FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-atlantic-airways-flying-club-506/)
-   -   The Tesco 50% Promotion Thing (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-atlantic-airways-flying-club/1428485-tesco-50-promotion-thing.html)

Steve Oh Jan 16, 2013 11:38 am

The Tesco 50% Promotion Thing

Do you have to manually choose to convert the points before the 5th March or will it autoconvert itself before the offer expires?

I've just taken a look at my Clubcard balance and it's quite nice :)

higham44 Jan 16, 2013 3:21 pm

I suggest that you convert any existing Tesco CC vouchers that you have before March manually to ensure that you get the 50% bonus.

Then tick auto-convert for any future Clubcard points that are issued to be converted into Virgin Miles rather than being issued as CC vouchers.

craigthemif Jan 17, 2013 2:46 am

Yeah, I had signed up for auto-convert, but turned it off again as I wasn't quite convinced of getting the 50% bonus and I have too many clubcard points to risk it, on the off chance they let me have the 1000 bonus for a 2nd time...

Hopefully I can get the vouchers in February, convert to VS miles, then turn on the auto-convert before 5 March to try and get the 1000 miles...

woggledog Jan 17, 2013 7:04 am

A very cheap way of getting 1,000 points:

1,000 EXTRA CLUBCARD POINTS WHEN YOU RENT 2 MOVIES. First 10,000 new, qualifying customers only. See blinkbox page for full Terms & Conditions.

£2.52 cash back, and £7 spend gets you 1,000 points.

higham44 Jan 17, 2013 10:11 am

Originally Posted by woggledog (Post 20065743)
A very cheap way of getting 1,000 points:

1,000 EXTRA CLUBCARD POINTS WHEN YOU RENT 2 MOVIES. First 10,000 new, qualifying customers only. See blinkbox page for full Terms & Conditions.

£2.52 cash back, and £7 spend gets you 1,000 points.

I saw that and registered, however, many of the movies I fancied downloading to my Mac weren't available as downloads, only purchases. Frustrating really.

Steve Oh Jan 18, 2013 4:38 am

Originally Posted by higham44 (Post 20061572)
I suggest that you convert any existing Tesco CC vouchers that you have before March manually to ensure that you get the 50% bonus.

Then tick auto-convert for any future Clubcard points that are issued to be converted into Virgin Miles rather than being issued as CC vouchers.

Autoconvert it already ticked, but I will log on a couple of days before the offers end just to make sure I get the bonus :)

craigthemif Jan 18, 2013 6:06 am

1000 Tesco Clubcard points for £12.90, + another 500 for referring a friend...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/s-p-m...onga-line.html

Steve Oh Jan 18, 2013 9:46 am

Will be doing that when I get home, and will refer Mrs S, so will post her refer link up for someone to 'tag on' :D

pazza2000 Jan 23, 2013 2:33 pm

Does anyone suspect this Clubcard > VS bonus 50% uplift rate will be improved upon in the future? I definitely wish my clubcard stash to go over to VS, although I currently have no short-mid term need for them. Wondering if I should gamble and hold out for a better bonus rate in the future.

Thanks

higham44 Jan 23, 2013 11:04 pm

Crystal ball gazing on that one. Might be better to take what's on offer now than wait for something that may not happen and then lose out on the 50% uplift. I guess it depends on how much in Tesco vouchers you have to convert - if only £10 then it's neither here nor there!
:)

craigthemif Jan 24, 2013 2:11 am

50% is about the best its been... and presumably Tesco and VS would want to heavily push the new partnership (well 1 year old by now) so I can't see why there would be even bigger bonuses to come.

Only question is whether you might prefer Avios and hang on to your vouchers until the next Avios bonus comes along...

Steve Oh Jan 24, 2013 4:34 am

Having compared Avios availability to Virgin availability for CW/UC to Sydney, VS wins by a a thousand miles, so we're saving up for those at the moment.
Once we've got the amount we need we'll decide then if we're gonna stay with Virgin or move to Avios.

higham44 Jan 24, 2013 2:45 pm

If you can find availability on either to SYD you are doing well. Good luck.

Steve Oh Jan 25, 2013 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by higham44 (Post 20116861)
If you can find availability on either to SYD you are doing well. Good luck.

I've found 29 from LHR-HKG-LHR in November & December and 105 from HKG-SYD-HKG in the same 2 months.
I even rang the flying club number to confirm it wasn't an error and they confirmed that there were seats available.

Unbelievable when compared to BA's 3 out and 1 back.

The only thing I can think of to explain it is it's the maximum 330 days (or whatever it is) you can book in advance and people haven't booked yet.

higham44 Jan 25, 2013 2:54 pm

Spoilt for choice. Which you going for?