h wait time. Next day had a call saying no availability...
4th call(UK office) finally some hope! Got a booking ref no and asked to ring back. I called today to be told that the booking request came back as unconfirmed from SQ.

These are the same flights you can book with ANA miles instantly!
So there you go. The true value of VS miles :td:

geclub1 Oct 30, 2015 10:27 am

Originally Posted by mobilemario (Post 25637371)
My experience using VS miles on SQ:

ANA's website showing availability in J.
CPH-SIN, various dates.
1st call(UK office) nothing available.
2nd call(UK office) nothing.
3rd call(HKG office) date requested, 24h wait time. Next day had a call saying no availability...
4th call(UK office) finally some hope! Got a booking ref no and asked to ring back. I called today to be told that the booking request came back as unconfirmed from SQ.

These are the same flights you can book with ANA miles instantly!
So there you go. The true value of VS miles :td:

I would not mark this against VS so readily. ANA website has seen some phantom award availabilities ever since the web upgrade in April.
Since VS has actually submitted long-sell and the space came back as unconfirmed, I would lean towards that it is actually phantom space.

Nottingham Nick Oct 30, 2015 10:54 am

Originally Posted by mobilemario (Post 25637371)
................. The true value of VS miles :td:

The true value of VS miles for partner booking, maybe.
They still offer good value for flights on VS metal IMHO, just wish they would sort this partner debacle out. :td:

Nick

mintcilantro Oct 30, 2015 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Nottingham Nick (Post 25638727)
The true value of VS miles for partner booking, maybe.
They still offer good value for flights on VS metal IMHO, just wish they would sort this partner debacle out. :td:

Nick

I had the same expeirence trying to redeem on NH flights. I confirmed availability on UA and AC websites.

I think most people in US are used to not paying scam charges that you end up having to pay if you fly VS using VS miles. Elsewhere people view miles as a discount coupon rather than a mostly free flight. So you probably see some value on redeeming on VS but I don't.

Nottingham Nick Oct 30, 2015 4:10 pm

Good point about the charges, but we have been paying YQ on VS and BA for so long that we have got used to them. :td::td:

Nick