Singapore

Old Sep 3, 2013, 3:57 am
Original Poster

Singapore

The place and the airline...

Do Virgin still code share on Singapore Airlines? If so, for how long?

If not, would they be brave enough to launch SIN as a route on their own metal?

It's a massive hole in the network in terms of Asian business locations, and now that Qantas are gone too, there is no decent premium economy on it.

Who might they code share with for onward connections, if you had a wider Asian itinerary (and wanted to return from PVG/HKG for example?)
Old Sep 3, 2013, 10:59 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Virgin Atlantic still list SQ as a code share partner.

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/gb/en...-airlines.html

How long for? Or, given the propensity of VS IT to be behind the times, is it still true? Who knows!

I would like to see VS fly to SIN, but haven't heard the rumour on GalleyFM. The latest one there is the second HKG being re-instated, and that one maybe travelling on to Perth - which would be great ^

I think the dust needs to settle on the Delta "alliance" and let Craig Kreeger get his feet firmly under the table before anything significant is announced.

Nick
Old Sep 4, 2013, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Seems such an obvious one, but then is also on my personal wishlist!

HKG - again, lost both Qantas and Air NZ (and BA's additional flight didn't happen) so the demand should be there. On to Perth would be interesting, and a 'first' in terms of a direct flight from the UK.

Although HKG is a little indirect/east for PER, unlike other down under routes.

I appreciate it's a 'head down' time to get back to profitability and transitioning, but would be nice to have some morsels. SEA by VS would be great, and Sao Paulo seems so obvious too.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by cazoz

I appreciate it's a 'head down' time to get back to profitability and transitioning, but would be nice to have some morsels. SEA by VS would be great, and Sao Paulo seems so obvious too.

DL are starting a LHR-SEA flight next year so not an option for VS. I think SEA was included as being DLs in the Joint Venture.

VS have long had permission to fly to Rio for ages but not done so. You'd have thought that with the World Cup in 2014 and the Olympics in 2016 that they would have started a service by now - it's not like both events are sudden surprises !
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:50 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by Nottingham Nick
I would like to see VS fly to SIN, but haven't heard the rumour on GalleyFM. The latest one there is the second HKG being re-instated, and that one maybe travelling on to Perth - which would be great ^
It would be great... but looking at things..

VS only have 787's on order ( lets forget about A380 as that is years away if at all).

So currently all the 787's due next year will replace A340-300's 1 for 1.

So that pretty much rules out any new GROWTH for next year. Though we may see new routes ie ATL? or increased frequencies HKG? it will mean the loss of a route somewhere else... ie VS drop BOS give it to DL and VS use that aircraft to fly to ATL or perhaps the SYD tag gets dropped?
Interesting times, but with no new aircraft coming to grow next year it will be at least 2015 before VS grow from LHR IMHO. ( I beleive LGW has a bit of spare capacity to grow)
Old Sep 4, 2013, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by ANstar
.......... ie VS drop BOS give it to DL and VS use that aircraft to fly to ATL .........
Or use that a/c for the second HKG ???

I would hate to see BOS dropped as it is my favourite route, but the rumour of it happening won't go away apparently.

Nick
Old Sep 5, 2013, 2:14 am
Original Poster

I would hate to see BOS dropped too - it's a handy, short sector and I always found very busy. Delta fly it too though, so could go either way.

It's a shame not to see much expansion currently, especially as others (notably BA) are able to do so - but hopefully things will look up on this front too.

EDI on Little Red is apparently doing very well. Not so sure about the other two.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I would hate to see BOS dropped too - it's a handy, short sector and I always found very busy. Delta fly it too though, so could go either way.
Given that VS started LHR-BOS way before DL did I think they get first dibbs on it.

But again both the the VS and DL BOS flights are listed in the JV proposal that was approved by both US and EU authorities on the basis that it would increase competition against BA-AA.

Bit rich to get approval then go and cancel one of them. Regulators could see that as a bad faith action
Old Sep 5, 2013, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Given that VS started LHR-BOS way before DL did I think they get first dibbs on it.

But again both the the VS and DL BOS flights are listed in the JV proposal that was approved by both US and EU authorities on the basis that it would increase competition against BA-AA.

Bit rich to get approval then go and cancel one of them. Regulators could see that as a bad faith action
I assumed that both would go to one single airline, rather than cancelling one. It would help strengthen the brand for the city.

Two flights a day is needed, surely.

What happened with a similar situation with Miami? Didn't Delta fly there a few years back for the same reason? That to me would be better suited to Virgin (if Delta took on both Bostons).
Old Sep 6, 2013, 9:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, United MileagePlus, TrueBlue, Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan (starting 2016)
I assumed that both would go to one single airline, rather than cancelling one. It would help strengthen the brand for the city.

Two flights a day is needed, surely.

What happened with a similar situation with Miami? Didn't Delta fly there a few years back for the same reason? That to me would be better suited to Virgin (if Delta took on both Bostons).

I could see both VS and DL serving BOS. VS using the A330 and leaving BOS around the current time 7:45 and possibly DL doing a 767 or 757 (winter) timed for optimal connections in LHR.

Also, didn't VS recently do over the BOS clubhouse?
Old Sep 12, 2013, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
So what happened to comments bout Singapore..?
Old Sep 13, 2013, 2:24 am
Original Poster

I tried... I don't think anyone knows what the future holds for VS and Singapore (SIN and SQ).
Old Sep 13, 2013, 3:17 am

I tried... I don't think anyone knows what the future holds for VS and Singapore (SIN and SQ).
I think that about sums it up

We will just have to wait and see.

Nick
Old Jul 22, 2020, 2:43 am

Programs: QF, KLM, BA
This is an old thread, but the question is much the same, so I thought I'd ask here.

Does VS fly to Singapore? I'm just doing a bit of research for a future trip to UK from Australia. I realise they don't fly to Australia any more. But with all the changes due to covid, I can't tell where they fly to in SE Asia. I wouldn't be prepared to fly via Hong Kong (even in transit) due to the current political climate.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by weegraeme
This is an old thread, but the question is much the same, so I thought I'd ask here.

Does VS fly to Singapore? I'm just doing a bit of research for a future trip to UK from Australia. I realise they don't fly to Australia any more. But with all the changes due to covid, I can't tell where they fly to in SE Asia. I wouldn't be prepared to fly via Hong Kong (even in transit) due to the current political climate.
Hi,

Virgin do not fly to Singapore ( only India. Shanghai and Hong Kong). However they codeshare with Singapore Airlines

Regards

TBS

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.