Premium Economy

Old Jan 10, 13, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, DC, IC
Premium Economy

Hi All
I'm looking to fly Virgin to Orlando from Manchester in November. I'm thinking Premium Economy but just wanted to gauge your views

Is it worth the extra money?

Seems the flights will be on 747's have all Premium Economy seats been upgraded or are they pretty poor as some reports suggest.

Premium Economy seems on the Upper Deck except for two rows downstairs when the seat reservations open which is best up or down?

Thanks
Old Jan 10, 13, 8:24 am

Programs: A variety of Platinums, Golds, Silvers and other fancy metals.
Less people upper, and IIRC the premium seats are closer to the nose.

I've never flown PE myself but on passing the seats they definitely look a lot more comfy, with only 2 on the sides as opposed to 3, cos they are that much bigger.

What is the price difference between E and PE?
Old Jan 10, 13, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steve Oh View Post
Less people upper, and IIRC the premium seats are closer to the nose.

I've never flown PE myself but on passing the seats they definitely look a lot more comfy, with only 2 on the sides as opposed to 3, cos they are that much bigger.

What is the price difference between E and PE?
Steve, currently the price difference is around 400 return
Old Jan 10, 13, 9:12 am

Hmmm, so 600/1000
That's not as easy as first though.

If you look at the VA site, the benefits on PE over E are plentiful, not to mention the extra baggage allowance for all your shopping.
Is it a family trip? Cos that could make a big difference too
Old Jan 10, 13, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
Originally Posted by mycity68 View Post
Hi All

Seems the flights will be on 747's have all Premium Economy seats been upgraded or are they pretty poor as some reports suggest.
ALL of the LGW/MAN/GLA 747s have been upgraded over the last 9 months or so and therefore it is important to consider if this is reflected in the reviews you have seen (or not)

Half of the bubble is PE and 1/2 Y. The small UC cabin (14 seats) occupies the nose on the main deck.
Old Jan 10, 13, 10:02 am

It is no doubt more comfortable than Y, but not even close to biz. Wider seats, a bit more legroom, a bit more recline, less pax, separate toilets (in theory)....not lie flat and for me does not enable sleep, but definitely a little more comfy than Y

Depends on the value you place on that little bit of extra comfort and/or the value you place on your 400!
Old Jan 10, 13, 12:50 pm

I think it's worth it on the way home, the jury is out for the outbound. That said, I think it's all down to whether you feel like you want the cash for your trip, or would rather spend it getting there.
Old Jan 10, 13, 1:21 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Starbucks Gold (free syrup, don't knock it), My John Lewis (free coffee and cake!)
Hi All
I'm looking to fly Virgin to Orlando from Manchester in November. I'm thinking Premium Economy but just wanted to gauge your views

Premium Economy seems on the Upper Deck except for two rows downstairs when the seat reservations open which is best up or down?

Thanks
Only you can decide whether it's worth spending the extra over economy. Personally, I've had enough of the relative discomfort of economy seats for my holidays, so I'm taking the plunge and doing it for the first time this Easter and I am reasonably confident I won't be disappointed (plus there's an element of curiousity there for me as it's the one class I've never flown before, being more used to UC for work...).

From what you are saying, you are looking at an out of date seating map - the refitted planes have a much larger downstairs PE cabin, and the bubble is now split to be PE at the front and Economy at the back - a decision that's caused quite a bit of debate, because an exclusive PE bubble was seen as a nice touch for people travelling in that class. Pity I missed out really.
Old Jan 10, 13, 1:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Personally I think the extra space and the upper deck is worth a bit more cash...

If you have the Flying Club miles you can also keep an eye out for upgrading to Upper Class... now that would be a no brainer!!
Old Jan 10, 13, 1:48 pm

Programs: VS Gold, IHG RA/Plat, Marriott Plat
If when the Economy is really busy, and you can't occupy two seats, PE is definitely worth the money. Especially if this is your first time try PE.

Comparing PE seats among all airlines, Virgin definitely is one of the best - if not the best. Don't do BA World Traveller Plus, that is waste of money. That is my personally view with at least 50 PE flights with Virgin.
Old Jan 10, 13, 1:56 pm

Wink

Hi All

Thanks
It is a good product and does make some difference but no lounge access, priority check in though and no qing!

Personally i would push the boat out a little and go eco out and upper class back, finish off ur hols in style!! UC is awesome!
Old Jan 10, 13, 3:03 pm

PE ticket does allow you to check-in at the Upper Class desk.
Old Jan 10, 13, 3:40 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Starbucks Gold (free syrup, don't knock it), My John Lewis (free coffee and cake!)
Originally Posted by Steve Oh View Post
PE ticket does allow you to check-in at the Upper Class desk.
Nope, you check in at the PE desk, unless of course you're a gold card holder
Old Jan 10, 13, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by ratechaser View Post
Nope, you check in at the PE desk, unless of course you're a gold card holder
Sorry, you're right. Don't know where I misread that, lol
Old Jan 10, 13, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Hi thanks for your replies very useful. I'd looked at the wrong configuration as suggested.

I've now booked, actually by moving my plans a day later only 261 each return extra in PE rather than economy, at that price I think its good value.

Search this Thread