FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-atlantic-airways-flying-club-506/)
-   -   Instant silver/gold (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-atlantic-airways-flying-club/1506754-instant-silver-gold.html)

Flying Bat Oct 13, 2013 5:54 am

Virgin Silver Available

A work friend of mine found a very neat way

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Virgin-Sil...item20d98689eb

adl73x Dec 7, 2013 6:18 pm

On VS3001 3rd Dec 2014 Flying Club membership forms were being handed out, and the flight supervisor announced that if you had a card with BA they would match that. (They did not say to what, or how).

I asked, and was told it was for new Flying Club members only.

There was nothing special about the form - and nowhere to put any existing frequent flyer number, neither BAEC nor Flying Club.

No mention of membership nor matching at all the following day on VS3008.

Silver Fox Dec 8, 2013 1:08 am

Interestingly, looking at my Virgin account yesterday I noticed it says something like "Your membership number has changed" for 3/12/13 - but it hasn't, and I did not sign up for any offers. If I can summon up the will to call them I will ask them about it.

adl73x Dec 9, 2013 3:19 pm

Yes, my BA Silver was matched to VS Silver with a slow-jog-track to Gold (20 TPs in 7 months). OZ Diamond Plus and CX Gold were ignored. (ie. none would match directly to Gold).

LDNConsultant Dec 15, 2013 8:29 am

It depends on the company and mine actually gives away complementary Silver membership for Virgin Atlantic, however I still fly BA :P

FlyerTalker7654 Dec 16, 2013 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by ExpatExp (Post 21577894)
Instant Silver and fast track to Gold have been available through FoundersCard for some time. However you have to be a FC member which costs about USD$300. I've been waiting until my next VS flight to set it up, as it only lasts for a year if you don't requalify. After 20 TPs you are bumped to Gold. An invitation is required for FC; PM me if any interest.

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/1518/08mi.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Have you checked the rates on Virgin? Are they really 20% less then published rates from US to UK? Surely they won't get cheaper rates then say Expedia?

ExpatExp Dec 16, 2013 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by SgtRyan (Post 21978474)
Have you checked the rates on Virgin? Are they really 20% less then published rates from US to UK? Surely they won't get cheaper rates then say Expedia?

As I haven't yet needed to fly VS, I'm still waiting to redeem this benefit, so there hasn't been any need for me to check flight prices.

I do, however, believe that VS can offer cheaper tickets than what's available on Expedia, if VS choose to do so. If you redeem that FC benefit, you are given a special telephone number and special email address at VS; send VS your preferred flights when you are ready to book, and they will apply the discount, process the payment, and issue the ticket.

FlyerTalker7654 Dec 17, 2013 10:56 am

Originally Posted by ExpatExp (Post 21978988)
As I haven't yet needed to fly VS, I'm still waiting to redeem this benefit, so there hasn't been any need for me to check flight prices.

I do, however, believe that VS can offer cheaper tickets than what's available on Expedia, if VS choose to do so. If you redeem that FC benefit, you are given a special telephone number and special email address at VS; send VS your preferred flights when you are ready to book, and they will apply the discount, process the payment, and issue the ticket.

Interesting. Now that I am located in SFO I have not travelled as much last 12 months. That said, was looking at Premium economy to go home in March and Virgin, Expedia etc are all around $1500. 20% off is good as that would basically pay for the membership to this club...and then should I take another flight home Im saving so well worth it....

Thomastraveller Jan 25, 2014 7:15 am

Instant Silver

I also acquired mine from ebay, Silver was showing in less than an hour :p

Silver Fox Jan 25, 2014 10:32 am

I have dropped from silver to red, I really did not see any advantage to being silver given that I only fly PE with Virgin anyway.

Steve Oh Jan 26, 2014 12:19 am

Originally Posted by LDNConsultant (Post 21969090)
It depends on the company and mine actually gives away complementary Silver membership for Virgin Atlantic, however I still fly BA :P

My Wife's best friend works for a certain company and was able to get us instant Silver too - handy for the extra miles but not much else.
Would be better if VS Silver was similar to BA.

bitgiggy Jan 27, 2014 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Thomastraveller (Post 22219255)
I also acquired mine from ebay, Silver was showing in less than an hour :p

Was tempted by the ebay thing but missed out! Will keep my eye out.

binman Feb 18, 2014 12:00 pm

Flew little red recently and they are offering status match to BA silver/Gold cards. The form is available on board and is returned to crew. I did mine so will wait to see what happens.

adl73x Feb 18, 2014 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by adl73x (Post 21923360)
On VS3001 3rd Dec 2014 Flying Club membership forms were being handed out, and the flight supervisor announced that if you had a card with BA they would match that. (They did not say to what, or how).

I asked, and was told it was for new Flying Club members only.

There was nothing special about the form - and nowhere to put any existing frequent flyer number, neither BAEC nor Flying Club.

No mention of membership nor matching at all the following day on VS3008.

I did mention the status match earlier in the thread. Glad you found the opportunity.

As a datapoint, my match to silver in Dec automatically became gold last week after I had earned 20 tier points ( through 20 Little Red sectors).